Setting up my monSTer on my MegaSTE

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Setting up my monSTer on my MegaSTE

Post by mikro »

Bikerbob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:40 amIs there a chance you could provide me with a EMUTOS(US) that you think would work.. with the IDE enabled, like you are using- for me to test.
Sorry, I have forgotten about this. Attaching latest 192K US/UK snapshot which boots on the MegaSTE along with map files (if something bad happens) and localconf.h (just copy this into EmuTOS root when building source files). Much cleaner than editing config.h directly.

Beware, despite compiling with gcc 4.6.4 (saves about 900 bytes) and taking Roger's latest changes (saving a few bytes), FDC code still has to be disabled. Apart from that, nearly everything's in as it would be in a regular 192K build but with MonSTer / MegaSTE support enabled!
Maybe a 1.04 patched you used?
Since it works only after booting into TOS 2.0x or EmuTOS, its usability is questionable. You can prepare one yourself if you want, applying that ideboot patch is really just a drag&drop operation, see czietz's instructions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikerbob
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Bikerbob »

Thanks again mikro. I am continuing here.

Maybe a better question...

If I am wanting to use my MegaSTE as a gaming machine - some games need TOS 1.4 - Is this do-able with SELTOS or some other software patch etc?

For example I know tos 2.06 uses more low mem, and some games I want to try or run run into that block.

Ppera has done updated TOS roms, anyone played with those on the megaSTE?

James
TT030 - Light/Storm/Thun 256mb TT ram 10mb ST ram card(Lynxman) Nova(frank lukus) Mach32 2mb. 250gb SSD
MegaSTE - monSTer (alanH) RGB2HDMI(pixelk) 68kHC cpu - IDE CF 8gb internal.
MegaST - ICD ADspeed & Compatibility Plus
Phoenix ST - Exxos remake board - Lightning Storm Cloudy.
1088XEL, 800 incognito, 800xl U1mb.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

If you are happy with booting into TOS 2.06, switching the switch and booting into TOS 1.04 then sure, this can be a way. Otherwise you'd need to patch TOS 1.04 to run on MegaSTE, which is definitely not a trivial thing to do.

I don't like some things on Ppera's TOS ROMs and since he is selling them in the way they are, I didn't bother purchasing.
DarkLord
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by DarkLord »

James, just curious - do you have a list of the games that absolutely have to have
TOS v1.4 to run?

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Bikerbob
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Bikerbob »

DarkLord wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:52 pm James, just curious - do you have a list of the games that absolutely have to have
TOS v1.4 to run?

Thanks.
No I don't, all I know is that a number of games written for 1mb use memory in the lower space up to an amount exceeding what TOS 1.06 and 2.06 leave. The STE line used extra ram in the lower area, and if the game was written specifically to use that area, it will error out.

I have Ppera archive that I use for the Mister and my real hardware and I know at least 1 in 6-7 games I have tried crap out with the not enough low mem error. I think that originally was to say you only have 512k - but in this case means it cannot access the full 1mb - its not looking for more.. so the fact that 3mb more beyond is in the machine means nothing to the game.

James
TT030 - Light/Storm/Thun 256mb TT ram 10mb ST ram card(Lynxman) Nova(frank lukus) Mach32 2mb. 250gb SSD
DarkLord
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by DarkLord »

Okay, thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Bikerbob
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Bikerbob »

Ok, I was able to get 1.04i running on the machine doing it the way it was suggested in the MonSTer thread. I booted 2.06 and then did a soft reset after flipping my SELTOS switch (which crashed the system) But it booted.

James

SO.. I think the way I will do it, is flash other TOS when needed - I will use iTOS from Ppera for several of the situations I need.. MagiC is 256k .. so thats good. I am very happy with what I have now.

I just put in my A/B floppy switch to the W401 W402 jumpers..

I am building my Tori remake of the SCSI controller - SO I will have one of those in there as well.. maybe even with a bluescsi V2.. for what reason?? who needs more storage when I can only use 14 drives.. no idea.

James
Bikerbob
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Bikerbob »

Well I did my floppy switch.. but what I thought was a no brainer does not seem to work.. in either position it reads from internal first.. Anyone done this on a MEGA STE?

ALso got the tOri scsi controller to work with a SEAGATE ST157N .. but not with anything else - aka BLUESCSI v2 yet.. again.. so far baffled.. everything should work.. I have gone through the instructions a dozens times.

James
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

The W401/W402 trick only works on STE, not Mega STE. On the MSTE both DS0 and DS1 is connected directly to the internal floppy port, and via W401/W402 to the external port. So on the MSTE these jumpers can be used to set the external floppy port to drive A, but *only* when there's no internal drive.

On the MSTE it's easiest to do the switch before these jumpers, i.e. cut the DS0/DS1 traces from the soundchip to W401/W402 and route these via a DPDT-switch instead.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Return to “Hardware”