CT60e is coming :)

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: CT60e is coming :)

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

stormy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:47 am
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:24 pm Oh I already have the new heatsink/fan combo. I was just asking for suggestions to get the old passive heatsink off of the 68060.
They're fairly solid and strong so I doubt you'd break it. To get off heatsinks that are glued I usually spray the heatsink with freeze spray, then put a credit card under one corner between the heatsink and chip, use a flat blade screw driver to twist. It should 'pop' right off.
Thanks, that worked well although I didn't use the freeze spray, just a small flat screwdriver and put some torque on the heatsink on a couple of edges and it popped off.

Now, what to do about the "glue"? It doesn't look like any thermal paste I've used before. It's shiny and hardened like dried glue. What is the best way to remove this stuff?

68060_c.png
68060_b.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

I'd be tempted to use IPA alcohol and let it seep under the glue. That sometimes is enough to pick it off. But it can take a while and a few rounds of adding alcohol as it evaporates quickly.

If that doesn't work, stronger solvents like acetone would be next. And then WD40 (with care, and that needs careful cleaning afterwards).

Don't power anything up if the board has non-evaporated IPA left on it. A polar molecule and conductive.
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

Yes as dml says. Worst case you might need to get some 'wet and dry' fine sand paper and slowly take it off in a circular motion. But first try what dml says, let it soak in IPA for a bit, then get a sharp flat blade and scrape it off.
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Ok, yeah, thanks for the tips guys.

It tooks about 6 times, it was stubborn stuff. I would soak it a bit in IPA and the used a flat exacto knife to gently scape a layer off. Rinse and repeat until it was all off. Then some alcohol and lint-free cloth to get any residue that was left.

Now to put on the new heatsink and noctura fan.
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Installed the new heatsink/fan combo on the cpu. Put a little artic silver 5 on the 68060 beforehand. Perfect fit.

68060_d.png

I have a question though. The back of the CT60e really has no support from the ram slot to the psu connector. It looks like there is enough room under it to put the original metal psu bracket back (of course it would have to be insulated) and have that as some support.

Has any tried that or know if the bracket will actually fit under the CT60e?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

It doesn't, but there are other solutions.

viewtopic.php?t=37379
viewtopic.php?t=31398&start=25#p316663
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Nice, thanks for the links.
Reylan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Reylan »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:06 pm Installed the new heatsink/fan combo on the cpu. Put a little artic silver 5 on the 68060 beforehand. Perfect fit.

68060_d.png

I have a question though. The back of the CT60e really has no support from the ram slot to the psu connector. It looks like there is enough room under it to put the original metal psu bracket back (of course it would have to be insulated) and have that as some support.

Hi,
Do you have a link for the heatsink and mount you used ?
Thanks
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Reylan wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:39 am
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:06 pm Installed the new heatsink/fan combo on the cpu. Put a little artic silver 5 on the 68060 beforehand. Perfect fit.

68060_d.png

Hi,
Do you have a link for the heatsink and mount you used ?
Thanks

Yes, see the quote below from earlier in the thread. The heatsink is the one @dhedberg recommended. Digi-key was out of the blue, but looks like they have some in stock now. Of course you can also get it in yellow as I did. The fan is the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX. The stock fan from the heatsink/mount comes off and the Noctua goes in. The Noctua is taller so you will need new screws to attach it to the heatsink. I found #4 3/4" sheet metal screws work great.

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:19 pm
dhedberg wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:53 pm
calimero wrote:Does somebody have recommendation for cooler with fan for 68060?
If you're prepared to pay for it here's what I consider an optimal solution:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... 45-1601-ND

It's a heat sink with a fan that fits the 68060 perfectly and snaps on to it underneath. It allows you to use regular thermal paste and it can easily be removed and put back any number of times. The construction has springs which will push the heat sink down. Replace the fan with a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX and you get a close to silent fan with improved air flow. The Noctua can be mounted in the same holes as the removed fan, although you'll need to replace the screws with a set of longer ones as the Noctua fan is a bit taller. Best of all? It all fits within the original case with a fair margin!
Digi-key (and most places) are out of the HSF-48-19-B-F but the -B- stands for blue. There is also a yellow -Y- version with the same specs still in stock at digi-key if anyone is looking at this solution for their CT60s (I just bought a couple for mine). https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... -F/9093756

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”