All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Galvez, Moderator Team

Patrice Mandin
Atari User
Atari User

Doom 0.59

Post by Patrice Mandin »

Hello,

For the latest 0.59 version of Doom, I also made a native Coldfire build, that is a bit faster than the m68k version.
As usual, it is available on my website.
Linux and Atari coder
Development tools, games
litoskin
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Doom 0.59

Post by litoskin »

Unfortuntely i'm not able to play Doom o.59 on my Firebee
i downloaded the pmdoom-0.59.2-cf file on (fire bee version on your site) i put it on a sd card as i have done with other games like Elansar and i click to the doom.ttp icon but a screen appear with parameter for doom.ttp i don't write anything on it (i don't know what to write) and i click ok.
Then a black screen appear with written Error: W_initfiles: no files found press a key to exit :(
What i'm doing wrong ? Sorry i'm very abecedarian on Firebbe and Tos machines in general ,if you can please explain the solution in the simplest way :lol: !!
Atari Stock Falcon,Atari Falcon CT60,Atari Mega ST1,Firebee,Atari Jaguar/2600/5200/7800/LYNX/XE/XL,Atari Jaguar VR,Nuon.
Do The Math !!
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

litoskin wrote:What i'm doing wrong ? Sorry i'm very abecedarian on Firebbe and Tos machines in general ,if you can please explain the solution in the simplest way :lol: !!
You need the game files (iwad files). Those can't be released since they are not free. The Doom Shareware is a good start and pretty easy to find on the web. The same goes for any system, by the way.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

litoskin wrote:What i'm doing wrong ? Sorry i'm very abecedarian on Firebbe and Tos machines in general ,if you can please explain the solution in the simplest way :lol: !!
You need the game files (iwad files). Those can't be released since they are not free. The Doom Shareware is a good start and pretty easy to find on the web. The same goes for any system, by the way.
jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jvas »

I've just tried the build 60 on the FireBee and it works great! But only in a GEM window. Should it work with SDL_VIDEODRIVER set to XBIOS? I couldn't make it to work that way.... There is no picture (I see the desktop), but I can hear the demo playing....
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

jvas wrote:I've just tried the build 60 on the FireBee and it works great! But only in a GEM window. Should it work with SDL_VIDEODRIVER set to XBIOS? I couldn't make it to work that way.... There is no picture (I see the desktop), but I can hear the demo playing....
On the FIreBee, SDL_VIDEODRIVER must be set to gem (or even vdi?). This version indeed runs great, and a fair bit faster in fullscreen -- which isn't really fullscreen. Did you try Alt+Return? This should let you switch between windowed mode and fullscreen.
jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jvas »

Not yet. Will try and let you know.
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

jvas wrote:Should it work with SDL_VIDEODRIVER set to XBIOS? I couldn't make it to work that way.... There is no picture (I see the desktop), but I can hear the demo playing....
I never managed to run PmDoom in XBIOS fullscreen mode with FireTOS.

OTOH, it works with EmuTOS.
But you need to add "-bpp 16" to see something on the screen (due to palette trouble), and even with that, the picture is compressed on the top of the screen due to FPGA bugs.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Replace Atari STE ROMs with EEPROMs.
jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jvas »

jfl wrote:
jvas wrote:I've just tried the build 60 on the FireBee and it works great! But only in a GEM window. Should it work with SDL_VIDEODRIVER set to XBIOS? I couldn't make it to work that way.... There is no picture (I see the desktop), but I can hear the demo playing....
On the FIreBee, SDL_VIDEODRIVER must be set to gem (or even vdi?). This version indeed runs great, and a fair bit faster in fullscreen -- which isn't really fullscreen. Did you try Alt+Return? This should let you switch between windowed mode and fullscreen.
I did try it. Same small game screen in a black background :(
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

jvas wrote:I did try it. Same small game screen in a black background :(
Yes, that's why I wrote that the fullscreen mode wasn't really fullscreen. It's all you can have on the 'Bee right now (see BlankVector's post above).
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by vido »

If you want bigger screen for parameters at the beginning type "-width 480 -height 320" or the values you want. I find that size playable.
AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by AtariCrypt »

Patrice - thank you!!
I've just downloaded and have Doom running on my Aranym / MyAES setup on the MacBook.
Brilliant STuff - please keep the updates coming :cheers:
Steve
AtariCrypt game website
https://ataricrypt.blogspot.com

Return to “FireBee”