Chaos Engine Viewer

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Chaos Engine Viewer

Post by MiggyMog »

I thought this game looked great in the ads that ran for months. As I remember the game was boasting about being STE enhanced. I was really looking forward to it making use of the STE sound/Music. When I eventually got it and booted it the title music made no use of the STE hardware which annoyed me & then even worse a horrible sounding chip music kicks in in the menu. Then we get to the game. Where are the STE enhancements? the scrolling was a little jerky to be making use of HS & the YM effects were certainly not making use of the DAC. Pah! STE Enhanced my arse. It also seemed to simillar to crackdown which came out before it.

The only thing which saves the ST game is the awesome artwork & map design.

Well on the map viewer kroah, great util.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

MiggyMog wrote:STE Enhanced my arse.
They probably used a few colours from the STe's palette, and that was the STe "enhancement" :D Another couple of bits of colour depth...

Have to admit it was quite a fun game though - very playable.
tá'n poc ar buile!
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

check this thread :

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ine#p76834

as was said, chaos engine uses hardware scrolling on STE, 32 colors, and needs 512kb. Same game on STFM needs 1mb of RAM.

Richard is dead since a while now, and can't share with us what he knew.....
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
Kroah
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Kroah »

dlfrsilver wrote:as was said, chaos engine uses hardware scrolling on STE, 32 colors, and needs 512kb. Same game on STFM needs 1mb of RAM.
I thought the game used 2 palettes of 16 colors (on both versions): one for the main view, the other for the bottom panel.

Are you sure the 16 additional colors are missing on the STF version?
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

STFM has less colors :( 16 tones ans 32 on STE. Easy for me to test, i have a 1040STF and a 1040STE.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Return to “Games - General”