SH204 Shocking Me

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

DomLip
Atarian
Atarian

SH204 Shocking Me

Post by DomLip »

So I was getting my Gotek up and running the other night and decided to fire up the SH204. It was working for a bit and then began to no longer be readable and drive access didn't sound like normal. I went to reset it (switch it on and off) and when my hand touched the data connector I felt a low level buzz of current.

It turns on and the drive spins up. I opened it up and reseated every connector. I didn't see any possible reasons for the zapping it was giving me.

The ST no longer will boot from it. When I turn on the ST initially the red status light blinks but it is like it won't see it any longer..

Any tips for next steps would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dom
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SH204 Shocking Me

Post by tzok »

It could zap you if it is connected to the outlet without the PE (Protective Earth) pin.

For me, the best tools for diagnosing hard drive issues on Atari is ICD PRO. These drives are pretty unreliable now (after 30 years), so it might just die (cylinder 0 got corrupted).
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

I take it the SH204 has a metal case and should be earthed unlike the ST which has a plastic casing and is double insulated. I would advise the whole thing should be tested for electrical safety.

If the earth wire was present it would have probably tripped the RCD or RCBO or a protective device at the consumer unit. You should disconnect from the power supply, open it up and check for any missing shielding, missing or damaged standoffs or any metal part that could come in contact with the outer casing. Probably wise to not use it until it is checked by a qualified electrician.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM (x2), 2.5Mb STF, Atari 2600JR, Flashback 8 Gold.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tzok »

It is normal that switching power supplies have about a half of mains voltage on their chassis. It is due to input line filtering capacitors. If chassis is "touchable" the device should be powered from the outlet with a PE terminal. Despite Atari itself has a plastic case, it also should be "grounded" (powered from an outlet which has PE terminal).

Return to “Hardware”