Configure Aranym like new firebee OS?

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Configure Aranym like new firebee OS?

Post by lschafroth »

Has anyone used Aranym or Hatari to setup FreeMint, XaAES with NVDI5 and the three desktops of choice like the Firebee has?

It would be nice to see what the firebee is capable of as a modern desktop OS even if we cant afford the firebee. We could at least run the same or at least very similar desktop setup as the real thing.

This would include Netsurf , zview, and etc.

Just curious if it can be done or a guide be put together to get as close as we can.

Lannie
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Configure Aranym like new firebee OS?

Post by joska »

You can download the setup from here and replace the ColdFire-binaries (MiNT kernel and modules, NetSurf, AHCC, Teradesk...) with binaries suitable for ARAnyM and give it a try. Don't know anything about networking under ARAnyM, so I can't help there.

I can't remember if I compiled the setup-tools for ColdFire only or ColdFire+68k. Please try it and let me know if they crash. If they do I will recompile them. The screenmode selector will not work on anything else than FireTOS and maybe the Milan as it depends on FireTOS/MilanTOS features.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I was able to install the AFROS from the aranym which uses FreeMint and XeaAES but it hasent been updated for a LONG time. I cannot get it to run in different resolutions.

If I download the one from the link you gave me where would I get the replacement files from and which ones need replaced? I have never worked with FreeMint so all of this is new.

There is a way to enable bridged networking in Aranym with the MAC version I am using. The last time I tested it, it worked fine but I didnt have a good operating system installed under it and any browsers to test.

Lannie
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I found http://atarirevival.blogspot.com/ and was able to get a current install up and running. I will mess with the networking and see if I can get that part working.

Lannie
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I have it running but the keyboard does not work correctly. When I type a "Q" the "a" key shows up. several keys do not work properly. I have no idea how to get it to work fine. I cannot do any testing since I cannot type correctly.

Lannie
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

You have a french keyboard layout. Did you use files from the Minipack? If so, take a look in your MiNT-folder (probably c:\mint\1-18-cur\ or similar) and see if there's a file keyboard.tbl. Delete or rename this and reboot. You should now have the default TOS keyboard layout.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

joska wrote:You have a french keyboard layout. Did you use files from the Minipack? If so, take a look in your MiNT-folder (probably c:\mint\1-18-cur\ or similar) and see if there's a file keyboard.tbl. Delete or rename this and reboot. You should now have the default TOS keyboard layout.
ah!! I never thought of that. I will do that today and give it a shot. Is there a way to increase the screen resolution in Aranym? Are there any ping or traceroute type of commands in mint or a cli to use for network testing?

Lannie
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Yes, there are ping etc for MiNT, but I don't know what you get with AFROS. You can download these tools from sparemint.atariforge.net.

Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with ARAnyM and don't know how to select resolution. You will normally use fVDI, when I used fVDI with my Falcon/Eclipse the resolution was specified in fvdi.sys. Maybe this is the case with ARAnyM as well?
Jo Even

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

It shows I have to edit the C:\etc\resolv.conf file in Aranym. That folder does not exist.
If I try and create the folder it says it already exists. I set to show hidden files and folders and the etc folder does not show anywhere.

I wish there was a console or command line in Mint so I can browse around that way.

Lannie
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

The miniPack does not appear to be a real FreeMint install. When I run the AFROS version the mint folder structure is what you would expect. I was able to edit the fvdi.sys and change the screen resolution. I was able to edit the resolv.conf and get to the internet! Now I need to install/upgrade the XaAeas to the latest version and FreeMint to the latest.

I'm slowly figuring it out. I wish the miniPack was a real min configuraiton so we would already have a up to date freemint/XaAeas setup. I will get there somehow.

This is a step in the right direction!

Lannie
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

You can have a read at this to give you some pointers on upgrading Mint.
Granted that it assumes you have a EXT2FS and did followed some of the step earlier in the installation tutorial.
So some stuff may not be where they are, depending on how you setup But the basic steps are there.

https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... ading-mint
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I will give that a try. this is the AFROS setup from the Aranym site so I did not install any of it. It is all installed for you.

Lannie
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

lschafroth wrote:I wish there was a console or command line in Mint so I can browse around that way.
There is. You can run bash, tcsh, sh or any other shells. This is provided that TOSWIN is configured, so that these shell runs in a window.

You can also configure Mint to run without AES at start up and runs a shell instead.
This way, you do not get a desktop but you still can invoke Xaaes from the command line and get a desktop when you need one.
I did this several years back, but not sure if it is possible now with the latest version of Xaaes.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

lschafroth wrote:I will give that a try. this is the AFROS setup from the Aranym site so I did not install any of it. It is all installed for you.
Use the link for information and ideas.
Don't blindly follow it, but most of the steps will be relevant.
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

Here are the versions the current setup has:
XaAES 0.998 Alpha
Mint 1-17-cur (a folder under mint named that)

When I run NetSurf 2.9 and try to browse the internet I get socket is not connected error. Highwire works.

Lannie
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

lschafroth wrote:I'm slowly figuring it out. I wish the miniPack was a real min configuraiton so we would already have a up to date freemint/XaAeas setup. I will get there somehow.
I think it is a real Mint/Xaaes min configuration. It already does networking etc.
It's also the stable release version of Mint/XaAes.
The v1.18 is a test release, many ppl use it though.

What it is not... a sparemint configuration. Is that what you are looking for?
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I'm not sure what I want. I want it to be as close to the Firebee as I can get it. The most recent programs with internet capabilities to run on it.
I see the nice looking graphical display on the firebee screenshots but this setup doesnt look anywhere as close to that. Doesnt look as polished.

Lannie

PS I guess I'm looking for suggestions to get what I need to have the most up to date internet capable OS for Atari.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

lschafroth wrote:I'm not sure what I want. I want it to be as close to the Firebee as I can get it. The most recent programs with internet capabilities to run on it.
I see the nice looking graphical display on the firebee screenshots but this setup doesnt look anywhere as close to that. Doesnt look as polished.
I am not sure if the FireBee is using Mint v1,18 or v1,17, I don't have a FB.
But if you want a wall paper, it is using Mint v1.18.
So go ahead and upgrade it.

You will need the 040 build of the Mint package. I think Aranym does not do 060 codes. There are special Aranym builds but I am not sure where they are.
If you follow my tutorials, just replace 1.17 with 1.18 and you should be fine. Step 5 is questionable (you may not need it).
If I am not wrong, you can make a backup of the disk file, in case you mess something up, and easily recover from it.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

wongck wrote:I am not sure if the FireBee is using Mint v1,18 or v1,17, I don't have a FB.
FireBee needs 1.18, as previous versions of MiNT are not adapted for the FireBee.
wongck wrote:But if you want a wall paper, it is using Mint v1.18.
So go ahead and upgrade it.
Correct. Download the daily build and replace the MiNT/XaAES binaries (including resource files and loadable modules!) with these new ones. You need the "mintara.prg" kernel and the 040 XaAES kernel module.
Jo Even

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

lschafroth wrote:Has anyone used Aranym or Hatari to setup FreeMint, XaAES with NVDI5 and the three desktops of choice like the Firebee has?
Aranym is better alternative for running MiNT than Hatari because Aranym allows using host directories under MiNT whereas with Hatari one can use only hard disk images. Dealing with hard disk images when trying to put together a working config is very awkward.

There are also ready-made Aranym MiNT configurations that take full usage of Aranym's NatFEATs interfaces. Because Hatari doesn't support Aranym's NatFEATs features, Aranym MiNT configurations don't work with Hatari (or on real Atari machines) even when copied to a hard disk image.
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I tried to use the upgrade guide. There is no mint.prg or anything like that in C:\auto

There is mint.org in the System folder within the macaranym folder. It also has etos512k.img in it.

I copied the mint folder and all the other folders that came with the download. I get the following error at boot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

it appears the setup I have is nowhere close to what everyone else is using. I'm lost.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

You should have kept your old mint.cnf. There is no active GEM or INIT setting in the sample config-file.
Jo Even

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

I will copy the old one back and see what happens.

Lannie
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

The 1.18-cur directory is empty. the only thing in that build is the xaeas folder under it.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until someone makes a modern up to date version for aranym. The directory structure on the aranym setup I have is nowhere close to any guide I have found for freemint.

Anyone willing to fire up aranym and figure out how to build a complete image for me?

Lannie

Return to “Other emulators & tools”