My Interview With:Martin Piper (Argonaut:Alien Resurrection/Creature Shock/FX Fighter etc).

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: My Interview With:Martin Piper (Argonaut:Alien Resurrection/Creature Shock/FX Fighter etc).

Post by DarkLord »

Creature Shock on the Jag....man, that would have been cool.

Thanks for the post! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: My Interview With:Martin Piper (Argonaut:Alien Resurrection/Creature Shock/FX Fighter etc).

Post by lostdragon »

Your welcome.

I've never really understood why Atari seemed to want Creature Shock so badly and i personally don't think it'd of done anything for the Jaguar CD, in terms of pushing sales or the overal reputation of the Jaguar libary.
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

There were creature shock labelled CDR's in the same skip at ASL (Argonaut Software Ltd) where we rescued a Jaguar Alpine board, some developer docs/discs and the Jaguar CD dev-kit in 1997. I had never heard of Creature Shock so I never thought about taking them. They could have been PC or CDi but they were with the Jaguar.

The developer Jaguar console which worked with the other two units turned up a few days later in the back room at ATL (Argonaut Technology Limited which was in another building around the corner)

I later gave the whole devkit to my house-mate before we left Argonaut in 1998.

I was told that Argonaut had developed a 3D chipset in cooperation with LSI. However LSI and Argonaut failed to find a buyer before their cooperative contract ran out. Whispers around the office mentioned it could have been destined for the PSOne. This was before I joined but pub talk for year I was there always went back to how LSI screwed Argonaut out of the PSOne GPU deal.
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lostdragon »

There seems to have been misc 'test' work done on Jaguar CD Creature Shock, added to Martin's comments were those of Nic Cusworth:As for the Jag. I know we had dev kit/s. I remember them coming in. I remember the tech department were looking at them but I’m not sure they went out to the dev teams. Creature Shock was being ported to anything with a CD and I do think porting work probably started for the Jag.

I can’t speak for Jez but I would assume it never surfaced for a few reasons. We were probably asking a bunch of money for the port and also Jez was smart in always seeing the next thing, and the Jag wasn’t it.

Mike Fulton who told me via email, he did convert 'Generic Creature shock FMV' into a video format Jag CD could play, but that was all.

So i'd guess those early test routines ended up on CDR.

But going off comments from Jez San talking to Edge and what Nic have said, along with Darryl Still, whilst Atari badly wanted it for Jaguar CD, Jez knew the Jaguar was failing at retail and thus was not the platform to risk backing.

Darryl told me they could never 'pin Jez down' (ie get him to commit to converting game to the Jaguar) and Atari themselves did'nt have the money to secure the rights to a conversion and get someone else to convert it for them.

Nic has talked openly of Jez having the farsight to see the next big thing, Jaguar simply was'nt it.

Creature shock i very much doubt was the only conversion that Atari wanted and inital work was started on looking at how Jaguar would of best handled it, claims have been around for years the FMV from 3DO Demolition Man was converted, but the 3DO coder knew nothing, so guess that went to a different person.

I was also lucky enough to speak to Mike Diskett, who took it apon himself to attempt to convert Magic Carpet to Jaguar CD, again just inital test routines carried out, it became clear Jaguar was never going to handle the texture-mapping, he had test routines running plain polys, but game just did'nt look right so all work stopped.

From Adam Caveman and Druid 2 on A8, Nebulus 2 on ST to so much on Jaguar.... UK Press alone have falsely commented on status of games that were never even started, just discussed or started but no 'real' coding ever done.

Shame those CD-R's were'nt recovered, as you say they might have been for formats other than Jaguar or if they had they might just of had more generic FMV sequences (Jez told Edge, when hyping up PC CD Creature shock it was designed to be easily ported to any CD based system that could handle the data transfer)...least we'd of had something.

In the recent years Jez admits he really cannot remember much on Creature Shock, only it was 1 of the 1st CD games Argonaut did, fair enough it's been a number of years...

But he then oddly went onto slag off the Sega Mega Drive's ability for polygon 3D, even though it had a number of games converted to it from the ST, let alone E.A's F-22, LHX Attack Chopper etc.

I always recal him talking to C+VG when Starfox was out and his hope many developers would embrace his FX Chip and likes of Microprose etc would use it to bring their games to the SNES.

Sadly never happened.

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”