Aranym/Hatari for Windows CE.NET 4.2 ?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Aranym/Hatari for Windows CE.NET 4.2 ?

Post by nagual »

I recently bought a Psion Netbook Pro, WinCE.NET 4.2 based machine with Intel PXA255/400 MHz processor.

Is it possible to compile Aranym/Hatari for WinCE.NET 4.2 and Intel PXA255/400 MHz processor ?
If is, if someone with enough knowledge is willing to compile ?

Thank you in advance :-)I

Cheers!
:cheers:
mfro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Aranym/Hatari for Windows CE.NET 4.2 ?

Post by mfro »

Don't know about the Psion, but I once tried running Hatari on a Sharp Zaurus (XScale 416 MHz/Linux).

The XScale is an early ARM design and it turned out it's way too slow for Hatari to be usable or even useful. I would assume the same with Aranym.
nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by nagual »

Too bad...
Thank you for quick response :-)

Cheers!
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Aranym isn't as CPU intensive as Hatari, but that processor may still be a bit underpowered. If you have a working cross-compiler for that system, you could try to compile the arm target, and specify the CFLAGS according to the processor.
nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by nagual »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:07 pm Aranym isn't as CPU intensive as Hatari, but that processor may still be a bit underpowered. If you have a working cross-compiler for that system, you could try to compile the arm target, and specify the CFLAGS according to the processor.
Thanks Otto:-)
I have to try, there's some cross-compiler, but I have to try....
Hope not f****d up :-)

Cheers!
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Hatari may work on such under-powered machine, but one needs to:
* Configure / build it to use less accurate oldUAE CPU core (which is removed after Hatari v2.31)
* Preferably also do that with much older Hatari release
* Set host display to 16-bit mode, build Hatari with SDL v1 and ask it to use same bit-depth for rendering (SDL v1 & 16-bit support are also removed after Hatari v2.3.1)
* Disable screen zoom ("--zoom 1") and instead set host display resolution closest to Atari one (e.g. 320x240)
* Use at last frame skip of 1 (setting larger frameskip may help if sound breaks with the default auto-frameskip)
* Disable music from the programs to lessen amount of interrupts to emulate
* Maybe also disable sound completely from Hatari ("--sound off")

If you want sound, STE programs may work better than ST ones because emulating DMA takes less CPU. Sound is something that breaks most noticeably when emulation is not able to run as fast as it should, so disabling sound completely to speed up emulation may not be a big loss.

Hatari manual lists few other things of smaller impact that could be tried for ST/STE emulation.

Return to “Other emulators & tools”