Game requests go here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

IK+ Graphics

Post by Bones99 »

Hi .
I'm working on a remake of IK+ for PC, my plan is to make it network enabled with a lobby system so that it works on a winner-stays-in basis , and challengers can queue to challenge the champion over the internet. The problem I have is that I cant draw :( and even if I could it would be pointless to re-create all the gfx by hand).

I wonder if anyone knows where I could get the graphics from ? I wrote a ripper and found the sprite data using a ccs64 freeze file, but I cant seem to understand that pattern in which the graphics are loaded.

Any version(c64,amiga,ST etc) of the gfx is welcome.
Can anyone help ?
techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Post by techie_alison »

This sounds like an excellent idea. I'm not sure how 'realtime' it will feel due to the latancy of the Internet, but if the packets are small which is quite predictable then it should be more than playable.

There will be people out there who can help with the graphics/sprites. In the meantime my guess would be to continue coding and establish a graphics engine framework with very basic purely functional sprites until someone comes along.

In a way this approach would allow for a kind of open development approach where new graphics could be slotted in by enthusiastic users.

Hope it all works out. Great to see someone with enthusiasm. :)
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Jetset Willy online - now IK+ online .. what's next? :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: IK+ Graphics

Post by Sarek »

Bones99 wrote:I'm working on a remake of IK+ for PC
I had a similar idea myself, to make a kind of karate tournament game (rather than a knockout) using IK+ sprites, where lots of people can play.

Also thought about including an heroic quest thingy like the original IK game, where player works his way through various cpu opponents... and in my design would finish his quest by collecting an oriental relic to show off to his friends, or traditional oriental weapons, like chinese forks, staffs and nunchucks to compete in other kinds of martial arts.

Also sansai can hold classes for training levels, to teach special moves, or improve coordination.

I hope you'll be getting some sample sounds from the Bruce Lee films. I think that was where the IK+ sounds game from. They sound very similar at least.

Don't know what I can do to help. I'll think about this. :)

Sounds like a good project. Good luck Bones. (Ooo another startrek fan :lol:)

Sarek
leglod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by leglod »

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Grunaki »

muguk wrote:Jetset Willy online - now IK+ online .. what's next? :)
"Hungry Horace" online? :wink:
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

leglod wrote:Hello look this http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/ik.php :o

Yeah I've seen it , I did a bit of a trawl and came up with a few remakes .. there was even one for a little b&w texas instruments calculetor/computer thingie.
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

Grunaki wrote:
muguk wrote:Jetset Willy online - now IK+ online .. what's next? :)
"Hungry Horace" online? :wink:
Actually .. you joke , but I was thinking of doing The wizard of wor online next.
ant512
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ant512 »

Hey guy, you're welcome to the resources I put together for the Flash version of IK+.

http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/source/font.zip
http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/source/sfx.zip
http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/so ... aphics.zip

The graphics will almost certainly need some work - they'll need aligning, adding to a sprite sheet, and you'll need to add the belts and headbands back in, which I stripped out because of the way I needed to bodge the changing colours in Flash MX.

They should give you a considerable headstart, anyway.
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

ant512 wrote:Hey guy, you're welcome to the resources I put together for the Flash version of IK+.

http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/source/font.zip
http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/source/sfx.zip
http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/so ... aphics.zip

The graphics will almost certainly need some work - they'll need aligning, adding to a sprite sheet, and you'll need to add the belts and headbands back in, which I stripped out because of the way I needed to bodge the changing colours in Flash MX.

They should give you a considerable headstart, anyway.
Brilliant!
Thanks so much! :))
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

BTW The Playstation Version has the sprite,backgrounds & sound effects on the disk in BMP to load right in to the pc!
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
ant512
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ant512 »

MiggyMog wrote:BTW The Playstation Version has the sprite,backgrounds & sound effects on the disk in BMP to load right in to the pc!
I'd completely forgotten about that, but you're right. The PS1 and GBA versions came out after I'd already grabbed most of the graphics myself. Anyway, I dug out the CD and nabbed the BMPs. The samples are in "VAG" format; dunno what that is. If it's a common format you can probably get a converter to WAV, but the samples I used were ripped directly from the Amiga game (I either dumped the Amiga's RAM and extracted it that way, or turned the disk into an image file and treated it like a raw sample in order to get at the data) - if I remember correctly, the sound in the PS/GBA versions wasn't as good.

PS1 sprites and sfx in this archive:

http://ant.simianzombie.com/games/ik/source/IK.zip
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Was going to blow the dust off my own original of IK+ then on the PS1 too ... still missing Archer's signature off it as keep forgetting to take it with me to these retro events where he turns up :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, I copied and pasted from Lemon64.

Well .. I went ahead and made good on my threat to start this project, there was an interesting debate about how badly I was going to get sued for doing this on CSDB but I spoke to some other folks over on the atari-forums including the remaker of the flash version and he agreed to let me use the resources he had collected for his project, so I though what the hell .. publish and be damned .

This little preview does n't show all that much, just the proof-of-concept I'm working on. Its written entirely in Delphi 6 using the Delphix 2000 components and what you see there took me about 6 hours to put togeather. Thanks muchly to ant512 and the friendly folks over at the Atari-forum for their kind words of encouragement.

I realize all the copyright implications and am hoping someone will volunteer to help redo the gfx , that way there will be as little copyright infringement threat as possible ..

I have to stress also that I am doing this as an educational excersize ONLY , I do not expect to make any money and would hate to tread on anyones toes , if anyone has a legitimate reason, I will cease work on this IMMEDIATELY god knows I'm just trying to have a little fun, not get involved in any legal battles ..

Tell me what you think. :)

Have a look here

Oh yeah .. nearly forgot
Keys:

Left cursor - walk left
Right cursor - walk right
Up cursor - Jump
Down cursor - foot sweep

Left cursor + x - Back flip
Right cursor + down - lunge punch
Up-right + x - double kick
ant512
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ant512 »

Heh, it's certainly coming along. You can see the problems posed by the graphics already - because all of the images are different sizes, it's tricky to know exactly where to place the images. The double-header kick (up-back-fire) jitters because of it. Took ages to get all of the images lined up right. I notice you're missing an image in the walking anim, too.

From memory, here are a few of the trickier things I worked out when porting the game to Flash. (Apologies for the long post!)

First of all, to give the game the amazing sense of fluidity that you don't really find in other fighting games, IK+ allows you to change your mind part way through a move and switch to something else. So, if you push towards-fire then change your mind and push towards-up-fire, this happens:

- Start at stationary frame;
- Player pushes forward-fire
- Switch to mid-kick frame one;
- Player pushes forward-up-fire;
- Switch to high-kick frame two;
- Switch to high-kick frame three;
- Player releases forward-up-fire;
- Switch to high-kick frame two;
- Switch to high-kick frame one;
- Switch to stationary frame.

Instead of forcing you to watch the animation for the first move, then the animation for the second move, the game blends the two sequences together and switches seamlessly from one to the next.

Once you get past a certain point in a move, though, you're committed to executing it. The backflip is a good example - you can change your mind on the first frame of the animation, and switch to another move or back to the stationary position, but after the first frame the backflip will execute no matter what you do.

When placing the judge at the end of a round, the game chooses the largest empty space and puts the judge in it. So, the algorithm looks like this:

- Get distance between left edge of screen and left-most player;
- Get distance between left-most player and next player;
- Get distance between that player and the last player;
- Get distance between the last player and the right edge;
- Put judge in largest gap.

Belt levels/colours:

- 0 = 0xEEEEE
- 10000 = 0xEEEE00
- 18000 = 0x66EE66
- 26000 = 0xAA00AA
- 38000 = 0xAA4400
- 50000 = 0x000000

The cheat codes and messages (centred horizontally, in yellow) are:

F*CK / C*NT
TUT TUT
ANY MORE OF THAT AND THE
GAME WILL BE TOTALLY RESET
(Game resets to title screen if typed twice)

W*NK
SWEATY HANDS SLIP OFF JOYSTICKS

DICK
TITHEAD

ARCH
IK+ C. 1998 ARCHER MACLEAN

ANBK
FANCY ANOTHER TRIP TOO BLACKPOOL...

ANGL
WHY DIDNT I BUY PDS EARLIER...

EDHK
WHY HAVE DAN AND MIKE BEEN LAZY RECENTLY

fork
NEVER MIND FOO, GOLFS ARNT SO BAD...

GLZP
GARY, YOU WONT TELL ANYONE, WILL YOU..

GPZP
GARY, ME OLD MATE, WHEN YAH COMING UP

SHAH
GO ON SHAHID, BUY ANOTHER COPY...

SIMR
SIMON, TYPE 'FREZ' TO TAKE PHOTOS

STEW
STRANGE PLACE TO KEEP THE PHONE, STEWART

SUNL
SPECIAL HELLO TO SUE AND NEIL FROM ARCH

TOTO
CHEERS TO ALL AT INTOTO

JACQ
WELL JACQUI,
THATS ANOTHER ONE IN THE CAN...

SLAN
NO CHANCE

DATE
A.S. PRODUCTION VERSION 20TH DEC 1988

JUMP
IK+ JUMPERS ARE AVAILABLE TO ORDER

TITL
(Resets to title screen)

GERM
(Switches to German language)

FILT
(Toggles the Amiga's low-pass sound filter on and off)

There are a few more that may or may not have an effect. They're listed on the internet, but after trying them in the game I wasn't convinced that they are really codes at all. PERI (makes the periscope appear in the background) and FISH (makes the fish jump in the background) are two such examples - they don't really seem to have any effect, but sites all over the web claim that they work.

Judge's comments:

One of the human players loses:
x wins
y stays in
z is out

Human wins against two CPU opponents; they do not necessarily have the same hit points (hit points defined as the coloured circles gained with each hit):
x wins
y and z
could do better

Two players have the same number of hitpoints
x wins
y and z
are equal second place

Ball bonus round begins:
deflect balls for
100 points each
or avoid them.

A player wins before time reaches 0:
x is awarded
p points
as a time bonus

A human player loses:
x wins
y is second
z is out

Bomb bonus round begins (red text):
kick bombs off for
100 points each
before they blow up

Bonus round complete (dunno what "x2" means, but it's in my notes):
survival bonus of
(x2) p points

CPU player loses a round scoring no hit points:
x wins
y stays in
come on z

All players score the same number of hit points:
you are all of
equal ability,
so play on

Player does not touch the joystick during a round (red text; judge taps his foot):
x has been
terminated for
being lazy...

Game over message 1 (dark blue text, double-size, centred):
MATCH OVER

Game over message 2 (blue text, judge taps his foot)
practice is
definitely
recommended

Not good enough for high score table:
x did well but
has not qualified
for hall of fame

Good enough for high score table:
x has achieved
hall of fame
entry status

Attract sequence runs for a while with no user input:
it seems that we
have a lifeless
crowd in today

Scores for a successful attack change depending on whether the enemy player was facing towards or away from the attacking player when knocked over. For example, the leg sweep attack (pull down on the stick) is worth 200 points if the player attacked is facing you, but only 100 points if the player is facing away. Scores in full (name, then facing towards, then facing away):

- Cockpunch - 400 - 200 (down)
- Leg sweep - 200 - 100 (down-away)
- Shin kick - 400 - 200 (down-towards)
- Punch - 200 - 100 (up-towards)
- Turn Punch - 200 - 100 (up-away)
- Flying kick - 800 - 400 (up-fire)
- Turn sweep - 200 - 100 (down-fire)
- Mid kick - 200 - 100 (towards-fire)
- Headbutt - 1000 - 500 (up-towards-fire)
- High kick - 400 - 200 (down-towards-fire)
- Turn high kick - 800 - 400 (down-away-fire)
- Double head - 1000 (up-away-fire)

The double head kick is the odd one out here. Regardless of which way the enemy is facing, the attacking player gets 1000 points for *each* opponent knocked down. So, if you successfully knock over both opponents with this attack, you get 2000 points. The game illustrates this with two 1000 point score bubbles.

Other stuff to watch out for:

- Shadows change their angle depending on where the players are relative to the middle of the screen to give the illusion of 3D;
- The bombs and balls in the bonus rounds also have shadows, as does the judge;
- The ripples of the sun on the water change as the game progresses, as it's all calculated in realtime (the Flash version cheats by using a sequence of GIFs because MX simply didn't have the ability to replicate the effect);
- Players are awarded two hit points if they hit an enemy facing them, and one hit point if the enemy is facing away;
- Pressing the * key changes the colour of the sun's reflection;
- Pressing keys F6, F7, F8, F9 and F10 (6, 7, 8, 9 and 0 in the Flash version) change the game's speed - the simplest way to achieve this is to just have a function at the top of your main loop that skips a certain number of frames before updating again, thus slowing the game down);
- There are loads of background animations not included in the Flash version, because I didn't get around to adding them - periscope, fish, pacman, worm, birds, and the tree sheds its leaves;
- The highest belt achievable is called "Mega hero", or something similar to that (not sure exactly) - it's the next one up from Blackbelt, and I've no idea how many points you need to achieve it;
- There's a block move in the original game not included in the Flash version (not sure how you active it; think it's just a matter of pulling away on the stick whilst being attacked).

Finally, these are my notes for the AI system. I didn't get around to implementing any of this; the current system was bodged in just to see everything moving around. It's amazing that it works as well as it does.

Overview:

- Acquire target
- Initiate defence routines
- Initiate attack routines
- Move if necessary

Breakdown:

- Choose a target (below)
- Choose an attacking move (Math.random)
- Is the enemy behind me? (below)
- Am I being attacked? Check current frames of both characters, the reach of any attacking moves and see if a collision will occur.
- If yes, choose an appropriate defensive move and execute it:
- Sweep = jump/backflip/flying kick/walk back/walk forward
- Punch = backflip/walk back/walk forward
- etc
- Can I hit target from here? Check reach against hit zones (this.reach[0] and target.hitzone[0], *not* this.hitzone, to take into account different frames)
- If yes, execute attacking move.
- If no, move closer.

Target acquisition:

- Check to see which is closer, or
- Attack only one player in this round, or
- Attack only human players in this round.
- Only choose targets who have not been knocked over
- Re-acquire targets at:
- A random interval
- When Math.random == some value
- When another player is closer
- When the target is knocked over

Change attack:

- Choose another attack after a random period, or
- Math.random == some value, or
- Choose attack based on distance from target (could result in the cpu consistently choosing the same attack)?

About-face maneouver:

- Should I turn now or attack with a turning-and-attack move?
- Turn-and-attacks are:
- Turn-and-sweep
- Turn-and-highkick
- Turn-and-punch
- If turn now, execute a turn-and-attack move
- Possibly re-acquire target, to take into account new position?
- Else walk backwards until

Make it Stupid
--------------

- Reduce accuracy of range values by multiplying by a random number (random number decreases in each round, therefore increasing accuracy)
- Reduce accuracy of target location identifying (same method - CPU attacks wrong location)
- Decrease frequency of target acquisition
- Decrease frequency of intended attack reviewing
- Decrease number of available attacks (eg. level 1 cannot use the headbutt)
- Decrease number of available defenses (eg. level 1 cannot ise the jump)
- Hesitancy:
- Uses two variables, timetohesitancy and hesitancy.
- Both set to random values.
- if timetohesitancy > 0, decrease it until it reaches 0.
- Then, lock the controls whilst hesitancy > 0.
- Reset values to new amounts, unlock the controls, and begin the cycle again.
- This introduces a period wherein the CPU players are idle.

Regarding legal issues, I actually ran my version past Archer Maclean. He said that he owns the copyright to the game, and he exploits them via Ignition Entertainment (his current software house, which published the GBA/PS1 versions). However, he also said that he was in a legal dispute at the time (March 2004) with System 3 over the rights, and asked me to temporarily take the game down. As I didn't hear anything more, I put it back up again. I'd assume that his response was basically ensuring "plausible deniability" - he's legally obiliged to protect his copyrights or he'll lose them by default. As long as he's done his bit, it doesn't matter if I then (without his knowledge) re-upload the game again. That's how I read the situation, anyway, but I may be wrong.

Some time later I was contacted by Ironstone, makers of the C64 DTV stick, who claimed to own the Flash rights to the game. They claimed to have bought them from System 3. They wanted to work with me to finish my version and then give it a commercial release. Nothing came of that, but I did get to go to their offices.

So, who owns the rights? Ignition, System 3 or Ironstone? I have no idea. I did get these fantastic quotes from Archer, though:

"I really like what you have done, it is impressive!"
"I have to ask, how did you do the conversion - is it an emulation of the original?"

An Amiga emulator in Flash? No chance.

Oh, and one more thing - I began work on the Flash port exactly 4 years ago today!
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

Oh, and one more thing - I began work on the Flash port exactly 4 years ago today!
way-hey!
Happy port-day!
Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Maartau »

Good job ! Hope you will succeed :wink:
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

I managed to get the basic network framework working with my brothers server (written in C++ .. endian Confusion reigns) this evening, I'm so pleased with this I decided to bore you all with a screenie :)

Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Maartau »

Bones99 : really great job ! Keep the post updated :D
Bones99
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Bones99 »

I was wondering if anyone can make any recomendations of a fairly inexpensive dedicated server hosing service , not only for this project , but for several others that I'm working on , hosting servers on my extremely limited up-pipe is becomming a problem , also , when I finish IK online , I'd like to host a server but dont want to expose my own private internet connection. Anyone had any experience with this ?

Essentially I need a fast and fairly cheap service in the UK that will allow me the freedom to manage my own deployment without restriction

thanks.
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by PaulB »

I don't know if this one is any good to you or not but you can try http://www.esmartstart.com/
They have 250mb free webspace and free sub domains such as you.esmartstart.com

Return to “Games - Requests”