PC core released!

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: PC core released!

Post by slingshot »

scandy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:57 am About Catacomb 3-D.

Maybe something can be done in the Next186 core and/or in the game executable (as a patch) to fix this awesome Wolfenstein 3-D precursor?
Thanks
The problem is because of the Vertical Display End register usage. It's 399 by default (for 400 scanlines), the game simply discards the MSB, which makes it 399-256 = 143. Probably in EGA mode, it should be 200 by default, as I'm not sure if there's a built-in scandoubler in EGA. However this contradicts the LCR (Line Compare Register), which is set to 239, and does the screen split in the correct place (if VDE is disabled in the core temporarily). This needs further understanding of the EGA/VGA behavior (or if somebody knows it, please describe it).
squid4
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by squid4 »

Televicious wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:48 am Ooo, ega and mt-100 civ works perfect.
Televicious can you play the whole "Day of the Tentacle" opening sequence on your MT-100? Think the game expects a new MT-32/MT-100 not my old MT-32 model as some sounds cause issues. Plays perfect on my General MIDI synth.
Televicious
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Televicious »

squid4 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:00 pm
Televicious wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:48 am Ooo, ega and mt-100 civ works perfect.
Televicious can you play the whole "Day of the Tentacle" opening sequence on your MT-100? Think the game expects a new MT-32/MT-100 not my old MT-32 model as some sounds cause issues. Plays perfect on my General MIDI synth.
Yep, DOTT and sam and max mt-32 work great. Watched full intros and about halfway through sam n max game play wise. I get instrument quirks once in a while with them including monkey island. Loom works awesome with the mt32 patch. Colonization runs with it well too, but eventually the game seizes up and stops responding. May be an issue with the 186 for that. Will have to try other sound modes. Haven't gotten older sierra titles to use the mt-100. Though lsl1vga worked great with it.

Seperately, some older games don't start at all like winter games and a few other early dos ones. Alleycat was a garbled screen. Punisher worked amazingly well. Oh and ken's labyrinth the screen was real weird stretched and chopped up in either graphics mode.
GoingDown
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by GoingDown »

Televicious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:37 am Seperately, some older games don't start at all like winter games and a few other early dos ones. Alleycat was a garbled screen. Punisher worked amazingly well. Oh and ken's labyrinth the screen was real weird stretched and chopped up in either graphics mode.
I think these problems with graphics are because of the core limitation of graphic modes. Alleycat for example is CGA game afaik.
"Video modes available: 80x25x256 text, 320x200x256 MCGA, 640x480x256 VESA VBE mode 101h, 640x480x16 VGA planar, 320x200x16 EGA planar, ModeX support."
frubem
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by frubem »

Great core !
Hello guys. Just a question. Is it possible add a floppy disk images / cd rom images suport ?
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

slingshot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:36 pm The problem is because of the Vertical Display End register usage. It's 399 by default (for 400 scanlines), the game simply discards the MSB, which makes it 399-256 = 143. Probably in EGA mode, it should be 200 by default, as I'm not sure if there's a built-in scandoubler in EGA. However this contradicts the LCR (Line Compare Register), which is set to 239, and does the screen split in the correct place (if VDE is disabled in the core temporarily). This needs further understanding of the EGA/VGA behavior (or if somebody knows it, please describe it).

OK, I asked John Carmack and he also replied (!) that:
Cat3d used the "split screen" functionality of the EGA display to both the upper part while the status bar stayed in place. The CRTC address got reset near the bottom. I don't remember the exact details.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

scandy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:02 pm OK, I asked John Carmack and he also replied (!) that:
Cat3d used the "split screen" functionality of the EGA display to both the upper part while the status bar stayed in place. The CRTC address got reset near the bottom. I don't remember the exact details.
I already fixed it. It was not the split screen feature (as I wrote above).
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

Really? Cool, thank you so much!
squid4
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by squid4 »

New release Next186_210802.rbf (update firmware and use new BIOS rom):
* Many improvements in PIC, PIT and PC Speaker
* MPU-401 MIDI out interface (by squidrpi)
* More frequent cache flushes reducing VGA artifacts (however reducing the performance, too)
* EGA/VGA VDE register fix
* Joystick support
* Cache the whole phyisical address space
* NMI button (useful for Turbo Debugger)

There's a spreadsheet showing compatibility status for various games. Feel free to update it.
Televicious

Post by Televicious »

Man, that is awesome. Both, that catacombs all work and that Carmack was contacted for the issue. Lol.
I have found on occassion adlib won't work and the core needs a reboot. Just in case you run into something with adlib and it mysteriously isn't working.
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

Actually Adlib is not detected at all in both Alone in the Dark and Shadow of the Comet (floppy versions of course). Usually it works with /3 speed option, but not with these two titles.
squid4
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by squid4 »

Connected my RPI3 running MT32-Pi to my MIST using the MIDI OUT port directly to GPIO pins. Works great out of the box! Sounds fantastic.

Thanks Scandy for the idea! :D
IMG_1455.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by squid4 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

Hey don't steal my ideas! :D (just joking)
Thank you so much for testing it (can't wait to test it on SIDI!)

EDIT: BTW you should be able to easily switch to SC-55 mode with this utility: https://github.com/gmcn42/mt32-pi-control
squid4
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by squid4 »

Yes the mt32-pi-control works great. Using the DOS version here you can set the mt32-pi to MT32 or GM mode easily. I just put it into a game start BAT file, i.e. to set into GM mode just use "mt32-pi -g" before the game starts.

A way to stop any notes on the mt32-pi if you quit/reset the MIST is to use:
mt32-pi --mt32
mt32-pi --mt32-reset
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

It works perfectly on SIDI! MT-32 Pi and FPGA, yeahhh!!!
GoingDown
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by GoingDown »

Question: Is it possible to get some slower speed ratings than /4? Some old games too fast even with it.
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

I don't know if this is relevant but... with latest release the picture is "cut" vertically on my LCD 4:3 screen, while in previous release was perfect. No problems on my CRT.
squid4
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by squid4 »

Picture looks perfectly centered on my Dell LCD. Have you reset the LCD picture position?
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

squid4 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:02 pm Picture looks perfectly centered on my Dell LCD. Have you reset the LCD picture position?
Yes but nothing changes. Not a big problem for me (I have other monitors) but since with previous releases picture was good, I'm just reporting here.
It seems (but I'm not sure) that latest release introduced some "flickering" issues in Commander Keen 4 (e.g. when objects are in front of the main character).
It's only me? (I'm on SIDI)
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

scandy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:50 pm
squid4 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:02 pm Picture looks perfectly centered on my Dell LCD. Have you reset the LCD picture position?
Yes but nothing changes. Not a big problem for me (I have other monitors) but since with previous releases picture was good, I'm just reporting here.
It seems (but I'm not sure) that latest release introduced some "flickering" issues in Commander Keen 4 (e.g. when objects are in front of the main character).
It's only me? (I'm on SIDI)
Probably your monitor was more happy with the composite sync (well, not because of composite, but because VSYNC was constant 1). If you switch to ypbpr mode, the picture size is OK? (Just the size, not the greenish colors)
Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Total Eclipse »

slingshot wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 pm You can add the missing keys to:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-firm ... des.h#L377
Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about working in github :(

I notice that the USB code that my keyboard (Logitech K270) returns for a backslash is 64. That already appears on the mapping list as PS/2 code 0x56, defined as "Europe 2"?
Atari 1040STfm, Power Computing PC720B external floppy. 40MB HDD
Now playing with MiST :)
squid4
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by squid4 »

I already added it to the firmware, it just hasn't been released yet.
8bitguy1

Post by 8bitguy1 »

squid4 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm Connected my RPI3 running MT32-Pi to my MIST using the MIDI OUT port directly to GPIO pins. Works great out of the box! Sounds fantastic.

Thanks Scandy for the idea! :D

IMG_1455.JPG
That's a nifty solution. I used Roland Midi to USB cables. I tried cheapo Chinese Midi to USB cables but they were awful....
scandy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by scandy »

slingshot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:22 pm Probably your monitor was more happy with the composite sync (well, not because of composite, but because VSYNC was constant 1). If you switch to ypbpr mode, the picture size is OK? (Just the size, not the greenish colors)
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have a PC to edit the .ini file. I confirm that if I switch to ypbpr mode the picture size is OK. Maybe this could be fixed in next release?
Thank you so much.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

scandy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:54 pm
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have a PC to edit the .ini file. I confirm that if I switch to ypbpr mode the picture size is OK. Maybe this could be fixed in next release?
Thank you so much.
Probably a VSYNC polarity switch can be added to the OSD.

Return to “MiST”