Recycled Games

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Recycled Games

Post by Champions_2002 »

I have an idea for a bit of fun, if you where the programmer on an Atari ST Game what features would you add to that game..

GAME 1..
GODS

GAME 2..
DUNGEON MASTER
A member of Atarimania ST & 7800 department
guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by guythp »

1. Gameplay

2. Naked women

Well, that's me out of ideas.
The Hairy Pies
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

ha ha, you're so right about GODS!

If I were to do anything with the GODS code, I'd add in-game music, and then try to make it fun to play.

Dungeon Master? Well, I'd improve the graphics, and probably add more action and music.

Too bad we can't do any of this stuff eh?
WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by WillieSea »

There is a Java version of Dungeon Master that plays amazingly like the ST version. I would think you could take that and do anything you wanted to with it. (Music, sounds, ect...) It has a little better graphics. But I am not a Java programmer, I will leave that to the kids. It also has a level editor, so you could even make your own dungeon.
Lyverbe
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Lyverbe »

I remember seeing a decompiled game and I believe it was Dungeon Master for PC. It was in C.

Since it was automatically decompiled, the variable and function names were generated, giving things like "int var29275" and "void func9235792()". It was almost impossible to understand any of it.

But, to answer the question, I'd love to add stuff to Dungeon Master. As for another game... hmm... I don't know. Stunt Car Racer, perhaps. Serious lack of textures in that game :)
The Ultimate Captive Guide: http://captive.atari.org
SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by SkylineDave »

in my honest opinion I'd leave the almighty Dungeon Master as it is. It's the simplicity of it that makes it so appealing and master of all RPGs, even fancy brand new ones.
Gods i'd make a bit easier, like not having your health disappear in a second when touched by a baddie :roll:
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!
Developer of DemoBaseST
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

Decent sound effects in Gods would be nice.

Never really played DM Back in the day.

Maybe this should be extended to other games and what features we would like to see added to them?

E.G. I always thought it would be cool to have improved GFX & a paralax floor in redo of IK+ :-)
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by guythp »

Right, I'm going to try to not sound bitter.

Shadow of the beast. An amiga showcase title... We all know (thanks to enchanted lands) that the ST could do it (the STe with some nice sound too, no doubt). I shouldn't imagine many amiga owners will say it was actually a good game, but it looked nice and blew you away when you first saw it.

So, in conclusion, I'd've made the ST version to be not quite so obviously poo as psygnosis did.. 'Nitro' from the same publisher is how to do a dual format game ~ Well.

I'll stop now before I start ranting. again. :)
The Hairy Pies
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

The port of Shadow of the Beast II was pretty good though. Parallax, music, 32 colours (apparently), it has the works and I wouldn't bother changing it.

Now here is a game that needs a change: Box Car. It needs a computer controlled opponent. As it is now, it's network only!
Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Champions_2002 »

please tell us what other games need improving...
A member of Atarimania ST & 7800 department
unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Post by unseenmenace »

Funnily enough I feel that Turrican could be improved but as some of you will know I'm working on that already :)

I always thought the sound in Xenon 2 was poo so an STE version of that would kick ass!

Lethal Xcess? I'm kidding, its bloody perfect :)

Can't think of any others off hand
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com
jazzmaverick
Atariator
Atariator

Post by jazzmaverick »

How about a Championship Manager 2006/07 season update? That would be cool... I'd lose my life to that game all over again.

or how about Elite II without bugs? :wink:
bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Recycled Games

Post by bod/STAX »

I've always thought that an STE version of R-Type would be cool. I personally think that it would definitly match the Amiga version (Complete with the really cool Chris Huelsbeck title-track).

(Jazzmaverick, I've P.M.'d you)
Willabong
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Willabong »

Personally I always liked GODS, and had no trouble completing it. For a platform game on any format it was good.
But if I could improve one game it would be XYBOTS. A great concept spoiled because there was absolutely no storyline or game play, just shoot everything in sight. :?
Death is natures way of telling you to slow down!

Return to “Games - General”