News on my GEM games

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Moderator Team

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: News on my GEM games

Post by Rajah Lone »

Eero Tamminen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:00 pm "BMPBRTHR.DGI" file name is too long for 8+3 TOS file system (file read from "C:\XENON2.DAT\IMAGES\COMMON\LOGO\") .
"BMPBRTHR.DGI" is 8+3 compliant DOS name. I had the logo missing one time, testing after your post, but I can't reproduce it now (unzipping in macOS, then copying from Hatari gemdos partition = host folder to hd, to directly from Hatari gemdos partition ). Can you tell me how you copied the files?
Eero Tamminen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:00 pmThere's a bug when score file is not found:

Code: Select all

GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("C:\XENON2.DAT\SYS\XENON2.SCO", read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
-> ERROR -33 (errno = 2)
GEMDOS 0x3D bad Fopen(0xF2E0C, read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
GEMDOS 0x3D bad Fopen(0xF2DF8, read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
GEMDOS 0x3D bad Fopen(0xF2DE4, read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
GEMDOS 0x3D bad Fopen(0xF2DD0, read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("C:\XENON2.DAT\CACHE\XIMAGES.000", read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
-> FD 64 (read-only -> read+write)
To test if a file is present or not, I try to Fopen it instead exploring the Fsfirst/Fsnext (or enhanced dirlist under MagiC or MiNT). So Fopen is OK, then it's Fclosed. I wonder more about the 4 bad Fopen after. Normaly, the images from CACHE are loaded BEFORE the local score file, so it's hard to traduce you report (but thanks anyway). EDIT: may be saved after... searching...

I'm working on your report, but it seems pointless for small rez and old TOS, since, though permited, it's not intended to run without NVDI, ST low rez, in a stock Atari machine. But intended to be launched on a evolutated and "modern" setup. So I wonder if the alert "use 640x400 minimum" should be "continue" or "quit".

I encountered this peculiar behavior with a youtube video running my DGEM on ST low, several times, without really exploring or game with characters. I don't know how to think about this.
Last edited by Rajah Lone on Thu May 23, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

Yes I think some people don't quite understand that GEM means re-implementing games inside GEM windows and therefore requiring higher resolutions. I remember when I first tried 'Elite - TNK' which would not run unless it meeting a minimum resolution target, this taught me what I needed to know. Like you say, if someone wants to run inside TOS in low res, they simply need the original game.
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

Rajah Lone wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:04 pm To test if a file is present or not, I try to Fopen it instead exploring the Fsfirst/Fsnext (or enhanced dirlist under MagiC or MiNT). So Fopen is OK, then it's Fclosed. I wonder more about the 4 bad Fopen after. Normaly, the images from CACHE are loaded BEFORE the local score file, so it's hard to traduce you report (but thanks anyway).
In GBE exist() internally calls fattrib() instead. This has the advantage of not having to close the file. Do know if that will help.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Rajah Lone wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:04 pm I'm working on your report, but it seems pointless for small rez and old TOS, since, though permited, it's not intended to run without NVDI, ST low rez, in a stock Atari machine. But intended to be launched on a evolutated and "modern" setup. So I wonder if the alert "use 640x400 minimum" should be "continue" or "quit".
When it does not work correctly in smaller resolution, I think it should be "quit".
Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Rajah Lone »

Eero Tamminen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:00 pmWith 320x200@16 resolution, program crashed when starting a new game. This happened only under TOS4, not with EmuTOS (v1.3)
Bug due to old crappy TOS 4.04 but not in EmuTOS 1.3: when vro_cpyfm() is too large and exceeds to right border, then a crash is very probable. Whatever the screenmode. I think NVDI corrects this. I have put some code in the dev version to fix this (shorten width and height from wind_get(WF_FIRSTXYWH, WF_NEXTXYWH) values).

You did not answer to my question, about how the logo BMPBRTHR.DGI became long filename (probably renamed with "~1", so not found).

Searching for the Fopen problem after loading score, before loading/saving cache. Is your log upside-down (last event on top) or sequential as human lecture?

Thanks.

@Lonny: I should re-use EXIST(), since it's safe now with your GBE. Sorry, I am old and a bit reluctant to change code that worked for ages.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Rajah Lone wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:42 pm You did not answer to my question, about how the logo BMPBRTHR.DGI became long filename (probably renamed with "~1", so not found).
Sorry, I should have included trace of that too:

GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("C:\XENON2.DAT\IMAGES\COMMON\LOGO.DGX", read-only) at PC=0x6E2FE
-> ERROR -33 (errno = 2)
GEMDOS 0x3D Fopen("C:\XENON2.DAT\IMAGES\COMMON\LOGO\BMPBRTHR.DGI.", read-only) at PC=0x2E86E
WARN : have to clip 1 chars from 'BMPBRTHR.DGI.' extension!
-> FD 64 (read-only -> read-only)
As you can see, there's an extra dot at the end of the file name, so it's 8+4 chars.

Both TOS and Hatari GEMDOS HD will clip extra chars out so with those this is harmless wart. However, on FS supporting long file names, program would not find the file.

Rajah Lone wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:42 pm Searching for the Fopen problem after loading score, before loading/saving cache. Is your log upside-down (last event on top) or sequential as human lecture?
It's a trace. Output is in the order it happens (last ones are last).
Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Rajah Lone »

Thanks.

Found the bug about the BMPBRTHR.DGI: ending nullbyte is missing (C string format), so it could be 8+"."+3+whatever (from correct number of chars to anything).

Still searching for the XENON2.SCO : normal not to be found, the error is excepted. I will replace my old GFA s_exist() by new fixed EXIST(). More concerned by the fact XENON2.SCO is tested/opened BEFORE images cache in your trace. That's impossible except if you have reset manualy the cache in the preferences.
And why between this:

Don't understand why hex code (0x14 by 0x14) is shown instead of pathname.

Sorry, I tried to use debug mode of Hatari, but I'm like a chicken looking at a knife. From Terminal with open "path/Hatari.app" --args -D parameter does not activate the thing. It's disabled in the preferences. Nothing is the macOS console.
Reading the html documentation on the github repo. hatari.tuxfamily.org is down.
Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Rajah Lone »

Patch series of most of my game & toys. Details are in top comments of each program. Fixes are related to Eero Tamminen's report and things discovered during this code-crawling session.

Not documented, but to test fighters sprites and moves, you can use F1 to F6 in Barbarian+ (still W.I.P.). Will resume its dev this summer, but I would like to extend P2SM drawing features.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Rajah Lone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:27 pm And why between this:

Don't understand why hex code (0x14 by 0x14) is shown instead of pathname.
Hatari GEMDOS HD shows that error if given pointer to file name is longer than 64KB, or some part of it is not within emulated RAM/ROM address space.

As 0xF2DD0 - 0xF2DD0 addresses are within 1MB, I assume the issue was file names not being 0-terminated.

I was not able to reproduce the issue, which makes me think that it could have been related running the game in too small resolution, and that causing e.g. game to overwrite some parts of its own memory (like file names) when it tried to write the score later on.
Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Rajah Lone »

VDI Effects 1.3: blog or directly
- mod: GFA source code revamped, using latest GBE instructions for clearer/smarter and slightly quicker VDI calls. LST format is provided for human readability. If you use old official GFA Basic, then use the previous archives.
- fix: graphics and opcodes for raster blitting are modified to use vdi index 0 for transparent and index 1 for mask. Graphics have been produced with P2SM and its tools MAKE_DGX/DGI.
- fix: missing DIM for boolean values in the INF file.
- fix: ALLGLORY: wrong test of _SND (wrong bit 1, right bit 5) for XBIOS Falcon sound.
- add: SOTB: added trees, masonry, airships and Aarbron mauve guy.
- mod: SOTB: the screen bounces left<>right direction, from the forest to the castle.

https://youtu.be/cS1Woun7MGc

Thanks Lonny Pursell for his advises

Notes: the LST+GIF sources archive contains all graphics of SOTB level 1, in case you would like to extend yourself the screen and play with GFA code.

Currently working on P2SM, the tool that allowed this easy work on sprites&masks. Would like to add a true Control+Z/Undo function, so release 1.0 may take some days to appear.
Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Rajah Lone »

LCD Games 1.0: blog or directly
are GEM ports of the Nintendo's Game&Watch from the eighties. Since 320x200px and 16 colors screenmodes. Use Falcon XBIOS DMA sound API (mute if not present). You play it with the keyboard (look at the readme.txt file).
Currently available: Fire (I owned it and regret losing it), Parachute, Chef.

lcdgames_snap003.png
lcdgames_snap002.png
lcdgames_snap001.png

Other games may come later: Manhole, Octopus, FireAttack and possibly DonkeyKong Jr (found convenient graphics for Atari port).
But first, I have a dev session to fix/upgrade P2SM and Litchi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

Wow! :cheers:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

The Octopus, please! ;-)

Fun fact you are maybe not aware of: for us, kids behind the iron curtain, Nintendo was an unknown name. On the other hand, what was incredibly popular was the "Elektronika" brand, a series of electronic devices built by factories belonging to the Soviet Ministry of Electronic Industry (!) and among them there were the bootleg copies of some of the Game&Watch games, like...
640px-Tainiokeana.jpg
Some of them were 1:1 copies (with English in-game labels) but as you can see on the screenshot above, the Octopus was, erm, fully localised. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Hm. My wife had (working) Nintendo Donkey Kong, but she sold it last year or year before...

Return to “Games”