MSX core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MSX core

Post by DanyPPC »

You can choose to store disk games in a "dsk" directory, such as rom games in a "msx1" and "msx2" directories.
nico24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by nico24 »

Dany - thanks for your help on Ianna!!

Trying it out unfortunately I get "This Megarom file does not support 1Chip-MSX"!! so maybe not possible.

I might still be able to get it working on my real msx though...
nico24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by nico24 »

So has anyone got Sword of Ianna working on the MiSTer? I'm not sure Dany was referring to that.
bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by bitfan2011 »

hey all

what am i doing wrong with the MSX core, i can't get 240p out of VGA. i have to enable the scanlines to get the doubled rez, then the video will display. i also get nothing over HDMI now :[

who is actually behind this core? is it basically a straight port from MIST right now?

cheers
DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DanyPPC »

nico24 wrote:So has anyone got Sword of Ianna working on the MiSTer? I'm not sure Dany was referring to that.
I played it on old MSX-Core and new MSX-Core (ported from MiSTer) on my MiST without problems,

Actual MSX Core should be the same on both MiST and MiSTer, or I wrong ?
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

DanyPPC wrote:
nico24 wrote:So has anyone got Sword of Ianna working on the MiSTer? I'm not sure Dany was referring to that.
I played it on old MSX-Core and new MSX-Core (ported from MiSTer) on my MiST without problems,

Actual MSX Core should be the same on both MiST and MiSTer, or I wrong ?
The Sword of Ianna DOES work great on the MiSTer, just do this:
-Set 2nd slot to "MegaRAM ASCII-16K 2MB"
-mgload ianna.rom /S02
-enjoy an awesome game!!

@sorgelig: there's this MSX DISPLAY.COM utility that switches between NTSC and PAL display modes on the MSX, by issuing an VDP command. It does not work on HDMI. Since there is a lot of PAL-only MSX software, could it be made to work?
https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/soft ... 50-to-60hz
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

What you mean by "doesn't work on HDMI"? Does it switch the core itself between PAL/NTSC?
HDMI PAL/NTSC is controlled by MiSTer.ini. Or you have to use vsync_adjust=1 if you want HDMI to follow core's frame rate.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

Sorgelig wrote:What you mean by "doesn't work on HDMI"? Does it switch the core itself between PAL/NTSC?
HDMI PAL/NTSC is controlled by MiSTer.ini. Or you have to use vsync_adjust=1 if you want HDMI to follow core's frame rate.
What the DISPLAY.COM (and HERTZ.COM, included with MSX-DOS latest version) is set VDP to PAL or NTSC. That does not happen on this core using the HDMI display.
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

I dunno if this helps at all, but here's what my OSSC shows when i hook up some real MSXs vs. the current MiSTer core w/ default .ini

MSXs were connected by RGB SCART and the MiSTer via VGA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bitfan2011 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

sorry, if you hover over you can see the image names
strogen
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by strogen »

I can't get sdcreate to work properly. I create vhd and launch sdcreate from command prompt administrator rights. It runs, it has a message that says ### CRITICAL ERROR: THE TARGET DRIVE IS NOT FOUND!

I created the vhd properly, windows recognize it. But when createsd runs my drive space become allocated and I need to format again.

I am using windows 7.
NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NML32 »

strogen wrote:I can't get sdcreate to work properly. I create vhd and launch sdcreate from command prompt administrator rights. It runs, it has a message that says ### CRITICAL ERROR: THE TARGET DRIVE IS NOT FOUND!

I created the vhd properly, windows recognize it. But when createsd runs my drive space become allocated and I need to format again.

I am using windows 7.
I'm not sure if this YT video will help since it was recorded on a Win10 PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhOqqawslE
strogen
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by strogen »

I was following the video..... I think I need to install Windows 10.

Is there a way to do this by just putting the files on the VHD and moving that over to the SD Card?

Doe's this core require a second SD Card slot (IO Board)?
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

Can someone please help me get 240p out of the VGA port for this core? thanks
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

Do you guys know how to set up a keyboard layout for the MSX2 core? It seems to be "part of the firmware" according to KdL himself, but does that mean it's impossible to set up an spanish keyboard layout without a core rebuild?
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

vanfanel wrote:Do you guys know how to set up a keyboard layout for the MSX2 core? It seems to be "part of the firmware" according to KdL himself, but does that mean it's impossible to set up an spanish keyboard layout without a core rebuild?
Yes, it's hardcoded in the core.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

slingshot wrote:
vanfanel wrote:Do you guys know how to set up a keyboard layout for the MSX2 core? It seems to be "part of the firmware" according to KdL himself, but does that mean it's impossible to set up an spanish keyboard layout without a core rebuild?
So, would I be able to simply change a line on the core's sources, rebuild and that's all? (When the core is ported to the open-source scaler, because right now I would need the expensive altera tools to build a full version with the IP scaler if I'm not mistaken..)
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

vanfanel wrote:
slingshot wrote:
So, would I be able to simply change a line on the core's sources, rebuild and that's all? (When the core is ported to the open-source scaler, because right now I would need the expensive altera tools to build a full version with the IP scaler if I'm not mistaken..)
More like replace a keymap.vhd file with a keymap.spanish.vhd (just an example), somewhere in the peripherals directory.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

@Sorgelig: I have seen you have applied an ym2149 noise fix to the ZX Spectrum and CPC cores:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ZX-Spec ... 61ef03c0b7

Could this be applied to the MSX core, too? Some games like "Invasion of the Zombie Monsters" have missing percussions, and this could be related.
Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Glaurung »

Amazing!
Playing my favorite game
Playing Maze of galious with NO INPUT LAG.
The emulators,had an horrible INPUT LAG (0,2-0,5 seconds when hit the sword)
The sound is much better than emulators too,

Awesome! thanyou! :cheers:
Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Glaurung »

I have been playing around with this core. I can play 95% of games, it's near perfect. Much better than playing with raspi.

But I have noticed a very strange bug, In fact it's strange because it happens with another fpga (ZX-uno), in MSX core.
The thing is related to the keyboard, (I have tested in 2 diferent keyboards)

When you press this 3 keys (Left arrow+up arrow+space bar) paying in any game, doesn't work.
I.E the typical arcade game, you can't shot or jump or whatever if you press this 3 keys.It doenst work,its blocks.
Any other comnination (right arrow+up arrow+space bar) works good.

I'ts annoying because its a typical key combination when you play something.

Maybe its may fault, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Anyone happens this?
GoingDown
Atari User
Atari User

Post by GoingDown »

Glaurung wrote:When you press this 3 keys (Left arrow+up arrow+space bar) paying in any game, doesn't work.
I.E the typical arcade game, you can't shot or jump or whatever if you press this 3 keys.It doenst work,its blocks.
This might be caused by keyboard rollover: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)
If it is possible, try mapping different jump key (instead of space) - or map direction keys to somewhere else
Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Glaurung »

GoingDown wrote:
Glaurung wrote:When you press this 3 keys (Left arrow+up arrow+space bar) paying in any game, doesn't work.
This might be caused by keyboard rollover: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)
If it is possible, try mapping different jump key (instead of space) - or map direction keys to somewhere else
It's not a "kyboard rollover".
Any other kind of 3 keys combination when playing with spacebar works.
The only combination key that doenst work its left+up+spacebar. In every game. I have tried with another diiferent keyboard with the same results.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

what keyboard do you use?
Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Glaurung »

Sorgelig wrote:what keyboard do you use?
acer usb normal standard keyboard kb75211
dell usb keyboard

If someone can tellme that he doens't have this strange bug, I will asume that something very odd is happening with my 2 keyboards+fpga.

Return to “MiSTer”