No network with Ethernet cable

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

spark2k06
Atari User
Atari User

No network with Ethernet cable

Post by spark2k06 »

I am confused, I have not used the MiSTer for a long time and I do not know why, but when connecting via Ethernet, (no WiFi problem) the network is not detected. I remember that before it worked for me... :shrug:

1. I have verified that the network cable is correct, connected to another device I have network via DHCP.

2. Curiously, when turning on the MiSTer, the RJ45 connector LED turns on half a second and then no longer turns on, never... even with a cable connected. By connecting and disconnecting the cable with MiSTeR on, this LED of RJ45 always remains off.

Any ideas? Could it be a configuration issue?
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Thought Mister Network port was dead.

Post by comfysofa »

In the spirit of giving back as it were i thought id just let people know what i found...

As above network port was dead. (or so i thought it was)...cut past 10 days of messing around, and it turns out the problem was a managed switch (house network switch) was the problem, not just one but my back up switch also didnt work (both netgear 48 port switches - one of them a poe varient) GS748's if anyone wants the model numbers. If i hang a dumb switch off the back of the managed switch all is good. Just in case anyone gets the same symptoms...
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: No network with Ethernet cable

Post by comfysofa »

Just got through the same problem myself - turned out to be a managed switch that was the problem, i ended up repatching through a dumb network switch hanging off the back of the managed one fixed the problem.
ragnar76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by ragnar76 »

start simple:

* do you have an eth0 device?
* what does ifconfig say?
* does it work if you enter: ifconfig eth0 ${An IP of your local net like 192.168.1.23} up (you should ping a few ips, dns should not work!)
• FireBee • Falcon060 • Falcon040 • Falcon030 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • (Mega)ST •
BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Thought Mister Network port was dead.

Post by BigMac740p »

comfysofa wrote:In the spirit of giving back as it were i thought id just let people know what i found...

As above network port was dead. (or so i thought it was)...cut past 10 days of messing around, and it turns out the problem was a managed switch (house network switch) was the problem, not just one but my back up switch also didnt work (both netgear 48 port switches - one of them a poe varient) GS748's if anyone wants the model numbers. If i hang a dumb switch off the back of the managed switch all is good. Just in case anyone gets the same symptoms...
Could be a bad cable, have you try to fix the port speed on your manageable switch?
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Yep - tried everything, reducing the speed, changing the duplex, stopping the poe power, cables, alternative sockets...the only thing that cured it was putting a dumb switch in the way....however i can only say for the 2 managed switches ive been using.
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

So, just to add to this - ive just tried it at work on an old 3com poe network stack and it doesnt work on there either....were just about to commission a new dell poe stack - (brand new) so ill report back - if that doesnt work then it looks like an inherent problem with them...i would say...nice to see if anyone else has access to try through a managed switch...

Edit - scrub that - works on our 3com system (i was plugging into a hard configured port) - i will try it on the dell though when it gets installed....
drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by drj3rk »

I've run into this on my Cisco switch. On the Cisco, you have to set the port to "Host" mode.

The commands:

conf t
int gi0/15 (assuming you want port 15 and depending on whether the switch is stacked or has expansions)
switchport host
end
write mem

That will set port 15 to host mode.

The switch was shutting down the port almost immediately, making the MiSTer think it wasn't even plugged in.

I believe it's something related to spanning-tree, but host mode avoids it. I'm not sure what the equivalent command would be on other brands of switches, but maybe diabling either spanning-tree or portfast modes on your port, or maybe finding out what the equivalent of host mode would be would help.

Or one other option might be to put a small unmanaged switch between the MiSTer and the managed switch.
drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by drj3rk »

I posted some more information on this in the other thread. (currently at the top of this subforum right now)

Return to “MiSTer”