What are these menus from an ST Format article?

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

MagikGimp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

What are these menus from an ST Format article?

Post by MagikGimp »

While watching BillBull play Ultima III Exodus on the NES it reminded me of this page from ST Format issue 58:
It's from an article decrying piracy and its impacts. Of course it only succeeds in promoting the appeals of how much fun menu disks were! Anyway, it features pixel art by "The Lord of SLCS(?)", the graphic being inspired by the Ultima box cover. The question is what menu and from what group is this? Same goes for the Robocop one too but I've wanted to track the former ever since I saw it back in '94 and I've never encountered either. The rest of the article has more cools shots but they're from more well known disks (which would really put off the average teen I'm sure.) By the way, the shots were that blurry in the original print; that scan is actually pretty good. So anybody know? :shrug:
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!
MagikGimp

Re: What are these menus from an ST Format article?

Post by MagikGimp »

OK, so I can't link images. See this attachment instead:
stf58_024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!
Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Greenious »

Oh, there are a ton of menu disks for the ST, and you can find many of them (with screenshots) at Atari Legend.

But finding these actual menus will keep you occupied for a while...
Check out the hardware preservation project: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43023
And my old guide thread with various information: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5040
Zippy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zippy »

The Robocop one is Medway Boys Menu 25. The other is possibly by STCS but I'm not sure of the game.
offog
Atarian
Atarian

Post by offog »

It's Tetris (the disk image is in TOSEC):
grab0002.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

:lol: That was so quick! I clearly should have done this (very much) earlier! Thank you so much, chaps. I should have recognised a MBs menu, Zippy but I've never heard of STCS before. Greenious, I certainly did take a look there first but I can't see theirs there unless the initials stand for something I'm not realising. I will have to look through my TOSEC torrent, offog if I can find it around here somewhere...
:cheers: Many thanks again, lads!
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

Ah, ST Computer Service. I had considered Demozoo as a good resource to go sleuthing but without knowing what game was on the disk a search for just "The Lord" would have been a long shot. That said "lord blade runners" does get a hit. It's this one: https://demozoo.org/productions/75800/

Edit: Also be sure to also check out the YouTube comments for the capture for a message from his lordship himself! (Frédéric Mutter aka Tsunoo)

Return to “Menu Disks”