SNES core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Coffea
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: SNES core

Post by Coffea »

Similar issue with the latest version, the attract loop fills the screen with garbage. Playing works up to the first 'screen change' (about 5 fights in) then the tiles are misplaced and player is stuck against BG.
Peredonov
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Peredonov »

Coffea wrote:Similar issue with the latest version, the attract loop fills the screen with garbage. Playing works up to the first 'screen change' (about 5 fights in) then the tiles are misplaced and player is stuck against BG.
After about two hours of running the NeoGeo core I switched to SNES core and ran FF6 all the way past this point and had no issues. I've been unable to reproduce the fast scrolling background tiles during intro issue I observed once. It looks like issues with this game depend on environmental conditions like cooling, or using 128MB vs 32MB SDRAM. Still it also appears that in some earlier core releases this was not a factor, so the recent ones are doing something sub optimal.
drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by drj3rk »

Peredonov wrote:
Coffea wrote:Similar issue with the latest version, the attract loop fills the screen with garbage. Playing works up to the first 'screen change' (about 5 fights in) then the tiles are misplaced and player is stuck against BG.
After about two hours of running the NeoGeo core I switched to SNES core and ran FF6 all the way past this point and had no issues. I've been unable to reproduce the fast scrolling background tiles during intro issue I observed once. It looks like issues with this game depend on environmental conditions like cooling, or using 128MB vs 32MB SDRAM. Still it also appears that in some earlier core releases this was not a factor, so the recent ones are doing something sub optimal.
I've run into a little bit of graphical weirdness when switching directly from some arcade cores to the SNES core. Things like a little hitching in Super Mario World, or some odd color artifacts. I've found that a full power off will take care of them. This is with Sync to Core on for VSync. This is on HDMI with default aspect ratio. If I do the full cold restart, this tends to go away. I haven't narrowed it down any further than this, but I thought I'd mention it. I know that some side effects are to be expected after switching some (or several) cores on the fly. I try not to do that most of the time, and at least do a System Reset. I was playing SMW the other night though, and saw these things. I hadn't seen them before. The only difference to my normal playing routine is that I had been playing some Arcade cores without resetting.
PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Post by PikWik »

anyone else having an issue with tales of phantasia loading?
all i get is a blank screen after the game loads in the SNES core.
(latest SNES core, as of 2/4/2020)

this is the only game that hasnt loaded.
far east of eden, seiken densetsu 3, front mission gun hazard, star ocean, bahamut lagoon, all work as expected, but not tales of phantasia.

its not too big of a deal, but i did notice that tales didnt start after the SNES core loaded it :shrug:
bootsector
Atari User
Atari User

Post by bootsector »

Tales of Phantasya (Japan).zip loads fine here on latest released version of the SNES core.
PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Post by PikWik »

hmm, trying to open the same pre-patched file and the one i patched myself yielded the same results. blank screen on open.
i also have a japanese version of tales of phantasia, which loaded just fine on my computer and in the SNES mister core, but the pre/patched version did not :?

what did fix it was finding the DeJap non-interleaved IPS english patch on romhacking, and using their online rom patcher with my working japanese version of the game. (both TOP_DX2L.IPS & TOP_DX2U.IPS work using this method, but i prefer the font style of TOP_DX2L.IPS)
at first, none of the 4 english patch files on romhacking worked, but then i clicked on "add temporary header" before patching the game, and tales of phantasia is now working with japanese audio and a english translation on mister :D
AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Post by AndreStarTrek »

Dont know if it is a specific problem with the snes core or a normal behavior, but i just found out i lost 3 hours of gameplay Mystic Quest because the save did not store it on the sd card. After some testing it seams the the core only saves if you reset the game or load a other snes game, so if i reset the mister or turn of the mister it is not saved. I expected save got saved on the sdcard wen you or the game it self saves the game, but this is not happening.
FPGAzumSpass
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by FPGAzumSpass »

You need to either save manually in the OSD or enable autosave in OSD and open the OSD once before turning Mister off.
As it saves for you when loading another game, it seems you already have the autosave on.
AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Post by AndreStarTrek »

FPGAzumSpass wrote:You need to either save manually in the OSD or enable autosave in OSD and open the OSD once before turning Mister off.
As it saves for you when loading another game, it seems you already have the autosave on.
I see, well did not know that, think I missed that with reading about mister. But some how autosave option gives the wrong idea about autosave and yes it is turned on. Well that wont happen me again :wink:
PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Post by PikWik »

@here

anybody that plays alot of super mario world notice some random small graphical errors on the lower part of the screen?
sometimes its a random horizontal line across the very bottom of the screen when theres a number of sprites on the screen, and other times it pops up its a small graphical error on the corner edge of a piece of ground sprite, most noticeable when the ground's edge looks over a large empty space. i have only tested on one of my HDTVs, but of the major cores ive been using (NES, genesis, Neo Geo) this is the only core where im noticing these issues, and i do want to note its specific to super mario world and not other games

i only see them when the vsync is set to zero lag vsync_adjust=2, and if i set vsync to match core frequency vsync_adjust=1 the graphical errors go away.

(a quick video would probably help explain the issue)
PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Post by PikWik »

video example - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bv6g4 ... k9snggzQkT

it is barely noticeable on the recording, but if you slow it down, it's easy to spot (lower right corner)

thank you for looking, i really do appreciate having this core and being able to play these SNES games in all their cycle accuracy glory :wink:
insanewayne253
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by insanewayne253 »

bootsector wrote:Intro runs fine up to this part:

Then I've got this:

Having the same issue here. I also have a heatsink and fan.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

What SD-Ram board do you use? Others said it worked with older versions of the core, maybe you can try this to pinpoint the error.
insanewayne253
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by insanewayne253 »

128mb ram
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Have you tried if it works with the SNES_20190124 version of the core?
insanewayne253
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by insanewayne253 »

Confirmed! SNES_20190124.rbf makes FF3 run perfectly. Sorry for the delay.
ElDoctor
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by ElDoctor »

insanewayne253 wrote:Confirmed! SNES_20190124.rbf makes FF3 run perfectly. Sorry for the delay.
You are not the first one to report and confirm this. Problem is that the devs are stuck with a "get better cooling" opinion on this one.
On a related note, "MSU1 is bad, Blisster sucks, NEOCD support is not worth it because it just has one extra game" ... And so on...
The list is long. So good luck getting this one fixed properly.

Just a major waste of time for people to have to maintain branches left and right to support cool stuff, requested by many users.

At least it is open source, and available, hats off to that.
JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JamesF »

I can see you are unhappy with the endless free stuff you have been given by the effort and countless hour of professional engineers.

You said it right, it's an open source project,, if you want something go DO IT YOURSELF, so other mister owners can benefit from your effort, and complain for your lousy work. :)

Some people can't be pleased. :roll:
Last edited by JamesF on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

ElDoctor wrote:Problem is that the devs are stuck with a "get better cooling" opinion on this one.
On a related note, "MSU1 is bad, Blisster sucks, NEOCD support is not worth it because it just has one extra game" ... And so on...
You probably beed to take a break from these forums, since basically every single post of yours is unnecessarily abrasive, either lashing out at other users or nagging fruitlessly about issues.

All of this is wrong. For this particular FF3 issue, cooling was discussed as a potential source of the problem, but no one said it won't be addressed. How about you contribute some code to fix it? Same with the other things you complained about. It's up to contributors in an open source project to add MSU1 support, regardless of what one dev thinks about it. Sorgelig may not care about NEO-CD but he said Furrtek (or anyone else) is free to add it. So again no need to nag, either do it yourself or wait for someone who can to do it for you.

And finally Blisster does suck :lol: , given that everything it does can now be done with cheaper and official means, but from the beginning it was made clear it would not be officially supported only because part of it is closed source. But the MiSTer project is not stopping anyone from using it.
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

Shame there isn't a like button because I would hit it twice for your post, Peredonov.
DentedRazor
Atarian
Atarian

MiSTer SNES Core & Auto-Tracker Programs...

Post by DentedRazor »

Hello,

I have been using the USB functionality of the SD2SNES with the qusb2snes program for a Auto-Tracker I use for randomized Soul Blazer runs. I noticed on the Mister that there is a USB-Blaster port (on the IO board) and a Debugger port, and I was curious if the RAM of the SNES core (or whatever is used in Auto-Trackers) can be accessed similar to that of the SD2SNES.

Thanks and sorry if this is a old question.

Return to “MiSTer”