External bus when using a CT60

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

DarwinX
Atarian
Atarian

External bus when using a CT60

Post by DarwinX »

Quick question,

Assuming I were to pick up an accelerator for my C-LAB Falcon, will this essentially sidestep the whole 16-bit wide external data bus that is a problem with the built-in stock 68030 on the Falcon? I've never really understood entirely how the processor direct connection works in this case. Can anyone shed some light here?
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Re: External bus when using a CT60

Post by dhedberg »

The 68060 will access the faster TT-RAM on the accelerator board using a full 32bit bus. Any access to ST-RAM on the Falcon board will still be via the 16bit bus. Only the 68060 can access the TT-RAM.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Nicely shown here (thick black lines = data bus):
CT60arch.gif
To skip also the video part, you need a SuperVidel or CTPCI. That way only a few remaining components (sound dma and the blitter) will share the slow 16-bit data bus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarwinX
Atarian
Atarian

Post by DarwinX »

That all makes sense. Thanks!

I've considered leaving my system bone stock, but I can definitely see the utility in something like a CT60.
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

The CT60 is an awesome upgrade as it's easy to switch back and forth between the stock 030 and the CT60. The only caveat is that it's close to impossible to source the 68060 nowadays.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

If you wait a little bit, Badwolf is close to finalising a 50Mhz 030 Accelerator with full 32bit fastram design. He won't be producing it, he is releasing as open source - so before long you may find it quite easy to obtain one of these which would be a vast improvement for a stock Falcon.
DarwinX
Atarian
Atarian

Post by DarwinX »

stormy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:26 am If you wait a little bit, Badwolf is close to finalising a 50Mhz 030 Accelerator with full 32bit fastram design. He won't be producing it, he is releasing as open source - so before long you may find it quite easy to obtain one of these which would be a vast improvement for a stock Falcon.
I can't seem to find this project page. Do you have a link?
MegaSTEarian
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MegaSTEarian »

DarwinX wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am
stormy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:26 am If you wait a little bit, Badwolf is close to finalising a 50Mhz 030 Accelerator with full 32bit fastram design. He won't be producing it, he is releasing as open source - so before long you may find it quite easy to obtain one of these which would be a vast improvement for a stock Falcon.
I can't seem to find this project page. Do you have a link?
Here: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... d4e94a8546

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”