Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Re: Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

Post by Brume »

qq1975b wrote:Ok, understood. Sorry.
No problem, any help is welcome :wink:
MagikGimp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

Post by MagikGimp »

The Little Green Desktop CD's PP #3 only has a problem with one of the high score files. As the doc for the checker says- "...it's almost certainly really OK, just different from my copy!" [the Alien's originals]. And I VERY much doubt we'll find one of those!

I'm working through the rest of the disks you listed and will post again soon.
Last edited by MagikGimp on Wed May 06, 2020 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!
MagikGimp

1/2 Disks that can be considered OK?

Post by MagikGimp »

PP 4 - If Sledge had a slightly different version of the file and Alien acknowledged this then that disk is OK, surely?
PP_13_4A_00001.png
PP 22 - The pilot roster is the equivalent of a save file so again I very much doubt an original will be found. These disk images date from 1998.
PP_13_4A_00004.png
PP 38 - See #22 but this time 00,0 is apparently not where this data is stored. Could this be the custom LGD boot sector or whatever?
PP_13_4A_00006.png
PP 45 - See #22. Data stored at 00,0 which seems the more common location.
PP_13_4A_00008.png
PP 64 - "Don't worry about it". Only one file missing of three mentioned. Would be nice to read it though!
PP_13_4A_00014.png
PP 73 - I did this one out of interest and it's another save game data discrepancy. Presumably you didn't get this for your image?
PP_13_4A_00017.png
The other disks (except in those in my 2nd post below) in your list are genuinely bad dumps as far as I can tell. I'm not sure about #61 as the problem is with 00,0. #72 shows a file as bad that's not mentioned in the comments that appear after scan. I don't know if this is also save game data or not.
Is having LGD's custom boot sector (I don't know what the correct term for this is) on these disks a problem? Can they easily be removed if necessary to recreate a pure original? <- IGNORE THIS. Turns out the LGD CD-ROM doesn't have his watermark although I could have sworn it did. Must be the Automation menus?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MagikGimp on Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!
MagikGimp

2/2 Patched disks

Post by MagikGimp »

PP 6 - Complains of having not been patched to include a trainer and about DESKTOP.INF (irrelevant?). When patched still shows this discrepancy. I have attached both images and they are different (intro blurb has changed).
PP_13_4A_00003.png
PP_006_00001.png
PP 27 - One of the disks fixed for STEs but when I attempt the patch it shouts at me! (Attempted on both STFM and STE configs)
PP_13_4A_00005.png
PP_027_00001.png
PP 44 - The fix may be around somewhere but good luck trying to track that ancient relic down, Indy.
PP_13_4A_00007.png
PP 50 - There's a fix which I applied and the disks appear different (checked with Duplicate Cleaner) but it's hard to tell for sure because the comment also mentions saved game / high score data as a discrepancy and the menu bug fix likely won't show in emulation. Please let me know if you want this patched disk if you think it's important!
PP_13_4A_00009.png
PP 53 - A fix that worked. Both images attached. Other discrepancy is high score related.
[TO BE CONTINUED IN 2b. I'm running out of attachments!]

My GOD I appreciate the Alien's attention to detail so much! Love that guy's work. The way he makes his name only to be a transparent layer so it flashes, all the text he changed in the games some of which is quite funny etc. OK so the games the Pirates cracked might not be the best, his scrollers make for pretty dire reading and their focus on presentation meant they never reached triple figures but their output is unmatched in style alone. This is why menus are my go to for the ST. The games themselves really are 2nd fiddle for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MagikGimp

2b

Post by MagikGimp »

[continued]
PP_13_4A_00010.png
PP_053_00001.png
PP 67 - Fix applied. No change in disk checker comment. Images different and attached.
PP_13_4A_00015.png
PP_067_00001.png

Return to “Menu Disks”