Atari STE stopped working (Black Screen)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

squidbass
Atarian
Atarian

Atari STE stopped working (Black Screen)

Post by squidbass »

Sadly my atari ste which has not been used for around two weeks seems to have died. The symptoms are black screen on both MedRes & HiRes (I have a din to scart cable as well as the vga adaptor). When using the scart the power led comes on but the floppy led doesn't. However, when using the VGA adaptor the floppy led does turn on briefly and goes off - then flickers dimly.

Any ideas about how to go about diagnosing this? As I say, it was working fine two weeks ago. I am in the process of stripping the atari down, removing the rf shielding etc. and resocketing the tos chips to see if that helps but I'd appreciate any of the gurus' help.

squidbass
STe1040,TT030, some amigas, C64s, RiscPC700, IBM Netvista, Mac 475
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Atari STE stopped working (Black Screen)

Post by 1024MAK »

As you are already taking it apart, if you have a multimeter, test the +5V dc and the +12V dc power lines.
If these are good, and pushing the socketed chips in to their sockets does not help, try holding the reset switch in for 5 seconds after powering up.
Also put a bootable floppy in, ideally with a program like a game which has sound and which you don't mind loosing (just in case :wink: ) to see what happens. If you don't have such a disk, use a formatted disk.
If the machine tries to access the floppy, but dies or resets, check the dc supply voltages while you repeat the tests.

And, of course, report back your results :mrgreen:

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

My TT till today was completely dead (blank screen, just flashing led)
When I replaced reset button with another one (from my old broken STfm) TT magically came to life :)
It turned out that button was broken and always pressed.
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net / AT Speed C16
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
squidbass
Atarian
Atarian

Post by squidbass »

Well I finally got round to stripping the STe and re-seating the socketed chips but I still have the issue of white screen -> black screen. It looks like it is pointing to a faulty reset switch (as per Simbo's old post) - not an easy repair for me :-( Besides I don't think these reset switches are easy to find nowadays.

s.
STe1040,TT030, some amigas, C64s, RiscPC700, IBM Netvista, Mac 475
protek
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by protek »

squidbass wrote:Well I finally got round to stripping the STe and re-seating the socketed chips but I still have the issue of white screen -> black screen. It looks like it is pointing to a faulty reset switch (as per Simbo's old post) - not an easy repair for me :-( Besides I don't think these reset switches are easy to find nowadays.

s.
Can't you just remove the switch and try if it works without it?
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
LoGiCa
Atari User
Atari User

Post by LoGiCa »

I'm having the same problem.

Have a look at the suggestions in my thread.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23750

I also need a replacement reset switch if anyone knows where to get them from?

Return to “Hardware”