copying applications to nostalgia

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Obineg
Atarian
Atarian

copying applications to nostalgia

Post by Obineg »

ahoy,

not sure if that is the best section for this question.

i need to be able to:

- run a program for atari in MacOS9, in order to get rid of the atari hardware

we have the following tools available:

- atari MEGA STE4

- computers with windows 10/64

- computers with MacOS9 and MacOSX PCC and intel

- an external USB floppy drive, which works under all win and mac os´es but does not read 700k floppies

- a legit installer disk of the atari software, and an already installed copy of the program running on the STE. i have a serial number, but the company is long dead.

the aim is:

- running that program under NoSTaliga in Mac OS 9 (already installed and running.)

what i dont know is, is how the copy protection of that atari floppy actually works. i have note used the ataris since 23 years ans know almost nothing about them.

the STE can read both 700 and 1400 disks.

so the first thing i probably needed is an atari program which can copy that floppy onto a 1.4 mb floppy. then i will try to install it from there to the atari, and if that works, i will try it in the emulator.

so how do you make 1:1 disk images and how do you copy disks under TOS 2?
thesofa2
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: copying applications to nostalgia

Post by thesofa2 »

First of all insert a blank 1.44 MB disc in the drive in STE and format it to 1.44 MB using the format option, Then try putting the disk you want to copy into disc drive on STE.
Then grab the drive A: icon and drag it to drive B: on the desktop, when it asks for DISC B:, eject the disc in the floppy disc drive and insert the formatted 1.44MB disc in the floppy drive and click OK.
Repeat the disc swaps until the copy is finished.
Then eject the 1,44 MB disc from STE and try in the MAC.
TT030 with Storm with 256 Mb Ram, Thunder with a CF drive and Lightning, HxC floppy emulator and one of Codekiller's magical Mono/Colour switchers, 1040 STE, upgraded to 4 MB and fitted with switchable dual TOS, also 3 STS one has TOS1.0 AND 2.06 switchable with an HD drive, the other two are untested as yet, just bought for spares!!
Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Zorro 2 »

Hi!

Maybe you can find a solution with this [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCszyYCAEgE]video[/youtube].

Cheers
.~^ Member of NoExtra Team :: Member of HMD :: Pouet :: DemoZoo :: T-shirt Sponsor ^~.
Obineg
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Obineg »

i wasnt aware that you can copy volumes like that on an atari. it is long ago that i turned them on. will check this out tomorrow and report.
Last edited by Obineg on Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obineg
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Obineg »

so, thanks again for your description.

after weeks of delaying the project i have finally unpacked and cleaned my STE in december - only to fond out that obviously both the internal HD and the floppy drive do no longer work. :(

the HD is completely dead incluing the status LED - maybe it is only the PSU.

the floppy drive make noise but doent spin disks after insertion.

eventually one of my vintage macs can still read 700k disks, other than that i am clueless.
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

You should use FastCopy program to copy protected floppy disks but I think that your idea is to make exact image of Atari protected disk, then transfer disk image to Mac running Atari emulator, and then inside emulator read that image and install software from it?

If this is the case, you should use JayMSA software to create image from protected disk.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Return to “Other emulators & tools”