Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Re: Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

Post by Brume »

qq1975b wrote:Ok, understood. Sorry.
No problem, any help is welcome :wink:
MagikGimp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by MagikGimp »

The Little Green Desktop CD's PP #3 only has a problem with one of the high score files. As the doc for the checker says- "...it's almost certainly really OK, just different from my copy!" [the Alien's originals]. And I VERY much doubt we'll find one of those!

I'm working through the rest of the disks you listed and will post again soon.
Last edited by MagikGimp on Wed May 06, 2020 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!
MagikGimp

1/2 Disks that can be considered OK?

Post by MagikGimp »

PP 4 - If Sledge had a slightly different version of the file and Alien acknowledged this then that disk is OK, surely?
PP_13_4A_00001.png
PP 22 - The pilot roster is the equivalent of a save file so again I very much doubt an original will be found. These disk images date from 1998.
PP_13_4A_00004.png
PP 38 - See #22 but this time 00,0 is apparently not where this data is stored. Could this be the custom LGD boot sector or whatever?
PP_13_4A_00006.png
PP 45 - See #22. Data stored at 00,0 which seems the more common location.
PP_13_4A_00008.png
PP 64 - "Don't worry about it". Only one file missing of three mentioned. Would be nice to read it though!
PP_13_4A_00014.png
PP 73 - I did this one out of interest and it's another save game data discrepancy. Presumably you didn't get this for your image?
PP_13_4A_00017.png
The other disks (except in those in my 2nd post below) in your list are genuinely bad dumps as far as I can tell. I'm not sure about #61 as the problem is with 00,0. #72 shows a file as bad that's not mentioned in the comments that appear after scan. I don't know if this is also save game data or not.
Is having LGD's custom boot sector (I don't know what the correct term for this is) on these disks a problem? Can they easily be removed if necessary to recreate a pure original? <- IGNORE THIS. Turns out the LGD CD-ROM doesn't have his watermark although I could have sworn it did. Must be the Automation menus?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MagikGimp on Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!
MagikGimp

2/2 Patched disks

Post by MagikGimp »

PP 6 - Complains of having not been patched to include a trainer and about DESKTOP.INF (irrelevant?). When patched still shows this discrepancy. I have attached both images and they are different (intro blurb has changed).
PP_13_4A_00003.png
PP_006_00001.png
PP 27 - One of the disks fixed for STEs but when I attempt the patch it shouts at me! (Attempted on both STFM and STE configs)
PP_13_4A_00005.png
PP_027_00001.png
PP 44 - The fix may be around somewhere but good luck trying to track that ancient relic down, Indy.
PP_13_4A_00007.png
PP 50 - There's a fix which I applied and the disks appear different (checked with Duplicate Cleaner) but it's hard to tell for sure because the comment also mentions saved game / high score data as a discrepancy and the menu bug fix likely won't show in emulation. Please let me know if you want this patched disk if you think it's important!
PP_13_4A_00009.png
PP 53 - A fix that worked. Both images attached. Other discrepancy is high score related.
[TO BE CONTINUED IN 2b. I'm running out of attachments!]

My GOD I appreciate the Alien's attention to detail so much! Love that guy's work. The way he makes his name only to be a transparent layer so it flashes, all the text he changed in the games some of which is quite funny etc. OK so the games the Pirates cracked might not be the best, his scrollers make for pretty dire reading and their focus on presentation meant they never reached triple figures but their output is unmatched in style alone. This is why menus are my go to for the ST. The games themselves really are 2nd fiddle for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MagikGimp

2b

Post by MagikGimp »

[continued]
PP_13_4A_00010.png
PP_053_00001.png
PP 67 - Fix applied. No change in disk checker comment. Images different and attached.
PP_13_4A_00015.png
PP_067_00001.png
sudest
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by sudest »

Hello
How to check for integrity of all this menu ? some doesn't have FIC into the menu ?
My *.st files are from 1994/1998, I can try if needed.

Also, there's that website https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/games/pompy/index.htm
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

There's a tool on Pompey Pirates #13 part IV = Pompey Pirates File Integrity Check.
It can check most of the menus.
sudest
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by sudest »

I had a very quick look (kids ..).
I have a version of menu 73 which pass integrity check

Do you confirm 73 was still an issue?

I'll check for the other one
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

Thanks but #73 isn't in the list of the wrong disks.

Here are the 'corrupted' menus:

- Pompey Pirates #2
- Pompey Pirates #3
- Pompey Pirates #4
- Pompey Pirates #5
- Pompey Pirates #6
- Pompey Pirates #22
- Pompey Pirates #27
- Pompey Pirates #38
- Pompey Pirates #44
- Pompey Pirates #45
- Pompey Pirates #50
- Pompey Pirates #53
- Pompey Pirates #57
- Pompey Pirates #61
- Pompey Pirates #64
- Pompey Pirates #67
- Pompey Pirates #72
matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by matt »

Did you check the Pompey CD I recently shared?

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 48#p405948
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

Hello matt
Yes, have checked your CD-Rom when you posted it.
Same result: same disks are marked as bad by Pompey Pirates File Integrity Check.
The content of that CD-Rom was spread on some FTPs in the 90's if I remember correctly. Alien probably downloaded the image-disks instead of archiving his own collection...I see no other explanation.
matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by matt »

Thanks for the insight! That makes sense.
sudest
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by sudest »

Hi !

While coming here on a regularly basis (once every 3-4 years as an average), let me ask a stupid question:
does checking of disk are done on real atari or on some emulators ?

If it's under emulator, here's my two cents:
The fuzion CD 74 supposed to not work with tos 1.02: it do not run on hatari nor steem.
But, it is working under saint 2.40 (french tos, sorry), I have two "different" versions of this CD (seems to be w/o fuzion boot sector).
Both are working under saint (despite sometime some keyboard issue where I do not get switchblade text cracktro).

If I ran PP checker under saint 2.40, it gives me errors on nearly all files inside menu 2.
Using steem, I just have one error whatever PP2 files I'm using (I got PP number of times from late 90's up to now, dispatched onto my disks in *st, *.msa several times).

Disturbing, hey ?

Edit: attached, fuzion 76 - I didn't renamed them (seems v1/2 reverted).
On stonish it seems this is v2 since monster claims to be debugged and this is not the case for the other disk (supposed the 1st version isn't, that led to another one with debugged version ?).
Screenshots for both disk cracktros.
sudest
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by sudest »

is that guy around here ?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/atari1/index.html

or have been msg'ed for missing/corrupted menus ?
orionfuzion
Atari User
Atari User

Post by orionfuzion »

Hi sudest!
sudest wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:41 pm Edit: attached, fuzion 76 - I didn't renamed them (seems v1/2 reverted).
On stonish it seems this is v2 since monster claims to be debugged and this is not the case for the other disk (supposed the 1st version isn't, that led to another one with debugged version ?).
Screenshots for both disk cracktros.
Fuzion CD 076 (1991)(Fuzion)[a].zip is the original (and hence initial) version of menu #76 and the cracktro/loader of Monster Business has a bug in the trainer options: numbers are entered in decimal and they are passed "as is" (not converted) to the game which expects hexadecimal values.

Fuzion CD 076 (1991)(Fuzion).zip is a second version with a fixed cracktro/loader ("MONSTER BUSINESS DEBUGGED") and working trainer options.

Fuzion is good for you ! ;-)

-- Orion / Fuzion ^ Reps
sudest
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by sudest »

Orion,

Thank you for confirmation/clarification.

It seems that the quality process of Fuzion for crack validation have to be improved .. err .. :cheers:

Thank you for the job you did, 30 years ago (i'm just atari user since 1987).
How are you now ?
orionfuzion
Atari User
Atari User

Post by orionfuzion »

Same for me, got my first Atari ST in 1987 :)
I'm fine and I'm back on the ST keyboard! Did you see my github? https://github.com/orionfuzion
A new crack is in preparation but it's waiting for the cracktro which will be a nice surprise... ;-)

-- Orion / Fuzion ^Reps
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

Couple of questions:
  1. Were the posts I made back in May of any use? I never had any responses back then so I wasn't sure if I was doing everything correctly. Of course everyone had much more pressing issues to deal with during the time of the beginnings of lockdowns and furloughs and such but I would appreciate feedback if anyone has time. Just so I know that checking disks through emulation is actually considered fine, if anything. The majority of the 'corrupted' list don't actually seem to be a problem and I very much doubt the true PP originals will ever be found.
  2. Are there plans to list PD menus on the site? ZeusGB put up a The Source menu the other day but I can't see them here anywhere.

The Source CD 89 - The Source (Atari STe)

YouTube embedding not working? I'll leave this as is in case it's just on my end.
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

MagikGimp wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:05 pm Couple of questions:
  1. Were the posts I made back in May of any use? I never had any responses back then so I wasn't sure if I was doing everything correctly. Of course everyone had much more pressing issues to deal with during the time of the beginnings of lockdowns and furloughs and such but I would appreciate feedback if anyone has time. Just so I know that checking disks through emulation is actually considered fine, if anything. The majority of the 'corrupted' list don't actually seem to be a problem and I very much doubt the true PP originals will ever be found.
  2. Are there plans to list PD menus on the site? ZeusGB put up a The Source menu the other day but I can't see them here anywhere.

The Source CD 89 - The Source (Atari STe)

YouTube embedding not working? I'll leave this as is in case it's just on my end.
Sorry, I forgot to answer. Thank you very much for the time spent on each corrupted menu. I had already done it on my side, and Marcer too, before posting the list. But yours is more detailed, so thank you :cheers:

I agree, some floppy disks that aren't validated by the PP tool have no major problem. When it comes to just the DESKTOP.INF file which is different, it doesn't matter at all. But in some cases, it is the main program that is not validated. And then there is still some issues with the roaster in the boot sector of airplane games. I compared with the original games and everything looks 100% good. This is weird...

I took the party on Stonish to always distribute healthy menus. As the PP have developed a program to validate the disks, it is the referrer. I am aware that it will be extremely difficult to get hold of these floppy disks, if not completely impossible. But we never know. If in a few months / years, we still haven't got our hands on the 100% validated menus, I will probably post them on the site.

Regarding PD disks, it is planned, but not immediately. But yes, it will be on the site when the time permits.

Ah, for the record, I received almost 90 Gravatics menus from Blurr, the founder of the group. I'm archiving them, but it takes a long time because a lot of floppy disks are damaged and I have to repair their contents one by one.

So stay tuned ;)
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

Great to hear from you, Brume; thank you. Some interesting stuff there. Are you saying the "roasters" (rosters) ;) on original commercial release disks are detected by the tool as correct?! That must surely mean that all PP disks went out untouched then, as far as those high-scores / saved games go, surely? This is very interesting indeed but quite how you get that original content back on a spread PP disk to overwrite someone's old score from the 80s on it... :lol:

Haven't come across The G.R.A.V.A.T.I.C.S. before. As you probably are aware, they have a very incomplete page (of intros) on DemoZoo so this is fantastic news that their founder himself got in touch with you personally. I look forward to checking those out so best of luck with them.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

Hmm, which originals are you referring to? I've checked the two sites I know of for PASTI images and neither have any of the flight sims on the affected disks. I guess Pera's not a fan of them either?
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

Hi,
maybe this is good place to ask. I have more than 1400 floppy disk with game menus. What should I do with them?

How to see/compare my disk with existing archives? I see that you mention petari (PP) "program to validate the disks", what is that?

Generally, it would be great if you can wrote some small "tutorial" how to preserve (if needed) these disks. What tools to use, what format, how to validate archive...

Thanks!

btw
my programs are online :) here: http://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Post by aktiv8 »

Hi Calimero

The PP validater I believe is the Pompey Pirates Disk Checker whihc they released on many menus to validate the integrity of the copies - basically id the chekcsums didnt match or whatever, then you should obtain a new copy at the time (could be as siiple as teh bootsector been over written by a differnt bootbloock anutvirus or somethign from what I recall)

Re preserving the disks, Brume, MUG UK and dlfrsilver can help here more so I would guess
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

calimero wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 amI have more than 1400 floppy disk with game menus. What should I do with them?
Where have you been, sir! This thread is more than 6 years old now! :mrgreen:
calimero wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 amHow to see/compare my disk with existing archives?
Check the first post of this thread on page 1.
calimero wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 amI see that you mention petari (PP) "program to validate the disks", what is that?
As my fellow countryman, aktiv8 says- PP were of course the Pompey Pirates. We are currently hoping to track down very elusive copies of their disks that pass their disk check tool which can be found on menu #13v4 (disk 13 kept coming back as a joke reference to the Halloween movies). You're bound to have their disks (doesn't everyone in the world??) but do you have copies that pass the checks? See earlier posts for more info.
calimero wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 amGenerally, it would be great if you can wrote some small "tutorial" how to preserve (if needed) these disks. What tools to use, what format, how to validate archive...
Certainly. I can tell you what I did at least. I personally use Pera Putnik's software to make disk images. Of course you'll need an old computer that still has a floppy drive. I expect there are far quicker methods using a direct connection from an ST to a PC or with an Ultra Satan or similar but I don't have those. I was about to say that I didn't know what "petari" is but it seems that Pera might have gone under this nickname at one point? I have a sneaking suspicion he's also sudest who replied in this very thread not too long ago. Pera has some 'history' here but I'd recognise that broken English and those high expectations anywhere... ;) [That account is 15 years old now though so maybe I'm not so sure about that after all.]
As far as validating archives, that's the problem really. Pompey Pirates aside, It's more of a case of Brume having to painstakingly check each disk image for things that don't load correctly and other such errors. The man is doing the Atari gods' work.
Hope that was useful.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

I've just noticed the PP disks are up on Stonish now. But not the Krappy Compact? Unless I missed it. Didn't know about that unnumbered (PP_A) disk before too.

Return to “Menu Disks”