firebee available?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

cweb
Atarian
Atarian

Re: firebee available?

Post by cweb »

I was wondering if it's possible to run the firebee's software (FireTOS) in a VM like Virtualbox? Given that it seems difficult to get hold of one from what I can see, I was thinking of experimenting that way.
mfro
Atari God
Atari God

Post by mfro »

cweb wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 am I was wondering if it's possible to run the firebee's software (FireTOS) in a VM like Virtualbox? Given that it seems difficult to get hold of one from what I can see, I was thinking of experimenting that way.
In theory, provided you manage to find a suitable ColdFire emulation (a CF5208 was the closest I could find and that's pretty different from a v4e and completely lacks the on-chip peripherials the v4e has), yes.

You'd still be missing all the FPGA custom logic, so no video and no Falcon hardware.
Long story short: while feasible in theory, completely unrealistic in practice.
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I'm not aware that VirtualBox is able to emulate an m68k and/or v4e. And although emulating the coldfire instruction set will not be that hard, emulating the hardware is something completely different.

It also does not make much sense, unless you have Software that is *only* designed for Firebee. For all others just use Hatari/Aranym and emulate the m68k version. That won't be much different from what you suggest.
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

Yeah, it'd likely have to be something like Qemu, rather than VirtualBox.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Return to “FireBee”