WEB PAGE: Apollo Vampire V4+ running EmuTOS

Other FPGA systems, e.g. Turbo Chameleon.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: WEB PAGE: Apollo Vampire V4+ running EmuTOS

Post by Cyprian »

PeterS wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:04 pm Does the vampire run another OS and emulate an Atari or is emutos running on the bare metal ?
bare metal
EmuTOS touches the hardware directly
Lynx I / Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
OL
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by OL »

BlankVector wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:14 pm Superb EmuTOS fork!
But as usual, please respect the license (GPLv2). Rule is simple: if someone asks for the source of any GPL binary, the provider must also be able to provide the source. Easiest way to respect this rule is to always provide a source archive along with a binary. That's really easy, just zip the source folder and upload. Even if the source archive is messy, this isn't a problem in regard to the GPL, as long as those sources can be compiled.

I must admit that The EmuTOS development team asks for a very high level of code quality before inclusion to official sources. On the other hand, this mustn't slow down initiatives from other people. So such forks (in respect the GPL) are the way to go. Then at some point, if the new features are really amazing, as what we can see on the original post picture above, I'm sure we will find a way to merge the forked code into official EmuTOS. But this takes time and manpower to do that cleanly.
Hello Vincent

No problem for me, source code is available at http://v4sa-atari.lutece.net/, compare to github version I add only the 2 new resolution I think (one is STMid), the rest is my stupid start of work on sound, no time to do it, absolutely unclean source.

Olivier
OL
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

OL wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:13 pmNotice since freemint go to github, this is not anymore a cooperative work as in the past I'm afraid
Not sure what are you referring to but in the past there was Frank and Alan to whom you had to send your patch and hope it will be included. Otherwise your work was literally invisible, it wasn't possible to publish it anywhere unless you had your own web server with cvs/svn modules.

Now you can fork freemint/emutos/fvdi, put your changes there and the whole world can see/use them immediately. And if they get merged, people will get a new build in matter of minutes. It can't get more cooperative than this. :)

But if you prefer sending the patches the old school way, there's nobody stopping you, both FreeMiNT and EmuTOS mailing lists are ready for such contributions. All you have to do is to type "git diff > my_great_patch.diff" and send it to the mailing list. :)
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

stormy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 pmLet me get this straight... Guillaume patched fvdi and other drivers to make the Vampire work with high resolution & sound for other users, but then he was asked to remove them and now nobody can benefit from his work? This seems a shame. Was it really worth pointing out source code laws to him, who was going to sue him?
What was really worth doing was to remind Olivier to release the source code, what he did, so now not only Guillaume can add the binaries back to his page again but also the code is preserved in case of Olivier loses interest in the project. Win-win.
OL
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by OL »

mikro wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 pm
stormy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 pmLet me get this straight... Guillaume patched fvdi and other drivers to make the Vampire work with high resolution & sound for other users, but then he was asked to remove them and now nobody can benefit from his work? This seems a shame. Was it really worth pointing out source code laws to him, who was going to sue him?
What was really worth doing was to remind Olivier to release the source code, what he did, so now not only Guillaume can add the binaries back to his page again but also the code is preserved in case of Olivier loses interest in the project. Win-win.
Fully agree
OL
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

Surely it's easier to add the source than it is to delete the binaries.
Last edited by stormy on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

Wow, I see there that OL has mentioned the existence of an Ethernet driver for FreeMiNT on the V4SA!

Moulinaie, it should definitely be worth to add that on your page, with a NetSurf screen capture.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: React to keyboard in assembly language on Atari ST.
Moulinaie
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Moulinaie »

BlankVector wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:44 pm Wow, I see there that OL has mentioned the existence of an Ethernet driver for FreeMiNT on the V4SA!

Moulinaie, it should definitely be worth to add that on your page, with a NetSurf screen capture.
Sorry for the (looooooooong) delay! I didn't see your message.

I couldn't manage to use this driver...

Maybe one day. I think I have to update the firmware of the Vampire, get the very last version of EmuTOS and try again.

Guillaume.
mrbombermillzy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by mrbombermillzy »

I wish I had the time to set up the Vampire V2+, but for those who have a V2/V4 with the latest core/EmuTOS in easy reach...

Has anyone tried the Gem games/demos? (i.e. GEM Elite and the GFA demos with SOTB scroller).

I wonder how GEM compliant they are and whether they will fully/partially work on the Vamp cards?
Moulinaie
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Moulinaie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:19 pm I wish I had the time to set up the Vampire V2+, but for those who have a V2/V4 with the latest core/EmuTOS in easy reach...

Has anyone tried the Gem games/demos? (i.e. GEM Elite and the GFA demos with SOTB scroller).

I wonder how GEM compliant they are and whether they will fully/partially work on the Vamp cards?
If you've got some links, I can try them.

Guillaume.
mrbombermillzy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Of course! ;)

Well, Rajah Lone, who is a member here, has several GEM games (written with GFA BASIC) on his site (along with the SOTB demo): https://ptonthat.fr/category/atari-games/

And I cannot find a link for GEM Elite, so have included it here.

Let me know how you get on. :)
gem-elite.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:18 pm Well, Rajah Lone, who is a member here, has several GEM games (written with GFA BASIC) on his site (along with the SOTB demo): https://ptonthat.fr/category/atari-games/
Sadly Rajah left AF and said he was only coding for himself and wouldn't release anything more.
I don't blame him to be fair. Fighting against egos wanting to fragment the scene more ... see the 'good bye' thread.

Return to “Others”