NVDI configuration for Notator

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

NVDI configuration for Notator

Post by Fujiyama »

I'm testing Notator with NVDI 3.01 but it's been ages since I messed around with this stuff and can't quite remember how to configure it.

I did manage to get NVDI 2.51 to work with Notator, but only after disabling the fonts.
I did this by opening ASSIGN.SYS with ASSIGN.PRG and removing the 4 "system-resident" Monaco fonts in the "04p SCREEN.SYS" section, then pressing OK and rebooting.

With NVDI 3 on the other hand I understand there's even more font support (TrueType etc.), but where do I access the settings for it?
I did find a program called PRESET.PRG which allows me to set basic NVDI settings. This is how I've configured it:

[x] GEMDOS Cconws
[ ] TOS compatibility
[ ] Mouse acceleration
[x] Line-A
[ ] Error messages

According to the readme file that comes with Notator 3.21 it says:

General advices
- Attention TOS 2.06 users: CPX modules "WCOLORS" and "COLORS" must be disabled.

- Attention NVDI users: NVDI is a screen accelerator which is mainly
available in Germany but which may have been exported to other countries.

In NVDI's Configuration", "GEMDOS-Zeichenausgabe", "Dynamische Maus" and "Line A" should be enabled,
and all other functions disabled.

If using NVDI with the Mega STE or TOS 2.06, start NOTATOR via SOFTLINK only.

Is "GEMDOS-Zeichenausgabe" the same as "GEMDOS Cconws"? I assume "Dynamische Maus" is the same as "Mouse acceleration" though Notator worked fine with and without it when I used NVDI 2, so it seems it's only a user-enhancement and not something which is essential in order to make it work.

The last part about only using SoftLink is you're using a Mega STe or TOS 2.06 puzzles me.
SoftLink is a multi-tasking environment in case you were wondering, before MagiC, Geneva etc. was available, dividing memory into several (up to 9) "memory partitions" where you would run a separate program, Notator being one of them.
Why would I have to use SoftLink if I have a Mega STe or TOS 2.06 (I have both)?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
crx091081gb
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: NVDI configuration for Notator

Post by crx091081gb »

Long shot I know but I don't suppose you could post that copy of NVDI, I have 2.50 and can get Notator to load but then it freezes. I was wondering if 2.51 would help.
Atari stuff: 1mb STFM with faulty disk drive (retired pending funding for repairs), 4mb STE TOS 2.06 + Ultrasatan + PeST + original monochrome monitor, Midi Stuff: Cubase 3.1, 2.0 (both dongled) + Midex+ + Manual + Handbook, Notator 3.21 (dongled) + Log3 + Unitor2 + Manual, M, lots of stuff downloaded of Tim's Atari Midi World
Sonus
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: NVDI configuration for Notator

Post by Sonus »

Notator-NVDI.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Applications”