All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., lp, Moderator Team

francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

MILAN 040 questions.

Post by francouai »

Good days guys!

I'm wondering what you guys are doing with your MILAN ?
We know all that the Atari ST games are not compatible (or I missed something :D )
None of demos groups released something on it.

What OS is using Milan?
Looks like it is not a real GEM like Atari.
--
Francouai :angel:
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: MILAN 040 questions.

Post by joska »

It is real. It's real TOS 4 licensed from Atari, adapted to Milan hardware. But as the Milan has nothing in common with any Atari hardware-wise except for the MFP, no games or demos works on it. It is probably the best GEM-machine ever made though. Very stable and trouble-free, it simply works.

My Milan runs MiNT/XaAES, I use it for programming. Even stuff developed for Falcon/ST is developed on the Milan, with the resulting binaries transferred to the Falcon/ST using PARCP or UIPtool for testing/debugging.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
elliot
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by elliot »

Just out of interest what about Sim City? That was GEM based, there must be other GEM games too.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Purely GEM/VDI-based games will work, and also some SDL-ports. However, SimCity is not a "proper" GEM game, it only uses GEM for some UI elements.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

I've got Magic Milan running on mine, tis a lovely GEM compatible machine. I used mine for WP and DTP up until five years ago. I did have a few games that worked, Doom ran in postage stamp mode... :)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours
francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by francouai »

Magic Milan is the same running on the Falcon 060?
--
Francouai :angel:
Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ektus »

Not the same, but close enough. Sources are available, so you can look yourself.
I've still got my Milan in use on a daily basis, but only as a secondary machine (providing local backup) for e-mail and news.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage
PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by PeterS »

I use my Milan 060 for email, most of my spreadsheet, word processing and photo scanning.

I can't get usb to work properly and since my old Inkjet packed in I haven't been able to print on the new Xerox laser.

Getting usb working would be great.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Ektus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 pm Not the same, but close enough. Sources are available, so you can look yourself.
I've still got my Milan in use on a daily basis, but only as a secondary machine (providing local backup) for e-mail and news.
Off topic, but since this caught your attention Ektus :)

Would you ask on the German Atari forum if anyone has a connection diagram (or any files) for the Afterburner header used to program the MACH IC's?
I'd like to try to read them, afraid I wouldn't be able to communicate what I'm after.

Cheers :)
nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by nagual »

Stupid question - what will be price for Milan 040/060, good equipped, in case somebody want to sell ? :shrug: :shrug:
Just rob one bank is enough or need more of them ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cheers:

Is it possible to buy a new one ?

Cheers!
:cheers:
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

These are 90's machines :)
Forget what I paid exactly for just the motherboard, used, was near $600.
Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ektus »

Rustynutt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 pm Would you ask on the German Atari forum if anyone has a connection diagram (or any files) for the Afterburner header used to program the MACH IC's?
I'd like to try to read them, afraid I wouldn't be able to communicate what I'm after.
You can ask in english there, no problem. I've forwarded your question to https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... 533.0.html
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Thanks!
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

Can you also name applications that you are using on Milan?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ektus »

Me? Cat for E-Mail and News, MyMail for E-Mail, Phoenix database, Signum!4 word processor, Smurf and Papillon image processing, QED editor, and lots more. Web surfing doesn't work too well anymore, the computing requirements of current websites are way beyond what a 680x0 can provide.
Some casual games (Solitaire, Minesweeper and the like), and of course tools to maintain the system, copy files and such (Hddrutil, checkdisk3, treecheck, Kobold, ...)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I run MiNT+XaAES+Teradesk almost 100% of the time. I don't use many applications, mostly PureC, qed and Interface. I also run bash in a TosWin window, and a few "unix" tools that I use to automate stuff when programming.
Jo Even

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Afterburner (was: MILAN 040 questions)

Post by czietz »

Rustynutt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 pm Would you ask on the German Atari forum if anyone has a connection diagram (or any files) for the Afterburner header used to program the MACH IC's?
Without knowing much about the Afterburner: Are you sure that there actually is a programming header?

Afaik, the AB uses several MACH210 PLDs which cannot be programmed "in system" via a programming header. I.e., you need to desolder the CPLDs and stick them in a suitable programmer. (Sidenote: The common TL866 cannot read MACH210.) Furthermore, I expect the read protection to be enabled, so, even you desoldered the ICs and found a suitable programmer, you would only read gibberish.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I'm quite sure that there isn't any programming headers on the AB.
Jo Even

gstoll
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by gstoll »

francouai wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm Magic Milan is the same running on the Falcon 060?
MagiC Milan don't work on a Falcon 060, because it use a structure from the Milan TOS which is not present in TOS 4.04.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

joska wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm I'm quite sure that there isn't any programming headers on the AB.
What's the non expansion header for?
Logic analysis only?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2MHln ... p=drivesdk
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Not sure which one you refer to. My AB has the following headers/connectors:

- Pass-through for the Falcon expansion bus.
- AB expansion which seems to be a 32 bit bus.
- Connector for the various motherboard patch wires.
- A small jumper block which IIRC has something to do with RAM configuration (not touched by me in 25 years).

Edit: Are you referring to the connector at the top left? That's for the motherboard patch wires.
Jo Even

Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Yes! Never knew about that. So it's basically an undocumented (I've never read about it anyway) connection to the 32bit bus?
Lost realization there for sure.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Vantis MACHXL 2.1 legacy link DL.
http://noel.feld.cvut.cz/hw/amd/mxl21sw_.html
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

On my Milan, I use Papyrus, and a lot AFTP.
Also, doing some tests with Texel.
OS is magic Milan+NVDI. For network connections I installed magxnet and gluestik.
Connection to the www gives now a lot of issues. Fifteen years ago, it was still doable.

It' really a nice machine. I use it with the resolution 1152x864/265
The limitation is the CRT 17" monitor.

Return to “Hades / Milan”