For Sale: Atari ST Book

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: For Sale: Atari ST Book

Post by junosix »

leech wrote:Could have sworn I had read the ST Book had the upgraded video etc.
You're not going mad, check out the ST Book preview in STF24. Pages 25-26. STE hardware was used for the ST Pad design as it allowed for greater screen orientation/size flexibility, and the ST Book's hardware is derived from that. Not sure if it means there's a full STE in there or whether it's just the blitter and hardware scrolling.

http://www.atarimania.com/atari-magazin ... _1415.html
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

junosix wrote:
leech wrote:Could have sworn I had read the ST Book had the upgraded video etc.
You're not going mad, check out the ST Book preview in STF24. Pages 25-26. STE hardware was used for the ST Pad design as it allowed for greater screen orientation/size flexibility, and the ST Book's hardware is derived from that. Not sure if it means there's a full STE in there or whether it's just the blitter and hardware scrolling.

http://www.atarimania.com/atari-magazin ... _1415.html
My coworkers would probably disagree with that. :P Interesting about the ST Pad design. Speaking of the ST Pad, if Atari had actually not dumped all of their work and focused on the Jaguar, they could have released the first 'pad' computer. So many things are marked as Atari 'firsts', yet so many things are credited to Apple these days, makes me puke...

Sorry for the rant. With FPGA awesomeness out there, I think one of our crafty Atari fans needs to make a refreshed ST Book.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dal »

The MiST would make a good base for a modern STbook.
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
SteveBagley
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by SteveBagley »

Symoon wrote:BTW, the "STE" confusion may be due to the Wikipeida article saying the ST Book is STE based (but clearly stating the screen is monochrome)
From looking at the schematics and reading the technical specs -- the ST Book is a hybrid of the STe and ST. It has the STE's COMBO MCU combined with the Stacy's SHADOW chip video shifter. Therefore, it should happily sort some of the STe features, but not others -- it'll should happily do vertical scrolling but only do horizontal scrolling on a 16px boundary (since the SHADOW doesn't support fine scrolling). It has a blitter, but won't support DMA sound replay…

Steve

Return to “For sale / Wanted”