It's no more a MiSTery

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: It's no more a MiSTery

Post by slingshot »

krupkaj wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:12 pm I have just tested the real Atari mouse. It is great there is an implementation of the real IKBD. But I have a trouble with right button of the mouse. It does not work the right way. Right button does nothing but when I press the button on the joystick it does what I expect.

I know that the right button is connected to the joystick port in real Atari. Would it be possible to make it this way also on MIST?
I've added the second fire button to the joy0 port (it's not connected on the other port even on the original machine). It's in the git repo.
krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by krupkaj »

Thanks I will check it.
On the original keyboard there is pin 9 of the mouse port (JOY0) connected to pin 6 of the joystick port (JOY1). You can see it in the schematics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

krupkaj wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:46 am Thanks I will check it.
On the original keyboard there is pin 9 of the mouse port (JOY0) connected to pin 6 of the joystick port (JOY1). You can see it in the schematics.
Yes. But pin9 on JOY1 is NC. That means Fire1 on JOY1 equals to Fire2 on JOY0, and Fire2 is not usable on JOY1.
jamesrc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jamesrc »

Right, I'm back. Real life, yadda yadda. (I've had a bunch of side work come in that's semi-urgent so time has been even more precious than normal).

Anyway, I'm done with Spectrum Next stuff for now -- I played most of the boxed Next games I have and tested a good 40+ Spectrum tapes for compatibility. Reported two bugs!

Now I'm grabbing the latest MiSTery core and cracking on with PoV. Starting PoV 41 today.
jamesrc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jamesrc »

Current status: Part way through POV 47.

Nothing new to report that differs from real hardware. Have identified a couple of bad POV disk images with no good copy available, though!

I don't want to monopolise this thread with non-updates, so unless I find something to report then you'll next hear from me somewhere around disk 55.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Just out of interest, would a Falcon core be possible on the MiST?
I know there is no 68030 core on the MiST but the difference between 68020 and 68030 doesn't seem so huge. So I guess the biggest hurdle would be the Motorola 56001 DSP chip.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:54 am Just out of interest, would a Falcon core be possible on the MiST?
I know there is no 68030 core on the MiST but the difference between 68020 and 68030 doesn't seem so huge. So I guess the biggest hurdle would be the Motorola 56001 DSP chip.
The MMU is the most significant difference, I don't know if the TOS for Falcon is using it. Videl probably possible, however I think the DSP wouldn't fit, even if someone writes a HDL code for it.
Accuracy would be another question.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Thanks for the info Slingshot, wasn't the MMU for the Falcon optional?
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:55 pm Thanks for the info Slingshot, wasn't the MMU for the Falcon optional?
It's built into the CPU. AFAIK the Falcon used the "full" CPU, not the low-cost 68EC030, which doesn't have the MMU.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Ah, thanks for the explanation, I looked for an external FPU and found none in the Falcon specs.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:59 pm Ah, thanks for the explanation, I looked for an external FPU and found none in the Falcon specs.
There's an FPU on the schematics. That could be optional.
AnthonyJ
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by AnthonyJ »

slingshot wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:41 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:59 pm Ah, thanks for the explanation, I looked for an external FPU and found none in the Falcon specs.
There's an FPU on the schematics. That could be optional.
The FPU is optional, and is used by some (but not most) software.

The MMU is initialised by the ROM TOS although not for too much, and is used more fully by MiNT / MultiTOS if you enable memory protection. A few other pieces of software touch the MMU to do clever things - eg, see https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25780
Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Gehstock »

Project Suska had a 030 CPU in VHDL, maybe better port the whole Thing
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

it's unlikely to be of good quality or people wouldn't be using TG68k dotc which is 68020
robinsonb5
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by robinsonb5 »

alexh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:02 pm it's unlikely to be of good quality or people wouldn't be using TG68k dotc which is 68020
As I understand it only the cut-down version (68K30L) with no MMU and no integrated caches is available as open source.
(TG68K being 68020 doesn't make any real difference since it also has no integrated caches, so projects that use it will implement their own.)
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

TG68K dotc now has an instruction cache and soon it will have a data cache
robinsonb5

Post by robinsonb5 »

alexh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:20 pm TG68K dotc now has an instruction cache and soon it will have a data cache
Really? Someone's added an integral cache? (As opposed to implementing a cache in the project-specific glue logic between CPU and RAM - which is what both Minimig and Mike Sterling's new accelerator do.) If so, that's very cool, and I look forward to seeing the results!
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

alexh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:20 pm TG68K dotc now has an instruction cache and soon it will have a data cache
Where did you get this?
Actually the cache in Minimig is good enough, so it's not even required. 32 bit external bus width would be more useful (but not for Falcon, as it's only using 16bit - severely crippled the potential of the 68030).
jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jotego »

I have a feature request for MiSTery: composite blending. This is a feature already present in Genesis core of MiSTer. I have attached a couple of snapshots with it enabled and disabled.

Composite blending makes dithering go pretty much away creating new colours. For me, it looks like my old TVs. I used to have my Atari ST connected to a TV back then. I never had a professional monitor.

This probably doesn't require more than a few pixels of memory so there shouldn't be a problem with resources.

I know you can tell me to go away and code it by myself but let me be on the user side for once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Source code of all my cores here.
My Patreon page here.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

@jotego, you already earned the right to request anything.
It's also implemented in Genesis for MiST, too, and also enabled in several arcade cores (in Gehstock's repo). Adding it to MiSTery is not complicated, just also a firmware mod is needed for the menu.
jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jotego »

slingshot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:16 pm @jotego, you already earned the right to request anything.
It's also implemented in Genesis for MiST, too, and also enabled in several arcade cores (in Gehstock's repo). Adding it to MiSTery is not complicated, just also a firmware mod is needed for the menu.
Thank you! I am interested on this effect for my own cores too. Arcades did not have a composite connection but RGB, however I think this filter does a very good job in limiting video signal bandwidth, which would occur in the analog signal path of arcade PCB+CRT screen. I think the filter does not make any colour blending which is ideal because arcades don't blend colours.

I am looking forward to seeing this effect in the MiSTery core.
--
My Patreon page here.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

jotego wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 pm Thank you! I am interested on this effect for my own cores too. Arcades did not have a composite connection but RGB, however I think this filter does a very good job in limiting video signal bandwidth, which would occur in the analog signal path of arcade PCB+CRT screen. I think the filter does not make any colour blending which is ideal because arcades don't blend colours.

I am looking forward to seeing this effect in the MiSTery core.
I've implemented it, and really looks good. The green/white background mesh of GEM is a solid green when it's enabled.
jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jotego »

Wow! Thank you.
Do I need a firmware update to test it? Or do I just compile it?
--
My Patreon page here.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

jotego wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:50 pm Wow! Thank you.
Do I need a firmware update to test it? Or do I just compile it?
Yes, you'll need a firmware update, too for the menu (or just set blend to 1 constantly in mist_top.sv).
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

The newest release got Ethernec support.
You can buy very cheap compatible adapters on Aliexpress, just search for AX88772.

Return to “MiST”