Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

vicomte
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

firebee available?

Post by vicomte »

(Google translation)

Hi all
go! I start, I wrote an email to order a firebee.
I don't know if I would have an answer and above all, I don't think they will make a firebee just for me :-)
but hey I would see.
or maybe of you will also be interested in a firebee ;-)
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: firebee available?

Post by vido »

New FireBee is not available to be bought.
If there will be a new production run of it I believe it will be published on the FireBee web page.
But you can find all you need on the page to produce the FireBee yourself if you have knowledge and time to do ...
vicomte
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by vicomte »

I wrote 2 emails but no response
Bengy
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Bengy »

How much would be needed for another production run, approximately?

I wouldn't mind becoming a US distributor (and finding a way to fund production) if it meant helping move the FireBee/community forward.
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by vido »

Bengy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:48 pm How much would be needed for another production run, approximately?

I wouldn't mind becoming a US distributor (and finding a way to fund production) if it meant helping move the FireBee/community forward.
I dont know how much is needed as this depends how much is somebody ready to fund of the production. The person who fund and organize has his own limits to start the production. There is no company or organization to produce the FireBee. Project is nonprofitable and public. All needed to produce the FireBee is freely published (available) to any one. First two runs were funded by Fredi Aschwanden (or his company Medusa Computer Systems). Everything else (regarding logistic) was organized by Mathias. He also (not just he) has list of the preordering people if there will be another production run. If you are willing to fund, help or organize with another production run you can contact them.

As I said ... everything is available free so any one can produce the FireBee. I am sure it is possible to produce FireBee cheaper as it was first two run, but that I believe depends of the quality and the garantie producer gives you for the product. The past runs were very good quality with great garantie. Production in China it would be for sure much cheaper as it was in Switzerland.
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

Bengy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:48 pm How much would be needed for another production run, approximately?

I'd buy one if they were made available, especially if they were available in the US.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
Jinroh
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Jinroh »

I also, and my friend, would love the Firebee. We missed the first batch.

Since this is a proven design, I think that a Kickstarter would be able to be done pretty easy. They would get the funds, and the number of interested people. Medusa could produce them, and then deliver direct to the customer without having to rush.

Additionally to this, they would get a lot more publicity for the project. This could attract new developers.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Jinroh wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:56 pm Since this is a proven design
Well, proven... it has been proven that there are several bugs / design mistakes which hasn't been corrected yet (not saying that they are impossible to correct, there's just missing manpower / motivation to do so).
sigmate
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by sigmate »

I’d be interested in knowing which bugs/design flaws these are, by the way. Thanks!
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

For one, to this day you can't set proper Videl resolutions. Some work, some work to some extent and some doesn't at all.
mfro
Atari God
Atari God

Post by mfro »

mikro wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:17 am For one, to this day you can't set proper Videl resolutions. Some work, some work to some extent and some doesn't at all.
Not a hardware limitation, but one oft the many FireTOS oddities. Using EmuTOS, you *can* set all Videl resolutions (and using fVDI, supported extended resolutions as well).
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

mfro wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:40 am Not a hardware limitation, but one oft the many FireTOS oddities. Using EmuTOS, you *can* set all Videl resolutions (and using fVDI, supported extended resolutions as well).
Yes, with EmuTOS you an set any VIDEL resolution, but some of them look buggy due to FPGA issues :x
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Display a monochrome picture in assembly language on Atari ST.
mfro
Atari God
Atari God

Post by mfro »

BlankVector wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:10 pm ..., but some of them look buggy due to FPGA issues :x
Not for me, anymore.
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

mfro wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:16 pm Not for me, anymore.
Is there any official FPGA update to fix that?
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Display a monochrome picture in assembly language on Atari ST.
mfro
Atari God
Atari God

Post by mfro »

BlankVector wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:51 pm
mfro wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:16 pm Not for me, anymore.
Is there any official FPGA update to fix that?
Don't know for sure (as I run a self-generated dev version anyway), but my understanding is that the last available official version should fix all known resolution issues.
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by vido »

That means if there would be someone from EmuTOS developers with knowledge and time to add 68k emulation layer we would have full replacement for the FireTOS. I think we would also need new or port of ethernet and USB drivers?
I believe in that case FireBee would become also more interesting for the other Atari users as there would be possibility to fix now "unfixable" FireTOS bugs, ...
PeterS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by PeterS »

I don't have a Firebee but what I find confusing is the number of modes it can be run in to enable compatibility.

Maybe it would make more sense if I owned one but it is a bit off-putting.
Jinroh
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Jinroh »

Thank you for all the info. :) Potentially bugs or no, the Firebee is still very nice. :D
Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Dark Willow »

It'd be nice to see the Firebee get another production run. If someone could get the logistics up and running for a Chinese production run and use a 3D printed case, you could probably shave enough off the unit price to generate more orders. It'd be more work up front, but there is potential to bring down the cost more with design simplification too. The original FB was awesome, but as time has moved on, but some of the original i/o options included are pretty much redundant now (i.e. floppy and SCSI, as poss IDE as well, as there's already both CF and SD support), even leaving in the lithography but just deleting the headers could reduce costs while minimising design changes (and leave the path open for anyone wanting to DIY them in at a later date if they want them).
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More
DarkLord
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by DarkLord »

Wow - totally off topic but Dark Willow I hadn't
seen you around these parts in like, forever...

Good to see you're still with us! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

LOL :lol: :lol: .... Dark Lord I saw you as last post in the Firebee available thread.
I tot u regretting selling your FB...

sorry for OT :angel:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
DarkLord
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by DarkLord »

wongck wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:50 am LOL :lol: :lol: .... Dark Lord I saw you as last post in the Firebee available thread.
I tot u regretting selling your FB...

sorry for OT :angel:
Nah, it's a good machine but it just wasn't for me, in the state of development it was,
at that time.

Who knows? If they ever gather more support/development and do another run, I just
might be interested. :)

I hope yours is still serving you well.
Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Dark Willow »

Heya!
Good to see ya, DL :) Yeah, life happens.... moved abroad, had a awesome time in Oz for a bit! Came home, settled down and found my old STe in my mum's garage still!
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

DarkLord
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by DarkLord »

Dark Willow wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:21 pm Heya!
Good to see ya, DL :) Yeah, life happens.... moved abroad, had a awesome time in Oz for a bit! Came home, settled down and found my old STe in my mum's garage still!
Awesomeness! Glad to have you back onboard. :cheers:
Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Dark Willow »

Awe, thanks! Nice to be remembered! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “FireBee”