A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.2.1

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

rinaldo
Atariator
Atariator

Modem on Hatari windows 10 64 bit machine

Post by rinaldo »

Hi,

How do I configer a modem on Hatari 2,21 om a windows computer? I want to run a qbbs on it even with The Box or binkley terminal.
Atari hardware avaible, Fidonet programmer of Atari ST IOSMAIL, AREAFIX etc https://www.lampiesoft.nl
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Modem on Hatari windows 10 64 bit machine

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Use WSL1 or WSL2?

Hatari requires devices to be given as files, as is case on Linux, Mac, Android etc. Windows doesn't support that, and nobody's contributed Windows specific "modem" support to Hatari.
rinaldo
Atariator
Atariator

Post by rinaldo »

Hi Eero,

If I understand it wel nobody has written the modem file for a windowss computer. What is WSL1 or 2, if that a dummy?
Atari hardware avaible, Fidonet programmer of Atari ST IOSMAIL, AREAFIX etc https://www.lampiesoft.nl
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

None of Hatari developers has Windows, so any Windows specific functionality & its testing must come from somewhere else. For example, Hatari release binaries for Windows are built on Linux with a cross compiler (mingw) producing Windows binaries, and there are some Hatari Windows users who test them.

WSL = Microsoft's Windows subsystem for Linux. With that, you can run Linux programs under Windows. WSL v1 is Windows subsystem for emulating Linux system calls, v2 is more of a virtual machine. I think latter came because Windows file systems are much slower than Linux ones, and because Windows doesn't have support for control groups that are used to manage containers.

I have no idea how well either of them handles modem pass-through though. And graphics is likely to be not accelerated, or you may need to install (e.g. CygWin) X server on Windows.
rinaldo
Atariator
Atariator

Post by rinaldo »

Eero Tamminen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am None of Hatari developers has Windows, so any Windows specific functionality & its testing must come from somewhere else. For example, Hatari release binaries for Windows are built on Linux with a cross compiler (mingw) producing Windows binaries, and there are some Hatari Windows users who test them.

WSL = Microsoft's Windows subsystem for Linux. With that, you can run Linux programs under Windows. WSL v1 is Windows subsystem for emulating Linux system calls, v2 is more of a virtual machine. I think latter came because Windows file systems are much slower than Linux ones, and because Windows doesn't have support for control groups that are used to manage containers.

I have no idea how well either of them handles modem pass-through though. And graphics is likely to be not accelerated, or you may need to install (e.g. CygWin) X server on Windows.
Thanks Eero for the explanation. I do now STeem but win 10 does not support COM ports anymore and if motherboard supports COM windows has no drivers.

Return to “Hatari”