Falcon and Cubase Audio

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Falcon and Cubase Audio

Post by fidzen »

I wonder how many in here that uses a Falcon and Cubase Audio today for music making?
I used a Falcon with JAM IN 8 and OUT 8 in my recording studio until 1997 when I switched
to PC. Thinking back I think the switch to PC partly killed my inspiration and in 2000 I closed
my studio. I haven't made music since then, but now I have a Falcon with CAF again and I
must say that I'm interested in testing again. But the question is if I do the right choice if
I start making music on the Falcon again or if I should go for a modern Mac instead.
I really like the basic way to record and arrange in CAF compared to the softwares today.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Falcon and Cubase Audio

Post by fidzen »

No one using their Falcon for music?
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

Haven't recorded anything really since the early/mid 2000s when I used to play in a band, and used to record things quite regularly using Cubase, but not had the time or room since then. The mac is always going to easier, faster and have all the gubbins, but a Falcon can do much the same job, albeit with lots of things hanging out the back.. so why not? :)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Atari74user »

I use CAF a little. It is there as an option for me, as I mostly use my digital multitrack. However given the SCSI only recording, I have tended now to shy away from CAF if I indulge in recording on the Falcon, only due to wanting to keep desk space free from SCSI drives, and no viable option via a SCSI SSD (I.e. no Ultrasatan, GigaFile due to driver restrictions, although SCSI CosmosEx could now fix this)
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Mal7921 »

I used the Falcon with Cubase Audio up until a few years ago, nwo the Falcon is in storage and the CAF disks and dongle are also stored away. I don't have the room for a full studio anymore and can devote little time to maintaining one. On the odd occasions when I do get back playing, I have Reason on the iMac, though these days when I do get into the media side, it is more video focused these days, which the Atari's cannot compete with in these days of 4K video. Even the MacBook Pro upgraded with SSD storage and stupid amounts of RAM struggles.
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Atarieterno »

ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

I still use my Atari Falcon.
People say I am weird because I also own a ton of PCs and yet I have them sat doint nothing, and the Falcon is there doing the work.

My arguement for still using the Atari, is a layered one

1 - I have spent nothing short of a small fortune over the years on my Music gear.
If I changed to PC, I would spend a great deal more, plus, all my old Music will be no longer accessible... I dont want that.

2 - While the tools on a PC are amazing and you can get some incredibly great results with minimal effort, I like my music to be 100% mine.
I use CuBase purely as a record myself and then spend loads of time correcting the many many errors ( annnoyingly more true than a joke ), and so I try to get really good results with old tech and old gear and old software.

3 - My computing life has been vastly altered at times

When I had my Commodores. I wwas very good at programmign them, When I went to the C64 I had to learn assembly much more than the Plus/4
When I went to the ST I started to play more than do any actual learning.
Then I got the Mega ST with the Mono screen and that stopped me playing games and I took it seriously.
Same with the TT - All serious proper work. The OCs were coming into their own and now after all these years, the serious stuff is all down the drain cos I play games more than anything.

The ONLY serious stuff I do now is Music on the Falcon with CuBase, and even then its nothing like I used to.

But if I tried to go with the PC for mousic, it will be the end of my music days forever.

I was very competent at programming with HiSoft Basic and I used DevPac 3 to write extra libraries and I was in the process of writing all kinds of sillt tricks for Basic such as sprite controls and various other animation things and so on, and when I moved to the PC I did a bit of STOS and QBasic, but other than that... My programming is now so bad that I cannot even do simple silly things without having to think, and so no, I dont bother.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

FatRakoon wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 am
I still use my Atari Falcon.
Hey FatRakoon great to see you still hanging around here. Hope you're recovering great !!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

wongck wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 am

Hey FatRakoon great to see you still hanging around here. Hope you're recovering great !!
Yeah thanks bud.

Recovery is a long haul, but I am well on teh way.

I no longer use my wheelchair and thas a massive plus, however, I am struggling at times and I could easily get back in... I do feel that if I start using it... I wont stop. I still have it ready but its been over a year since I have HAD to use it, so I hope to make that 2 and 3 and 4... and so on.

Mentally Im not in the best place. I have lost so much memory and I get confused over the simplest of things and thats hurting me more than anything.

I could get up and feel fine ( never physically, taht takes time to get working, but mentally I mean ) and yeah, I get up and I feel positive, so I do something and then I make a start and then I just go blank and start doing something else? - Its weird, but that happens almost daily

I often find myself in the middle of something I did last week, and then wondering why cos it was done?

But yeah, Im really good.

Thank you for asking.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by viking272 »

Nice to hear from you FK. We used mail each other about 10 years ago! I still have my Falcon and am toying with the idea of doing music with it.
I've just built a shed in the garden with space for a little Atari den. Just testing how dry/humid it is before I put my kit in it. :)

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

Mine was in the attic along with some PCs ( I had converted it into a computer room )

The top of it is open to the world because of the CT63 etc, and at one point, my idiot son, piled a load of magazines on the Falcon, the na Synthesizer and when we moved house, it was found under a load of junk.

I was unable to go back into the attic so I never realised the dammage.

When we moved home, I did not want to touch the Falcon for some time because I knew it was broken.

In the end, curiosity got to me, and I started it up.

It failed miserably in 030 mode it would start up and get to the desktop but not in 060 mode.
It would, in both modes crash and fart and spit and do everything it could except run well.

I asked Rodolphe to look at it and I didnt really care about the costs...

He did indeed sort it out for me and for that, I am forever in his debt, and he foudn a whole slew of issues and since I have had it back ,its been pretty much rock solid. Sure its hung and crashed a couple of times, but to be fair, when its done this, its only when booting up and once it gets to the desktoip, it never fails, so ( touch wood ) its as good as I can expect it.

I use the 060 version of CuBase Audio, however it does multiboot with Mint and the Jinnee Desktop ( I absolutely prefer Magic and still do ) and I do still have load of things on the HD. I would do more, but its mostly just the music these days.

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

FatRakoon wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm
I use the 060 version of CuBase Audio,
Theres a 060 version of Cubase?! 8O

Good for you for guys for using the Falcon with Cubase!

It IS just another vintage musical tool after all. Has everyone trashed their Moog synthesisers because they are too old? I think not.

Sometimes having tons of VST instruments can be creatively overwhelming. You can have too much choice. Keeping it simple, I find focuses you more on the task of making music instead.

I picked up CAF a while back. Unfortunately, my F030 is very poorly.

However, I do have a TT and a couple of Yamaha CBX-D5 units, but getting that all setup has eluded me so far....I think I just need some external HDD caddies from the H/W side of things.

I did try the simpler (lower quality) version of the above by plugging in a Replay16 and using Breaktrhru 2, but... the TT says no. :/

One day I will make it all happen!

In the meantime, Ive got the TT with non audio Cubase rigged up to an SY85. :)

Maybe we should all create an Atari Cubase club or something. lol

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

The 060 version of Cubase is just the CUBASE.PRG been changed to use the 060, or maybe jsut to NOT crash? Im not sure what is done to the file.
Its completely different size, but that could be down to compression of course, but yes, I am using the 060 version of Cubase.

I too have gone through BreakThru and BT2 and I may be wrong, but I am absolutely sure that I used it on my TT just fine???

Like with the ST, you need to make sure that it only used the STRAM and not the TT RAM. especially with the Sample playback.
Playing samples in the STE/TT is not possible unless you are using STRAM.

Maybe thats all it is? Its been quite a long time since and so I will admit that I might be completely wrong, and I am just confusing using the Mega and not the TT?

I agree that too much instruments is often silly.
I have done a lot of editting and programming some of the machines, the X5DR and the o5RW are great examples, but they have rotten SoundBanks.

I may be wrong here, but I also bought an NS5R and that can take an SW50WG Daughterboard.
The NS5R already has XG and TG303 but its either one or the other, and the XG Daughterboard will a=not only add a load more voices and the total voices playable at any one time too, and this requires a Firmware flash that can go wrong and so I never bothered to get it done.

This is also down to the fact that I have XG, GS, and GM machines already and so I dont need to risk one of my favourite machines just to make it do what lots of others can also do!

GM and XG etc were vital for me early on, Iwas desperate to allow me and my 23 mates who were doing some trachs together, for us to have GM and then XG, but now I am just piddlign about for myself, having that compatibility is no longer that important.

SY85? - I got a TG55, they have similarities, but do not have any cards for it other than whatever the hell is in it... I think that needs battery actually... The card that is?

ARGHH!! - its 4:11 am and I got to take the wife to work tomorrow!

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

FatRakoon wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:11 am
The 060 version of Cubase is just the CUBASE.PRG been changed to use the 060, or maybe jsut to NOT crash? Im not sure what is done to the file.
Its completely different size, but that could be down to compression of course, but yes, I am using the 060 version of Cubase.
I didnt know a version existed for the '060. Hmm... I wonder if it makes the timing WORSE than the regular 68000 version due to pipelining?
FatRakoon wrote:
I too have gone through BreakThru and BT2 and I may be wrong, but I am absolutely sure that I used it on my TT just fine???

Like with the ST, you need to make sure that it only used the STRAM and not the TT RAM. especially with the Sample playback.
Playing samples in the STE/TT is not possible unless you are using STRAM.
I will have to try again to see if its maybe a corrupt Breakthru exe or something, but something the age of Breakthru2 should have the correct memory request/allocation flags in the program header (I think BT2 came out around 1992/3), so it should deal with ST/TT RAM automatically. Im sure it even says TT is ok in the manual. I think the problem is in the sample playback with the Replay16.
FatRakoon wrote:
SY85? - I got a TG55, they have similarities, but do not have any cards for it other than whatever the hell is in it... I think that needs battery actually... The card that is?
TG55... that was my favourite module! (Well, I only owned that and a Yamaha TX7, so an easy win lol!) Its not too far off of what the 85 was really. No memory for samples, like you say, but I remember the onboard ones not being bad at all. In fact, I still have an audio cassette hanging around with some songs that were written with just that module and IIRC they dont sound too bad really.
FatRakoon wrote:
ARGHH!! - its 4:11 am and I got to take the wife to work tomorrow!
Oops! Sorry for keeping you up! :lol:

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

I have no issues with the Timing on mine.
I wish I had the skills to reqally push it, but other than simply padding out orchestral voices to fill them up and try to make them sound even more realistic ( it can often work too ), I have not found any timing issues at all in 060 mode over normal.

Replay16.
I think I have the Stereo reply and that was 8 bit... no, I do have the Stereo Reply, but its whether it still works is the case LOL
I have an ST that is an unknown as to whether that works too , but I wil try and then try the Cartridge in that before it goes near the Falcon or the TT

TG55 etc.
Yeah there are a couple of nice built-in sounds... Something like 64 IIRC but there is nothing that I dont have a near erxact version of on other devices.

You didnt keep me up... Im doing silly stuff cos I cant sleep and I an trying to get back into Music for a few reasons...

There is a guy who has a boat on the Quay and the other day I went to see my mate and he invited me to the other guys boat, and he thought he kind of had me on a Gotcha moment as the guy had a Guiter, a huge syth keyaboard and a drumkit. and my mate, who clearly though I could not play a thing and was only mouthing off, said go on, lerts see what you can do, and so I said on what.. He said try the keyboards.

Now, my left hand is very much useless and my right isnt as nimble as it used to be, so I played a few simplyer things and apart from the mistakes that come with not playing for so long and having crappy arms,I did alright, and so I played on the drumkit for a bit and Im still trying to work out whats worse, me or the kit... This thing was roten as hell and as it turnes out the boat had a huge gash in it for a few months and this kit was underwater for all that time and its just falling to pieces.

But anyway, me and this guy, who I now know is named George had a really nice session actually... I really enjoyed it and its been a long while since I played with anyone else but myself ( steady on there )

Anywa, I have an Alesis ful lsized Electronic kit, but the sockets are a little corroded on a few of them so it needs to be properly cleaned up... I have tried isopropyl alcohol and I have tried to clean up the sockets, butwhile they are better, they are not right, I did also buy new Sockets for it so I can resolder the new ones in their place, but they are not 100% right and the pins are almost 2mm different.

I may just buy sone external ones and have wires coming out but soldered properly, but I wiol do something there and I als ohave a couple of desktop ones... Yamaha DD55 and DD65 so I will take one of them to the boat next time we have a Jam... Its been great fun and so that should get my Atari back into a job now too!

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”