Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

crashman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Roland MT-32

Post by crashman »

I use this at home...
Conmutador-de-6-entradas-y-1-salida-Selector-de-fuente-de-Audio-RCA-Selector-de-se.jpeg
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/40007158 ... 63c0t2jbwN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STFM, 1040STE, 4160STE, STACY 2, MEGA ST2, MEGA ST4, MEGA STE, TT030, FALCON030, FALCON030 with Centurbo 2rB, Firebee
SH204, Megafile 30, Megafile 60, Megafile 44
SM124, SM125, SM146, SC1224, SC1435
Satandisk, Ultrasatan, HxC SD, Hxc SD Slim, NetUSBee, CosmosEX, Gotek HxC, MicroCosmos
2600VCS, LYNX, LYNX II, JAGUAR
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Very nice. :)

I looked at the mixers but decided to go with a 2nd
set of speakers complete with a sub-woofer and more
"umph" for the Mega STe and I'll use my existing set for
the MT-32.

Can't wait to get it all in and c r a n k e d up! :)

I can see some long excursions of Ultima III and IV
in my future...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

For the record 'balanced' in the context of audio inputs or outputs means that neither side of the connection is tied to 0V, there is most likely an audio isolating transformer between each 6.3mm jack socket on the amplifier and the first amplifier stage, or a fancy preamplifier stage with two antiphased inputs.

This has nothing to do with 'Balance' as typically seen on stereo audio amplifiers where the control marked 'Balance' just alters the relative loudness of the two stereo output channels.

The outputs from the STE and the MT-32 should both be going into ordinary unbalanced line-level inputs - 'unbalanced' just means that one side of the audio connection is connected to circuit 0V, usually by the cable outer screen, and the other side / wire in the audio connection, the inner cable core, is the audio signal.

What you really needed was an audio mixer with at least two stereo line-level inputs or four individual line level inputs with separate level input controls for each input so you can reduce the audio level from the Ste and increase the level from the MT32. I use an old Realistic 32-1210 (sold by Tandy in the UK, but you would remember them as Radio Shack) - there are plenty around, a search on google for that catalogue / catalog number will find you some of these and similar models for very reasonable money on auction sites both in the UK and USA.

Oh by the way I also own an original MT-32, the first MIDI 'instrument' I ever owned, bought specifically to use with my original Atari STFM, which I also still have.

There is a list, somewhere on this site, of all ST titles known to have MIDI output although not all of them were specifically crafted to use the MT-32, some just output a generic polyphonic tune over one MIDI channel
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Thanks for the explanation.

I did just wind up going with 2 speaker sets. Probably overkill but it
sounds awesome! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”