Floppy Disk Stream Image Repository

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Floppy Disk Stream Image Repository

Post by ijor »

Mikerochip wrote:I've put together my Greaseweazle, and made a few dumps ...
Is there anywhere in particular you want this? (Or, indeed, all of these?)
Hi, thank you very much. Yes, if you can dump and upload all the original disks you have, that would be great.

Please label each image with as much information as possible. Not just the title of the software, but also the publisher and version if you know them. And also please label them as "Greaseweazle" or something similar. Just in case it might be useful to distinguish images made with that particular hardware and software, it is not exactly the same as the original SCP.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Mikerochip has uploaded a number of 7Zip dump files to my Dropbox link and I have quickly reviewed them. The ones with clean dumps (39 games) are now on the Stream Image Repository. I have added a sub-folder called "greaseweazel dumps" for now to keep these identifiable but DrCoolZic can change this around if required. Filenames also include [GW] to identify they are Greaseweazel dumps.

Filenames include the game name, number of disks and publisher. There are 2 SCP dump files for each disk in the 7Zip files (as provided by mikerochip). Some contain 2 good clean disk dumps and others, only 1 of the SCP dumps looks clean.

I have run these through AUFIT batch processing and the output (STX, protection file and disk layout image) are included in the 7Zip files in the Repository.

There are a number of the games (20 games) provided that do not have complete clean dumps. I can upload these to the Repository as well or mikerochip could give these disks a clean and re-dump them? These are the ones not yet uploaded:
  • AddamsFamily_Ocean_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    BackToTheFuture2_ImageWorks_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    BubbleBobble_HitSquad_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    CrazyCars_HitSquad_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    DoubleDragon_16Blitz_Disk1+2of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    FantasyWorldDizzy_Codemasters_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    FirstDivisionManager_Codemasters_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    FlightOfTheIntruder_SpectrumHolobyte_Disk1of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    ForgottenWorlds_Kixx_Disk1-2of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    Freedom_MonkeyBusiness_Disk1of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    FrostByte_16BitPocketPower_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    FunSchool2Over8_HitSquad_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    HudsonHawk_HitSquad_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    JimmyWhite_Virgin_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    LastNinja3_Kixx_Disk1-2of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    LeisureSuitLarry1_KixxXL_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    LethalWeapon_Ocean_Disk1of1_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    MidnightResistance_Ocean_Disk1of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    QuattroFighters_Codemasters_Disk1-2of2_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
    RoboCop3_Ocean_Disk1-3of3_AtariST_Dump(mikerochip).7z
Last edited by kodak80 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atari STF Remake H4 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Bama »

kodak80 wrote:Mikerochip has uploaded a number of 7Zip dump files to my Dropbox link and I have quickly reviewed them. The ones with clean dumps (36 games) are now on the Stream Image Repository. I have added a sub-folder called "greaseweazel dumps" for now to keep these identifiable but DrCoolZic can change this around if required. Filenames also include [GW] to identify they are Greaseweazel dumps.
kodak80 wrote: I have run these through AUFIT batch processing and the output (STX, protection file and disk layout image) are included in the 7Zip files in the Repository.

There are a number of the games (23 games) provided that do not have complete clean dumps. I can upload these to the Repository as well or mikerochip could give these disks a clean and re-dump them? These are the ones not yet uploaded:
What a strong Atari Community effort! Great work y’all!

BTW, GreaseWeazle...”Power without the Price”?
:-)
BAMA
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

I have more to upload, and more to dump too.
I'm finished dumping my original disks I owned in the 90's, and I'm now dumping all the cover disks I owned.
When I'm done, I'll move on to the games I've since purchased.

Of the not complete clean dumps above, some of the disks are clean, eg Robocop3 Disks 1 and 2 I think are ok, but not disk 3.

but, the most interesting is the game Freedom (Rebels in the darkness), from Monkey Business. I think this is the only English language release of this game.
The original releases were in French/German.
Unfortunately, I only have disk 1, not disk 2.

I spent a little bit of time talking to the guys on the Video Game Preservation Society, and it looks like the GW/Supercard Pro doesn't image the disks at a high enough resolution for preservation, unlike the Kryoflux.
So, I may need to do this all again, with a KF. Tch :)
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Mikerochip wrote: but, the most interesting is the game Freedom (Rebels in the darkness), from Monkey Business. I think this is the only English language release of this game.
The original releases were in French/German.
Unfortunately, I only have disk 1, not disk 2.
Great work. Keep them coming.

I have now added this disk dump for Freedom (Rebels in the darkness) to the Stream Repository and added a file inside the 7Zip file to indicate that Disk 2 is missing.

Feel free to upload dumps to the Dropbox link. I am happy to transfer these to the Stream Repository. If everyone is happy to have the dumps unchecked then I will simply transfer them over.

EDIT: I have now transferred Robocop3, Double Dragon, Quattro Fighters, Midnight Resistance and Forgotten Worlds from the bad list above and the filename indicates which disks are bad in the zip file.
Atari STF Remake H4 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

Mikerochip wrote:I spent a little bit of time talking to the guys on the Video Game Preservation Society, and it looks like the GW/Supercard Pro doesn't image the disks at a high enough resolution for preservation, unlike the Kryoflux.
So, I may need to do this all again, with a KF. Tch :)
Exactly who told you that? The original SCP works at 40MHz and has better resolution that the Kryoflux that samples at 24 MHz. I'm not so familiar with the Greaseweazle, but according to the developer it samples transitions at 72MHz. That would be even better (in this regard) than the SCP and that would be about 3 times better the resolution of the Kryoflux !!

Having said that, the resolution of the Kryoflux is good enough for floppies. You don't really gain much, if at all, with improving the resolution. At least not for normal floppies. But the Kryoflux resolution is certainly not better. Again, that is assuming the Greaseweazle indeed samples with a 72MHz accuracy.
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

Fair enough.

(Just asking: how come the KF dumps are so much larger then, file size wize?)

Most of my floppy disks, I'm scanning in (the front of) too, at 1200DPI, and uploading to Archive.org.
https://archive.org/details/AtariST_Amiga_Floppy_Disks

I'm then cropping them, and uploading each individually (So, Box, manual, floppy, anything else I have)
It's slow going!

Fun though :)
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

Mikerochip wrote:Fair enough.
(Just asking: how come the KF dumps are so much larger then, file size wize?)
The size of the dumps doesn't have much to do with the sampling accuracy. It depends more on the file format and the encoding.

Anyway, KF and SCP dumps should be about the same size. Are you dumping 5 revolutions per track, aren't you?
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

ijor wrote:Are you dumping 5 revolutions per track, aren't you?
I will be from now on....
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

Is there any advantage to dumping at more than 5 revolutions?

I've updated my tiny front end to default to 5 revolutions now, and writing a log file too, to make life easier.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

As KF uses 5 revs and with SCP we usually use 5 revolutions as a maximum, I doubt having more would be of any benefit if the GW can do this.

Thanks to Mikerochip, ST Format [GW] dumps for some cover disks which are now in the Greaseweazel folder in the Repository. There are 2 copies of each disk in each 7zip file.
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

Good to know, thanks.

I uploaded a few more cover disks. One I visually inspected, and it looks like there's physical damage.

Disk 41a I think is copy protected. None of the rest of them are, from what I can see.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

Mikerochip wrote:Is there any advantage to dumping at more than 5 revolutions?
Some would say that the more the merrier, but you reach a point that more revolutions don't add any significant value and then it is not worth. For most cases even 5 revolutions aren't really need it. We do it just in case. Remember this might be the last chance to dump those disks, so it's better to be safe, again, just in case.
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

ijor wrote:Remember this might be the last chance to dump those disks, so it's better to be safe, again, just in case.
Yeah, that's why I'm making 2x dumps of each disk.

In most cases, each dump is fine, but, on a few cover disks, I've noticed the second dump has 1 bad sector!
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

OK, I uploaded a few more cover disks. Sadly, some still have bad sectors, even after cleaning.
(On almost all cover disks with bad sectors, the disks themselves show no signs of mould, but a few do have visible marks where maybe the head hit the mylar?)

Can anyone look at the cover disks, and check what's good to keep?
I'm uploading all that I have, since someone else may have the same disks, but worst case, different bad sectors which should allow a repair?

I'm almost done with my own original disks. The last set are ST Action. Many of those disks seem to be protected, and almost all the disks I've come across (eg Tosec etc) have desktop.inf files that have been replaced.

Can SCP dumps be correctly converted to Kryoflux heavy dumps?
I'm only asking, since lots of people take .ipf files reasonably seriously!

I presume you guys have no interest in my Amiga disks? :D

(Apart from stuff like multi format disks, I guess!)
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

Couple more coverdisks.

ST Action D57 works fine as an SCP, but the .stx doesn't.

And I think I messed up (the naming on) ST User Disk 53 and 54, so I uploaded them again.

Now, on to disks I've bought lately!
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Mikerochip wrote:Couple more coverdisks.

ST Action D57 works fine as an SCP, but the .stx doesn't.

And I think I messed up (the naming on) ST User Disk 53 and 54, so I uploaded them again.

Now, on to disks I've bought lately!
Thanks for your time dumping these disks. The Greaseweazel is getting a good workout.

Here is an STX from your SCP dump. It looks like AUFIT sees something wrong but HxC Floppy Emulator doesn't and can create a working STX:
STAction_Issue66_1993-10_STAction_Disk57of58_AtariST_Dump1.zip
I have also added this STX to the 7zip dump in the Repository.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

Thanks!

I've uploaded the 5x disks from the compilation Movie Stars from Titus.
Scans of the disks are here:
https://archive.org/details/Movie_Stars_Titus_AtariST
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

And a few more cover disks. ST Action Disk 19 says it has no protection, but Aufit makes a .st file that doesn't seem to work. The .stx seems to be fine though.

And if someone could check the Zero magazine disks. They're dual ST/Amiga format. I've no idea if they dumped correctly!
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

Hi all, I've been sorting through my Atari disks and have about 200 original games that I can image.
I've done one so far, Rick Dangerous
link: http://tortil.la/temp/KRYO_rickdangerous_spiny.zip

can someone check to make sure I'm doing this correctly :D I don't want to image 200 disks and find out they aren't good enough :D

I used Aufit to make an STX image and was able to play the game in STEEM, so it -appears- to be going well, but a second opinion would be useful too :)
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

spiny wrote:Hi all, I've been sorting through my Atari disks and have about 200 original games that I can image.
I've done one so far, Rick Dangerous
link: http://tortil.la/temp/KRYO_rickdangerous_spiny.zip

can someone check to make sure I'm doing this correctly :D I don't want to image 200 disks and find out they aren't good enough :D

I used Aufit to make an STX image and was able to play the game in STEEM, so it -appears- to be going well, but a second opinion would be useful too :)
Looks good to me. Shows as a clean dump in AUFIT. AUFIT (STX) and KF (CT Raw) generate and work in STEEM. I would be happy with this dump if it was one I had done. I would say you have this correct and are good to work through your disks. As Igor mentioned, please include the publisher any other relevant information either in the filename or a text file in the compressed zip. Also, 7zip format compresses dumps better than Zip format and will save storage space.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

I have moved Mikerochip's dumps into the main folder as they are all tagged to identify [GW]. No need to keep them in a folder.

I have also re-tested Mikerochip's Forgotten Worlds [Kixx] dump in HxC Floppy Emulator and the disk 1 dump that shows bad in AUFIT looks fine in HxC. I have therefore updated this in the repository as it looks good. AUFIT shows disk 1 as having missing track data.

AUFIT:
ForgottenWorlds_Kixx_Disk1of2_AtariST_Dump0.scp-AUFIT.png
ForgottenWorlds_Kixx_Disk1of2_AtariST_Dump0.scp-DIskLayout.jpg
HxC:
ForgottenWorlds_Kixx_Disk1of2_AtariST_Dump0.scp-HxC-diskview.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

kodak80 wrote: Looks good to me. Shows as a clean dump in AUFIT. AUFIT (STX) and KF (CT Raw) generate and work in STEEM. I would be happy with this dump if it was one I had done. I would say you have this correct and are good to work through your disks. As Igor mentioned, please include the publisher any other relevant information either in the filename or a text file in the compressed zip. Also, 7zip format compresses dumps better than Zip format and will save storage space.

cool, I'll get imaging :)
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

Stormtracker (ASTRAsoft 1993 2 disks, but I have two copies of disk a, so two versions) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JOVuc_ ... sp=sharing
TCB Tracker: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v4qk5M ... sp=sharing

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”