New SuperVidel & some ideas for future development.

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Will You be interester with buying of:

New Super Videl
48%
SATA/USB Board
30%
I do not have CT60e, I have to buy CT60e first.
23%

Total votes: 200

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Re: New SuperVidel & some ideas for future development.

Post by leech »

joska wrote:
shoggoth wrote:Screen rotation could be achieved with some work using the TOS VDI, but I'm fairly confident that it's more or less impossible/hellish to achieve this on the NVDI driver side.
Such a solution will work with virtually no software that does anything else than outputting text. OTOH if the SuperVidel itself rendered the framebuffer +/-90 degrees it would be just another resolution on the software side. 1200x1920 would be awesome for coding :)
Sad thing is, the normal widescreen display that we are now all stuck with, is really only optimal for movies and video games. Seems the large proportion of computing use really should be done vertically for page layout and such.
Would absolutely adore using the Falcon at 1200x1920!
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

joska wrote:Such a solution will work with virtually no software that does anything else than outputting text.
It won't work for non-VDI stuff, if that's what you mean. Anything VDI/GEM wouldn't even know about it (i.e. it would work out of the box).
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Yes, but a lot of applications that looks like GEM applications writes window contents directly to screen memory. That's why the SuperVidel is so brilliant.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

joska wrote:Yes, but a lot of applications that looks like GEM applications writes window contents directly to screen memory.
If it works on Aranym + native fVDI, it should work on a software-rotated VDI as well. Not even Conholio does naughty things like that (although I've considered it as an option).
That's why the SuperVidel is so brilliant.
\o/

Agreed. I'd say it's the only *real* Atari graphics card. Maybe the AlberTT qualifies too, since (afaik) it has the same screen layout.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

shoggoth wrote:
joska wrote:Yes, but a lot of applications that looks like GEM applications writes window contents directly to screen memory.
If it works on Aranym + native fVDI, it should work on a software-rotated VDI as well. Not even Conholio does naughty things like that (although I've considered it as an option).
That's why the SuperVidel is so brilliant.
\o/

Agreed. I'd say it's the only *real* Atari graphics card. Maybe the AlberTT qualifies too, since (afaik) it has the same screen layout.
It definitely is a proper extension of what Atari intended. Appropriately named as well, since it very much acts like the Videl with a much higher limitation.
Time machine time: I believe I read that an initial thought for the Videl/Falcon/Sparrow was that it was going to be an upgrade for the ST line. Wonder if any magical FPGA board could be made to bring that idea back. (Seems to me that the original STs were not very expandable though.)

Sorry for the off topic, but again if we could have a cheap upgrade to bring most standard STs to Falcon like graphics, we might see a nice surge of development for it. Then again, maybe Atari thought that about the STe.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1st1 »

leech wrote: Sorry for the off topic, but again if we could have a cheap upgrade to bring most standard STs to Falcon like graphics, we might see a nice surge of development for it. Then again, maybe Atari thought that about the STe.
Just forget it!

By the way, when the production of new Super Videl starts? I want my Super Videl!
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 3x Falcon 030 * 3x TT030 * many 260 /520/1040ST(F)(M)(+) * 520/1040STE * many Mega ST * 2x Mega STE * Stacy * STBook * 2x SLM605 * 3x SLM804 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3 * ...
guibrush
Atarian
Atarian

Post by guibrush »

Any news from Willy ? Is the Supervidel developpement still ongoing ? Would be nice to have some update about that.
Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

[quote=Rustynutt post_id=354397 time=1539019100 us

Willy, put me down for 6 of everything.
Rustynutt.
Thanks.
[/quote]

Need to adjust the request. Having sold 4 of the Falcons past 2 years, of the remaining 3, one yet has an SV installed, another uses a NOVA/ATI setup, will only require 2 "e" compatible cards, one for fitting, one for a spare :)

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”