Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Moderator Team

smoore
Atariator
Atariator

TOS and Magic/Mint

Post by smoore »

Hi all

I'd like to have a play with either Magic or Mint, or probably both and wanted to quickly check that doing this won't cause any issues with my TOS setup that I have finally got to my liking.

I'm using a Falcon with the DFB1X booster from Exxos which gives my an extra 128MB of TT Ram to play with.

I'm guessing I can install Magic or Mint to a separate partition and then use XBoot at start up to choose which O/S I go to?

Or should I instead install to my C: partition, and still use XBoot - I've seen a video where this was done and there seemed to be certain folders that were shared between TOS and Magic - GEMSYS I think.

Any thoughts/tips/ideas welcome.

Many thanks,

Simon
smoore
Atariator
Atariator

Re: TOS and Magic/Mint

Post by smoore »

After doing a bit more reading it looks like I should be safe to install Mint on C and using a couple of empty partitions for the unix'ish filesystems - so I will give it a go!
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, atleast for mint, you should install kernel, drivers etc on C:. Then you can setup symlinks on U: for important directories like U:\etc, U:\usr etc. that point to some other partition (preferably an ext2 partition, or atleast one that supports long filenames like VFAT).

The bootable builds from https://tho-otto.de/snapshots/freemint/bootable/ should give you a good start. In your case you should pick the one for TT/Falcon. Just check that they don't overwrite anything that already exists in your setup, and does not belong to mint. Then take a look at C:\mint\1-19-xxx\mint.cnf (which is just a plain text file), and if needed adjust it to your needs. Initially, the system root will be c:\mint\1-19-xxx\sys-root, and all the support binaries like QED, teradesk etc are inside this directory.
smoore
Atariator
Atariator

Post by smoore »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to get my head around Mint and enjoying the journey!

I just spent an hour or so in Hatari messing around with the the easement guidelines, which were really useful and gave me w working system.

I've got a quiet evening planned so will pick up the 1-19 builds and install on the actual Falcon.

I have a couple of empty partitions that I can hopefully change to ext2 with HDDriver.

Thanks again,

Simon
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Note that hddriver/hdruitl can only mark the partitions as RAW (so that they are not accessed as FAT), it cannot create a filesystem on it. For that you need mk2efs, and since it is a command line tool, maybe also a shell and a terminal like tos2win. mke2fs can be found in http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68 ... e2fsprogs/
smoore
Atariator
Atariator

Post by smoore »

Ah thanks, so I'll change a couple of paritions to RAW, get Mint up and running - and then have a go at building the filesystems with mk2efs.

Main reason is to try and get networking up and running, I think I can use DCHP with Mint?
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, that should be possible. Although i would not recommend running a dhcp server on the atari, typically you use the one from your router. Or maybe even easier, assign a static ip in your router and use that.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

My two cents: if you are a beginner, the easiest route to se up the ext2 partition, DHCP, etc is to "blindly" install EasyMiNT: https://atari.grossmaggul.de/home.php?l ... e=easymint and then, when you get a bit familiar with everything, update the kernel and tools from the link Thorsten provided.

If it's too overwhelming for you, forget EasyMiNT, ext2, DHCP etc and just install the bootable snapshot. There's no need to have the unix stuff installed.
PeterS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by PeterS »

My Milan was delivered with Mint but it was a minimal install.

Later I used Joskas config to set up symlinks and from there I created an ext2 partition with a full Mint *nix style setup.

It gives options.
smoore
Atariator
Atariator

Post by smoore »

I followed the instructions provided by Probe House software and used the 1-19-0 release to get it installed on my Falcon - relly good instructions and up and running in about an hour.

STruggled with changing partitions to RAW or F32 in HDDriver but it was getting late so called it a day.

I shall repartition the SCSI image I use on the BlueSCSI later and see if I can set the partitions correctly and try the next steps this afternoon!

Many thanks,

Simon
smoore
Atariator
Atariator

Post by smoore »

Hi All

Thanks for the tip and advice.

I've had a frustrating day, and I should know better by now.

Tried out my original installation and then decided I wasn't sure I'd installed everyting correctly so tried EasyMint installation and VanillaMint which whilst they worked, I felt like I had cheated somewhat by taing somebody elses configuration.

So my plan is to try the the insall I did before using one of the bootabel builds from ThorstenOtto with the Probe House guidelines, and then try and install networking so I can install the Dynaport emulation stuff and see if I can get the DHCP client up and running.

So yep, will start from scratch again tonight, but it should mean that i know what I am installing/configuring and where.

WIsh me luck!

Simon
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Its perfectly fine to "cheat" and take somebody else configuration, if it works for you and saves you time ;)

But if you've got the time and patience, it's also perfectly fine to figure it out yourself, and get a better understanding how it works.

Mixing different installations like EasyMint and VanillaMint may work, but it can also lead to some trouble if they expect files in different places.

And btw, the freemint builds are not only done by me, they just happen to be stored on my server currently. There are/were lots of other people involved in the development.
smoore
Atariator
Atariator

Post by smoore »

Thanks for the reply, I shall see how far I get tonight.

I' spent some time with Linux a few years ago and enjoyinf this venture.

Cheers,

Simon
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Glad that the guide helped you out.
It's find to cheat and takes someone's else stuff to build a better mouse trap.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list

Return to “Professionals”