any one use both Atari and Amiga

Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

any one use both Atari and Amiga

Post by fragedthewife »

I have sourced an Amiga and I honesty know very little about them. Back in the day most people I new had an Atari as the Amiga
was just so expensive when launched.

Absolutely love my Atari and I have it working just the way I like it.

So this Amiga I have got I need to find more information about them, what would be the most popular forum to recommend for some advice.

Thank you.
Frank B
Atari God
Atari God

Re: any one use both Atari and Amiga

Post by Frank B »

EAB http://eab.abime.net/search.php?searchid=4458086 is the best Amiga forum.
I own and like both Atari and Amiga computers. Where are you based?
Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Hazzardus »

Frank B wrote:EAB http://eab.abime.net/search.php?searchid=4458086 is the best Amiga forum.
I own and like both Atari and Amiga computers. Where are you based?
Yeah, EAB is the best.

http://www.amigaforum.de/ is good too if you understand German, and Lemon Amiga is good if you want to get into WHDLoad / Gaming:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/

http://www.amiga.org/forums/ is another one, but they have never been very helpful to me.

Enjoy your Amiga!

Edit: Also which Amiga did you get? I used to tinker on my friends original A500, then I had friends that had the A600, and it was like the STFM/STE all over again. I never bought an Amiga til 2001 myself, and the first Amiga I got was a CDTV with the keyboard, mouse, controller and disk drive addon on eBay for £30 with Xenon 2 CDTV version. (Remember when eBay used to be cheap for old computers 8) ) Didn't get my second Amiga (1200) til 2006, then didn't upgrade it with CF til about 3-4 years ago.

They are great machines for what they cost at the time, and in a lot of ways they were far better than ST's, (in other ways they were worse though).

I love both of them, but I will admit that I used to be an ST fanboy, but also used to be jealous of both the support the Amiga got, and also it's stock capabilities. The STE was a joke as far as taking advantage of the extra hardware for most software, because everyone owned an STFM, so there was next to nothing for the STE. And it broke stuff that worked fine on the STFM, same as the A600 vs the A500.
Own: Wood grain 2600, Atari 800, 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)
My first Mac was Spectre GCR on a 1040STFM with an SM124 and 30MB third party HDD :D
fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by fragedthewife »

I'm Nr Edinburgh :)

I seen an A600 local and decided to buy it up, I read as much as it can take a direct CF card inside which will run all the games and demos i need.
also to upgrade the memory is just a plug in card.

Other than this I know very little.

So Quite looking forward to learning about the Amiga.
I'm going to pop onto e-bay and buy a CF adapter and 4GB card.
EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by EmpireAndrew »

I have an Amiga 500.
As others have said, in some ways better than an ST with a few more colours on screen, better sound in some games, smoother scrolling sometimes.
It's easier to pull apart to work on too.

But in other ways, not as good. I don't like Workbench to look at, I find it less stable (inevitable due to multi tasking and no memory protection in hardware) and the ST's high res mode is far nicer for using the machine for real work. ST boots to desktop faster too. I also don't like having a massive external power brick and maybe it's the lack of the PSU being in the machine, but it feels lightweight and flimsy. Certainly the casing feels more brittle to me.

But if the ST didn't exist back in the day, or if I'd chosen the Amiga (I chose the ST over it) I'd have been really happy with it I'm sure.

People like to have a definitive answer to "which is better" but that's completely impossible for computers just as with any other product in the world, it depends what you intend to do with it...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 8GB HDD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation, PDA's and more!
fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by fragedthewife »

I have now placed an order for a CF adapter and combined card which is fully loaded ready to go.
I also ordered those mouse adapters which fit both ST and Amiga using a PS2 type mouse.
Been told I need more memory for the CF card to run the Work bench and WHD load ?

Not sure how my ST feels being sat next to an A600 , if size matters then I'm sure it will be okay :)
LordJenkins
Atarian
Atarian

Post by LordJenkins »

I remember that when I was a child, we had both Atari and Amiga... But it felt like, you know, mixing Pepsi with Coke. :P So we got rid of Atari (it was older) and Amiga became my first gaming love.

I only had Amiga 500 Plus - but I don't own it anymore. So... If you would have to recommend a similar experience - should I buy an old Amiga 500 Plus or something different, but better?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Hazzardus

Post by Hazzardus »

LordJenkins wrote:I remember that when I was a child, we had both Atari and Amiga... But it felt like, you know, mixing Pepsi with Coke. :P So we got rid of Atari (it was older) and Amiga became my first gaming love.

I only had Amiga 500 Plus - but I don't own it anymore. So... If you would have to recommend a similar experience - should I buy an old Amiga 500 Plus or something different, but better?

Get an 1200.
Own: Wood grain 2600, Atari 800, 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)
My first Mac was Spectre GCR on a 1040STFM with an SM124 and 30MB third party HDD :D
Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Zarchos »

Get a TF accelerator board ;-)
Falcon, Atari 1040 STE, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amigas, Archimedes, RISC PCs, Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QLs inc. Q68, and more !
2200 m2 museum on its way https://youtu.be/xjB6_Ez-3BA
Shorter video here : https://youtu.be/UEZisfkcN1Y

Currently porting SOTB to the Archie : https://www.youtube.com/user/Archimedes75009/featured
grobda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by grobda »

LordJenkins wrote:I remember that when I was a child, we had both Atari and Amiga... But it felt like, you know, mixing Pepsi with Coke. :P So we got rid of Atari (it was older) and Amiga became my first gaming love.

for cheap fun with simple single/double disk games an a500 with a gotek drive and a 1/2 meg memory upgrade gives the most bang-per-buck. I wouldn't bother with an a500+ as kickstart 2 has problems with a lot of games.

for more complex multi-disk games an a600 or a1200 with extra memory (4mb+) and installing games using whdload is more convenient, but also significantly more expensive. an a600 with a 4mb ram upgrade is the cheapest option that will run most stuff ok on whd load.

or just get winuae.
dempseydiscus
Atarian
Atarian

Post by dempseydiscus »

I had Amiga back in the day - first a 500 and later a 1200, I was very happy with both of them. Just recently I got an Atari 1040 STE and I had absolutely no experience with an Atari before that and I am very happy with it. I would say though, that all in all the Amiga comes out on top - it's things like the Atari's TOS/GEM that although boots faster to this environment, have no tools builtin - like being able to partition a hard drive, use a command line interpreter (DOS or in Amiga "language" the CLI) and so on. Also the fact, that the size of the hard disk partitions can only be 512MB big - so you end up with a lot of 'drives' - I am using TOS 1.62 and I know that some things maybe can be done to increase that size somewhat. If you look at the Amiga I will agree the workbench is slow but add an acceleratorcard with some ram and you are in business - I myself quickly got an ACA 1233n with 128MB ram and a 68030 40mhz chip - I have also the 'luxury' of having a CF card of 15 GB, so I have 1 partition sized 512MB and the rest 14.5 GB is one other big partition. I once heard someone say that the Atari was just a crappy Amiga and this is by far NOT true - there are some things that are better on the Atari - the speed for one thing, out of the box if you come from an Amiga and play a game like Bionic Commando (yes it's a crappy conversion I know) - but this is actually faster on the Atari and plays better with the same graphics. I wont mention the MIDI ports as an advantage as I take it - most of us back then weren't musicians, we were gamers so the MIDI ports would not have men't anything to me. One of my favorite games on the Amiga (actually the reason I got an Amiga in the first place) -was Defender of the Crown, and that actually also plays well on the Atari, although the graphics are nice on the Amiga. Anyway, if I had gotten an Atari ST back in the day, I would have been very happy about it and actually there a lot of games that mostly plays the same on both systems more or less.
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

I got my first ST in May 1990 and upgraded to an STE in September 1991. I got an A500 in 1992 for games and demos and an A1200 in 1994. I used the Amiga for games, demos and even upgraded it to use an A570 CD ROM. My A1200 was very cheap because I got it when Clydesdale were closing their shops. I exchanged the A570 for a Squirrel CDROM but sold the Squirrel CDROM in favour of a 60Mb hard disk when I got my first PC in 1995.

More people at school and college had Amigas at the time. I enjoy using both but the ST and Amiga but the ST is more accessible and fun to program for me. The Atari ST emulators also seem to be a lot more user friendly than WinUAE.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

Never had Amiga in 90's. Now after years I use very often WinUAE's debugger for analysing different 68000 code.
Amiga has several advantages, several disadvantages. In general it's quite nice piece of hardware, but not as sexy as Atari.

Also, C64 is nice piece of hardware (static RAM chip in 1983!) and compared to 8bit Atari has its pros and cons. I like it.

If I had choose one hardware from C=, I would buy C64 Breadbin (and actually I'm going to buy one), Amiga is out of my scope.
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”