Configure Aranym like new firebee OS?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

simonsunnyboy

Re: Configure Aranym like new firebee OS?

Post by simonsunnyboy »

[ProToS] wrote:
lschafroth wrote: UPDATE: There was no emutos-aranym.img file in any of the downloads so I downloaded etos512.img and renamed it and that seemed to work. I do not get the nice blue desktop I see everyone posting. I get a more generic green looking desktop. I'm much closer than before. I did a bridged top0 in Windows 7 and the networking works! now I just need to do some tweaking to get the look that everyone else is posting.
dit you read the readme.txt in the wallpaper folder ?
A very interesting feature of XaAES. Is this available in older versions aswell? I'd like to give my Falcon a wallpaper but this has more dated version of FreeMinT and XaAES, from 2005 or so, 1.16 alpha with XaAES version number 0.98 something.

For Aranym it worked well here although I didn't use a Firebee picture.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

[ProToS] wrote:you need to edit the config file with the correct path for your install (emutos, img etc ...)

what is your aranym setup ?

one example

Code: Select all

c:/aranym
             /sys             <--- tos emutos config
             /aranym          <--- aranym exe and dll
             /harddrive       <--- disk img and host folder
   start.bat               
Edit: to late =)
there has never been a goog guide on setting up Aranym so I like the layout or folder structure you showed as an example. I will change mine to have that structure to keep things simple.
I changed to Thing 1.29 but all the menu items are in german. I changed to Thing 1.27 and I can choose backgrounds. Now I just need to find the nice blue one everyone is using.

I'm getting closer.
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

here we go!

thank you everyone for your help. I'm such a newbie when it comes to Aranym and there ha snever been any good documentation on how to use it and the lack of Mint and Atari knowledge added to the confusion for me. :) Looks good and browsing the internet with it! yes!
I found the emutos-aranym file on sourceforge. I was using the normal etus512k.img but thought I'd better switch to the one optimized for aranym.
I use the aranymjit version at full screen with 1280x720 on my computer and it works very well. Pretty fast. Does aranym take advantage of opengl or should I leave it as it is.
Now its time to start learning Mint and this whole Atari setup. the most advanced setup I ever had with a real Mega STE was Jinne and the hard drive controller died a few weeks after getting it installed so I never learned any advanced desktops for Atari.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I am posting this reply usg MacAranym 0.9.14 runningo SnowLeopard 10.8.2 on a MacBook pro 15".

Using netsurf. Works much faster on Windows 7 but still functioning just fine on the Mac as well.

Great work and thank you to everyone for helping me get this far.

Lannie
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Great that you got it going.
lschafroth wrote:I changed to Thing 1.29 but all the menu items are in german. I changed to Thing 1.27 and I can choose backgrounds. Now I just need to find the nice blue one everyone is using.
Are you using the THING! background or XaAES background?
The XaAES background uses true colours while IIRC the THING! background only 256 colours (due to XIMG format).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

wongck wrote:Great that you got it going.
lschafroth wrote:I changed to Thing 1.29 but all the menu items are in german. I changed to Thing 1.27 and I can choose backgrounds. Now I just need to find the nice blue one everyone is using.
Are you using the THING! background or XaAES background?
The XaAES background uses true colours while IIRC the THING! background only 256 colours (due to XIMG format).
I'm using the XaAES background. I loaded zView and did a full screen. I then hit the key combination to save the viewed image as a background.

Lannie
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

lschafroth wrote:I found the emutos-aranym file on sourceforge. I was using the normal etus512k.img but thought I'd better switch to the one optimized for aranym.
The only differences between these two images (for EmuTOS v0.9.0 released last Thursday) is that Aranym version:
- has no support for ACSI HD drives (as Aranym doesn't emulate them)
- it's built for 68040 (which Aranym emulates) instead of 68000

As EmuTOS is mainly used just for booting the Aranym setup after which MiNT replaces EmuTOS GEMDOS (and some X/BIOS?) routines, fVDI its VDI routines and XaAES its AES routines, I'm pretty sure nobody's able to notice the difference.

EDIT: unable -> able
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

The next step is to find the most up to date programs for general use.
I saw the Essentials email list but it doesnt show MyMail which I've seen people talking about here.
Just wondered what the Firebee users were using for these types of programs.

email with imap/pop3 support
Word processing
ftp
play avi/wmv and other movie files
play audio files
zip/unzip/rar
m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by m0n0 »

email with imap/pop3 support
Uhm... I'm still hoping the developer of ASH Emailer will publish his source Hard Disk... (he already agreed to publish it,...).
Draconis Mailer was build for Coldfire, but the current build is shitty. So I'm using latest development snapshots of netsurf when I really need to access my imap / pop3 accounts. (Via Webmail).
Word processing
Hm, I use QED ;)
ftp
Litchi!
(The Draconis FTP tool for Coldfire is still not 100% Clean,.... *maybe* fault of AHCC).
play avi/wmv and other movie files
I hear aniplayer does a good job... but I never tested it.
play audio files
mxplay.
zip/unzip/rar
I use the commandline for these kind of tools. Then there is LHARC (+GUI) which is an pretty fine tool for Atari.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Take a look at AF Wiki, may be you see one or two apps.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I found most of the software except aniplayer. I go to his site and there is no download link on the site. Any idea where I can download aniplayer?

Lannie
[ProToS]

Post by [ProToS] »

SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

thank you!

Lannie
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

Thanks for the work you did to get this done for us. You made the news page on acp.atari.org. :)

good job!
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

Is anyone still using this setup with the most modern apps they can get to run on it?
I never got much to work so it was set aside.

Lannie

Return to “Other emulators & tools”