Control panel bug TOS 4?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Control panel bug TOS 4?

Post by Rustynutt »

Had to dig through a lot of hardware setting issues on the Afterburner to nail down this question.

One that kept coming up were problems with CPX's crashing. This occurs with both XCONTROL and COPS, either running from fast ram, ST RAM, CPU caches in or off, 46/23MHz. Disk software test, DMA are stable.

In some cases, such as file info cpx where there is a menu to open a folder, touch a file, ect. without Seletric running, accessing those menus crashes the CPX. With Selectric, it occurs much less often, but does occur.

Don't remember this problem with the CT60 (and am using that patched XCONTROL), but have not ran the CT60 with an accelerated BUS.

Is this a known bug, or do I still have some kind of weird timing issue using the Control Panel?

Other ACC's such as ImageCopy and Players are not affected.

Occasionally do get an error message when changing resolution "unable to allocate aes blit buffer".
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Control panel bug TOS 4?

Post by wongck »

Just throwing it out here.... how about zControl ?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Maybe that's a problem with fileinfo.cpx and not the control panels? Does that happen also with other CPX that use the file selector?
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Yes, The Removers "Falcon Configuration Tool", and others. Only loading minimum.

At first thought the issue was with PEXEC locks cache. OL sent some tools to test using Kronos and this seems to work well.

Gembench much be launched without D and I caches enabled, then can be enabled via CPX after its running. Noticed though after exiting, things can get hosed up.

Disabling the caches in any case, the CPX problem remains.

There are some settings for the "TOS Superstack", copyback, write through, fast or ST RAM. Those settings do not make a difference.

Will test with ZControl. It's not one of my favorites :)
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Neither XCONTROL nor COPS use Pexec to load the CPX (that's not possible after all, since they contain an extra header). There are custom functions to load & relocate them, which means that at least an unpatched XCONTROL will have problems with the cache since it does not know about 040/060. Recent versions of COPS should work, though. I doubt that zControl knows about 040 either, and AFAIK it is known to be a bit buggy so may not be the best candidate to solve your problems.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Interesting. Using ZCONTROL, and accessing a file via the folder menu of fileinfo, an error is returned "Error at read/write of files!"
The Root drive is an IDE.

Selecting a file to edit its program flag in the file selection bar above date and time works ok.

Falcon Tools uses a similar menu to access CPU speed, set up audio matrix and other features. When it first began locking up, had attributed it to problems with the clock switching via the Falcon control register you helped me with editing.

Eliminating either of the CPX loading ACC, and switching the CACHE using individual programs, there is no stability issue
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

What is "failed to alloc blit buffer memory"?
NVDI is running. Is TOS still trying to utilize the Blitter?
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Normally, yes. In TOS4 you cannot disable the blitter via Blitmode(). But i don't know what the afterburner patches do about this. NVDI does not use the blitter on 030+ IIRC.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Forget the file read write error. That was me being dumb. It was asking to create a folder, and I was selecting a file :)
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 am Normally, yes. In TOS4 you cannot disable the blitter via Blitmode(). But i don't know what the afterburner patches do about this. NVDI does not use the blitter on 030+ IIRC.
The AB drivers don't do anything with the blitter. There is an included patch halfblit.prg, that can be ran from the autofolder.

That was the work around I was after editing TOS to keep the blitter at half speed so the Falcon can boot with a higher speed oscillator, and not require switching as with Nemesis or Phantom type accelerators.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Doug wrote a patching program that searches for memcpy/memclr functions and replaces them with "better AB040-friendly equivalents", he writes.

Back in 1997, just followed his lead. He mentions patchable programs tend to be compiled with Turbo C and Pure C. It will also patch those libraries of those compilers.

Remember patching XCONTROL years ago, and before using the patch program for the CT60. Just now ran Doug's patch program through an XCONTROL patched by the CT tool, and it showed it had made a patch.

So looks like something in Deiters XCONTROL patch program is reverting Doug's patch.

That's all sounding too complicated.
Will just go back through the process to validate :)
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Rustynutt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:42 am Interesting. Using ZCONTROL, and accessing a file via the folder menu of fileinfo, an error is returned "Error at read/write of files!"
ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:39 am I doubt that zControl knows about 040 either, and AFAIK it is known to be a bit buggy so may not be the best candidate to solve your problems.
Well... was just throwing it out here... :shrug: if you don't try how would you know, right?
zControl seems to work fine for me and I used it rather than COPS & Xcontrol.... may be it is my mix of Auto programs and loaded CPX ( i don't have a lot).

Too bad zControl did not do the trick for you.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Rustynutt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:42 am Interesting. Using ZCONTROL, and accessing a file via the folder menu of fileinfo, an error is returned "Error at read/write of files!"
ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:39 am I doubt that zControl knows about 040 either, and AFAIK it is known to be a bit buggy so may not be the best candidate to solve your problems.
Well... was just throwing it out here... :shrug: if you don't try how would you know, right?
zControl seems to work fine for me and I used it rather than COPS & Xcontrol.... may be it is my mix of Auto programs and loaded CPX ( i don't have a lot).

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

gstoll
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by gstoll »

Rustynutt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:37 am So looks like something in Deiters XCONTROL patch program is reverting Doug's patch.
I'm not sure what patch you mean from Didier, because the patch for XCONTROL, in the CT60 archiv, is from Roger Burrows. After the patch XCONTROL use a XBIOS function which is not present on an AB. So it can not work.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

gstoll wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:05 pm
Rustynutt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:37 am So looks like something in Deiters XCONTROL patch program is reverting Doug's patch.
I'm not sure what patch you mean from Didier, because the patch for XCONTROL, in the CT60 archiv, is from Roger Burrows. After the patch XCONTROL use a XBIOS function which is not present on an AB. So it can not work.
Thanks, my mistake .

The last post didn't make it. Doug mentions it has something to do with memcopy/memclear. His patch modifies this, although doesn't say what it is changed to other than 040 friendly code.
Just had noticed when going through using his patch, that afterwards (then) Rogers patch had modified XCONTROL to where Doug's patch showed it being changed yet again. I used XCONTROL modified by Roger on all machines.

Because the hardware is very sensitive, it's been a bugger to track down what is occurring.
Pretty sure it's a CPX I use to change the Falcon BUS clock, with it active can cause issues with how the state is set on boot, the tool kits additional function to modify the system, then the CPX attempting to do the same.

Removed it from becoming active and 3 hours the system seems stable again.

The fault of the acc's not functioning I've inexplicably tied to Gembench. On each ocassion after running a test, upon exit the system begins to show many issues.

So two pieces of software narrowed down. Now more hours of testing (and wee bit soldering)

Thanks, and thanks to Wonk.
Suggesting to is ZCONTROL allowed an error to occur that actually pointed to why the control panel was in error by outputting a message "file not found".

Looks like memory corruption.

Return to “Professionals”