Automation

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

Grazey / PHF
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Automation

Post by Grazey / PHF »

I'm systematically going through ALL Automation menus ripping music.

Currently I'm working on menus 450-512.... a couple of game do not work (on both Steem and my real STFM) ...

500 F Traders , game loads but it freezes (key presses don't work)
501 Elephant Antics (game does not load) , has this menu been re-released as the game was done on a D-Bug menu.

Cheers
GRZ
gucek
Atarian
Atarian

Post by gucek »

OK. but could you use TOSEC names of those disk? I think this way we could add them to DB as bad dumps...
On the other way if you chcked those imags earlier - maybe they already ARE marked as ...?
I'm creating FULL index of all compilations for Atari ST, so all such info isuseful for me! But only when we think of exactly SAME versions...!!!
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

Hi,

Sorry, no offense against TOSEC, but this way sucks on Atari. TOSEC uses long names for disk-images... ahem, that's not Atari native (only 8+3 caracters). Another point: TOSEC guys are far from being expert about ST compilations.
Grazey: please don't use TOSEC db for Automation disks ;) I will help you to find working disks as soon as I'm back from holidays.
Cu+,

Brume.
Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by Silver Surfer »

I just emailed you a 501 with a working Cj's elephant antics, hope it works for you too! :wink:
Grazey / PHF
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Grazey / PHF »

Thanks Silver Surfer :)

CJ Elephant Antics does indeed work on the version you sent! :) However the menu does not :((

BUT! The with my version the menu works fine! so it will just be a matter of copying my menu over to your version to get a 100% ok disk.

I'm still have doubts whether this was the final version of 501 as CJ Elephant Antics appeared on a D-Bug menu. Vapour re-released all Automation menus which had used other groups cracks when he obtained originals of those games.

GRZ
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

Ok, have taken a look at 500 F... I checked all datas, they are ok. I simply unpacked the main program and... it works! I compared the unpacked program with another source (Now5 #22 which works very well), and it's exaclty the same. So pretty sure Traders doesn't work because of the packer.
Dunno what to do. Do I have to repack the main program with another software? It won't match with the original disk, it's a shame.
God Showaddywaddy, tell us what to do ;)
Cu+

Brume.
Grazey / PHF
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Grazey / PHF »

I'll re-release it!

I'm sure Vaps/the Law won't mind :)

GRZ
gucek
Atarian
Atarian

Post by gucek »

to Brume - from now I will probably maintain Atari ST compilations DB for TOSEC. So I will probably ask sometimes for your help, because I don't feel as a EXPERT in ST compilations. :)
Besides you're wrong about tosec/8.3 name issue. (no offence) ;) Renamed are in this case only msa/st (specificlly .st) images and ZIPfiles they are in. In case of .PRG, etc binaries names are unchanged. Besides - don't expect binaries DB for now... (I think)
Even when you don't plan t rename your files to tosec - it's good way of checking if we talk about same image, if its not bad dump, etc. That's all. Bye.
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

gucek wrote:to Brume - from now I will probably maintain Atari ST compilations DB for TOSEC. So I will probably ask sometimes for your help, because I don't feel as a EXPERT in ST compilations. :)
reading again my previous message, well I must admit it could be considered as pretentious from myself... I'm far to be expert in ST compilations. I just wanted to mention there is some BIG mistakes in Tosec db. SuperGAU & Vectronix aren't compilations, but they are included in Tosec db. LGD disks are another problem. Why include them with regular disks (see Automation menus)? Are they so different? As far as I know, only the bootsector is different. As webmaster of pacigame and pacidemo, I could easily put my own bootsector on each disk ;)
Of course I agree to help you if you need help or information with compilations.
gucek wrote:Besides you're wrong about tosec/8.3 name issue. (no offence) ;) Renamed are in this case only msa/st (specificlly .st) images and ZIPfiles they are in.
Nop, I didn't mention file names. I was speaking about .ST images only. Ok, an example may be better:
- download the full set of Automation disks using TOSEC convention (with long names so). Use PC/MAC/Atari machine, doesn't matter.
- then transfer the disks on you atari machine.
- so you now have something like AU0DA~1.ST, AU4A12~1.ST, AU708C~1.ST... that's not really easy to find which issues are on that disks, don't you agree? Atari ST doesn't recognize long name, that's why I won't use that convention for images. But don't think of me as an integrist, I just want to consider each case of each user ;) Tosec are great for 'emulator' users, but not for 'real machine' users.

Cu soon,

Brume.
Darren Birks
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by Darren Birks »

The only difference between the LGD disks, and the regular Automation disks IS the bootsector.

I made the PC program (by the request of Rich) that installs the modified Medway Boys Anti-Virus v2 onto all disks in one batch. The reason was not just to advertise LGD, but to kill any nasty virus on all disks in once batch job.

I guess that makes me an expert on that subject.

They should NOT be included as seperate items in the database.

Return to “Menu Disks”