The X68000 games porting experiment

All 680x0 related coding posts in this section please.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Eero Tamminen »

If all the libc / OS functions are used only at game start, I don't see how MiNT could make the game play faster. Multitasking definitely doesn't make it faster. :-)

User avatar
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2470
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Greece

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by christos »

I think the 060 issue has to do with the 060 caches. Are they off in TOS?

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by ctirad »

Most probably he has CPU cache set to "delayed" in the CT6x CPX configuration. The Mint just reanables it, but TOS doesn't. This is a common misconfiguration.

User avatar
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:33 am

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by dml »

Anima wrote:...The compiler knows that the register holds the constant value $eb8000 and so the optimisation is completely legal. Using a different address in D4 which is not aligned at 256 bytes will result in corrupted sprites. So I just replaced that instruction with a simple "clr.b" to fix it. :twisted:
Thanks for explaining your fun with that - keep the bits and pieces flowing :)

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

Here's a new test release of Cho Ren Sha for the Atari Falcon 030. It's still not optimized in any way and even slower than the last one but I would like to see some numbers (or videos) running it on MC68060 machines again. ;)

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by EvilFranky »

I'll try and give it a go later mate

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 4628
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by joska »

This is not the Fast-RAM friendly version, right? Because it exits immediately with a "Can't allocate memory" on my Falcon/AB.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

joska wrote:This is not the Fast-RAM friendly version, right? Because it exits immediately with a "Can't allocate memory" on my Falcon/AB.
Yes, it's still not optimal for accelerated machines. ChoRenSha uses an own malloc functionality and requests memory chunks from right above the program end address. So what I need to do is to check the maximum size of this area for a proper use of Mshrink. Then I can use Mxalloc to reserve ST-RAM for sound and graphics and copy the sample data / screen buffer to it.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Poland

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by jury »

Anima wrote:Here's a new test release of Cho Ren Sha for the Atari Falcon 030. It's still not optimized in any way and even slower than the last one but I would like to see some numbers (or videos) running it on MC68060 machines again. ;)
No video ( I will try to do one later, but the chances I will success are rather close to zero ;) ) but I have tried this version and it seems quite few times slower the the version I tried last time ( the one from 24th Oct )
Test machine: F030 + CT63 ( @95MHz ) + SV

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

jury wrote:No video ( I will try to do one later, but the chances I will success are rather close to zero ;) ) but I have tried this version and it seems quite few times slower the the version I tried last time ( its the one from 24th Oct )
Machine tested: F030 + CT63 ( @95MHz ) + SV
Thanks. Ok, so there's no need to record a video. Actually I am preparing a version which will run in Fast-RAM. Every other approach seems to be useless.

cafealpha
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:11 am

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by cafealpha »

Hello Anima, your portage of Cho Ren Sha really looks great !
I don't own any Atari Falcon to test it, but the youtube videos I can see about it are really stunning.
It doesn't seems that original sources of this game are available, so does it means you wrote this Atari version from scratch ??

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

cafealpha wrote:It doesn't seems that original sources of this game are available, so does it means you wrote this Atari version from scratch ??
Well, it's more like a disassembled original game with some emulation routines added to it.

cafealpha
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:11 am

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by cafealpha »

Anima wrote:Well, it's more like a disassembled original game with some emulation routines added to it.
Oh I see, thank you for the informations !
So there is definitely no sources available for this game ... too bad it can't be easily ported on other platform.
Please keep the good work on Atari :)

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

Short update: a first test version now works on ARAnyM JIT. I just wanted to check out the compatibility of the main game code utilising Fast-RAM for the accelerated machine targets.

CiH
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: Middle Earth (Npton) UK
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by CiH »

Short update: a first test version now works on ARAnyM JIT. I just wanted to check out the compatibility of the main game code utilising Fast-RAM for the accelerated machine targets.
Bloody hell, that's just about finished! :cheers:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by EvilFranky »

Anima wrote:Short update: a first test version now works on ARAnyM JIT. I just wanted to check out the compatibility of the main game code utilising Fast-RAM for the accelerated machine targets.
Incredible.

Can you give some details as to the progress you have made since the last video? Is that still 8bpp?? Looks a lot more.


User avatar
NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by NGF »

Very nice! Is that new backgrounds you have made?
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

User avatar
qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:15 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by qq1975b »

Looks great! :thumbs:
Trying to learn...

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

EvilFranky wrote:Can you give some details as to the progress you have made since the last video? Is that still 8bpp?? Looks a lot more.
The recent improvements were mostly code changes for accelerated machines. Especially utilising the Fast-RAM was an important goal. Unfortunately I have no real hardware to test this feature so I was trying it on ARAnyM. Hope that the result will work on MC68060 powered machines as well.

The current port for the Atari Falcon030 still uses the direct colour mode. A bitmap mode was never implemented at all yet. Also there are some things which makes using a bitmap sprite engine quite difficult.
NGF wrote:Very nice! Is that new backgrounds you have made?
It's a background I've found in the Internet. I have chosen it instead of the original because I think it's quite annoying.

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by EvilFranky »

Anima wrote:
EvilFranky wrote:Can you give some details as to the progress you have made since the last video? Is that still 8bpp?? Looks a lot more.
The recent improvements were mostly code changes for accelerated machines. Especially utilising the Fast-RAM was an important goal. Unfortunately I have no real hardware to test this feature so I was trying it on ARAnyM. Hope that the result will work on MC68060 powered machines as well.

The current port for the Atari Falcon030 still uses the direct colour mode. A bitmap mode was never implemented at all yet. Also there are some things which makes using a bitmap sprite engine quite difficult.
NGF wrote:Very nice! Is that new backgrounds you have made?
It's a background I've found in the Internet. I have chosen it instead of the original because I think it's quite annoying.
I have some spare time tomorrow. Is there anything you want testing on a real 68060?

User avatar
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by Anima »

Another update: a new binary of Cho Ren Sha 68k for the Atari Falcon030 is now available for download. Please note: this version is only for fast Falcons like MC68060 powered devices (or the ARAnyM JIT emulator). It uses the Fast-RAM where available and so it should work on machines with 4 MB ST-RAM as well.

Please let me know if you have problems.
EvilFranky wrote:I have some spare time tomorrow. Is there anything you want testing on a real 68060?
Yeah, that would be nice. I would like to know if the program recognises your machine properly and how fast the game runs on it, also if the sound works properly. Thanks in advance! :)

User avatar
NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by NGF »

NGF wrote:Very nice! Is that new backgrounds you have made?
It's a background I've found in the Internet. I have chosen it instead of the original because I think it's quite annoying.
Yes I concur. I didn't like the original backgrounds in the game at all so the background you found improves the game.
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by EvilFranky »

Anima wrote:Another update: a new binary of Cho Ren Sha 68k for the Atari Falcon030 is now available for download. Please note: this version is only for fast Falcons like MC68060 powered devices (or the ARAnyM JIT emulator). It uses the Fast-RAM where available and so it should work on machines with 4 MB ST-RAM as well.

Please let me know if you have problems.
EvilFranky wrote:I have some spare time tomorrow. Is there anything you want testing on a real 68060?
Yeah, that would be nice. I would like to know if the program recognises your machine properly and how fast the game runs on it, also if the sound works properly. Thanks in advance! :)
OK bad news I'm afraid Anima.

I can't get the game to run at all under 68060 mode. I tried like I did when I made that video a couple of weeks ago, so my method hasn't changed.

68060 + MINT = Detected as 060 with FastRAM, hit space then just a black screen.
68060 + TOS = Detected as 060 with FastRAM, hit space then just the background image, nothing else happens.
68030 + TOS = Detected as 030, hit space and the game runs as expected.

I had even hooked the Falcon up to my 55" VT65 Plasma to make a video and give it a 'wow' factor haha :lol:

User avatar
shoggoth
Nature
Nature
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Halmstad, Sweden
Contact:

Re: The X68000 games porting experiment

Post by shoggoth »

A simple way to accelerate this on the SuperVidel would be to just add 0xA000000 to your framebuffer pointer. This means you'll be rendering graphics directly to the snooped STRAM area of the SuperVidel VRAM. Make sure to check for the SupV-cookie first.

You could also switch to 8bb chunky : VsetMode(COL40 | VERTFLAG | VGA | 7);

The superblitter is probably better for bigger sprites / color depths.

EDIT: About 040/060 compatibility... do you flush the caches properly? (On FreeMiNT, I suggest using Ssystem() for that).
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Post Reply

Return to “680x0”