Wish me luck

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Wish me luck

Post by manicx »

In two days, if everything goes well, I will have a thyroidectomy. This is only a few days before my 30th birthday. According to people, this is a routine operation, but according to my doctor, it is an operation. The only thing that lets me down is that I will have one more scar in my face (already have a few tiny ones after an accident I had 7 years ago).

So, I 'll be back in about 15 days. I am not sure if I will be able to browse the forums by then, but if I am lucky, I will borrow a laptop and say hello.
RaZ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by RaZ »

Good luck.
I had the same operation a few years ago and even if a general anaesthetic is not something to be taken lightly, the surgery in itself is well known and is not a real problem.
About the scar in itself, nowadays it is about a 10cm long scar at the base of the neck, it is usually hidden by any t-shirt you could be wearing and is not that much visible if you don't pay attention.

After the operation, you should know that it's not painful but you'll feel a real strain in the neck and only be able to look at the floor because you won't be able to pull your head up too much.

It will take a few month to heal well and for now my scar sometimes itches a bit (but it's probably only psychological) but it's quite ok.

I hope you are well informed about your future medical treatment, take of blood sample, etc...

If you have any questions, i'll try to answer it as good as i can.
Was known as Ozone-design in Cerebral Vortex back in the good ol'years
manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

Thanks for letting me know. I am actually well informed. I have been taking Thyroxine for about 15 months now together with methimazole that were used to balance my TSH hormone. I know that I 'll have several blood tests afterwards to ensure that my TSH is stabilised in acceptable levels.

My biggest problem is that I sleep on my tummy. I don't know how long it has to be taken to sleep again like that, but I am sure that for 15 days I will sleep 2-3 hours a day.

Regarding the scar, oil with vitamin E is a must if you want to heal quicker than normal...

And I agree about general anaestesia, it is something uknown and basically, I have no idea how it feels and how you get out of it....
RaZ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by RaZ »

Waking up after a general anaesthesia leave you really "stoned", personnally it has been a really bad wake up (like throwing up green liquid and stuff, anyway...) , that will last a few hours, then you'll probably just fall asleep and wake up (again) the day after, feeling much better.

What i wanted to point about future treatments is that you MAY (just like me) have to take Levothyrox (or something else whatever the name) and take blood samples every once for the rest of your life. A thing that the doctors forgot to mention at the time, i was just expecting to be operated and free as a bird afterwards which was far from reality...

For the two first years after my operation i had to go take blood sample and check the result with my doctor every three months and now it's twice a year. I hope it will be less in the future. It's just pissing me off running after the papers, going to the lab, etc...

I don't want to worry you more than you should but i thought you'd know.
punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by punkrulesok »

Good luck, and a good recovery :)
manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

Don't worry RaZ. I know about these things because I am doing it already. Had more than 12 blood tests in the last 2 years, I am getting thyroxine and I know I'll be taking it for the rest of my life... Life is not always easy, but I prefer to have the nodule removed rather than fearing cancer in 2-3 years. My nodule is kinda big, specifically, 5.5 * 3.2 cm. Thanks anyway...
RaZ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by RaZ »

Well, 'nough said so, good luck and take care.
Perihelion

Post by Perihelion »

Damn, you made me glad I have a healthy body.
Good luck and be with us soon again!
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

A bit late this, I hope everything went ok,
I won't pretend to understand what you have had done,
but I do hope it all went well and you make a full recovery!

Andy

(wow I did a normal, sensible post! :o )
Thalion
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Thalion »

Good recovery pal, and dont try to get upright when you will first open up your eyes from anesthaetic. In the best case if you will try to get up you will end up throwing up or similar. Take your time and enjoy this staying in bed. After all there is nothing much you can do about it, so just enjoy and try sleeping a lot.

Good luck with it and hope to see you back soon...
ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Post by ST Graveyard »

Good luck Manicx!
We are Atari Legend.

Visit us at : http://www.atarilegend.com

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net
manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

Thanks guys. Everything went just fine. The only annoying thing after the operation was that I had to be in bed for something like 5 hours after the operation because doctors were scared about falling down due to the anesthesia. I did stay for something like 4 hours but then I stood up and almost run to the toilet because I wanted to pee! :oops: :lol:

Had good laugh while in hospital especially when chaffed the really nice and beautiful nurses. Student nurses were gorgeous and I wanted them to be there for longer, not just for 5 hours a day! :)

I recoved really well, looking forward now for a more relaxed life...
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Glad to see you got through it all OK.

Just heard from a mate who'd been very quiet recently - 4 weeks with no contact, none returning of calls etc...

Turns out he'd been in hospital with duodenal (sp?) ulcer which had burst, in turn caused an artery to burst and he "died" on the emergency table and was brought back to life etc.

He's due out on Thursday of this week so popping around to see him on Xmas day (mainly to get some quiet time away from the family!) and, as per usual, fix his PC problems :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
RaZ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by RaZ »

Glad it went all fine, good to see you back.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Heheh nice one Manicx! , so there are nice nurses in your Hospitals too? :P
How was the food though? as one of many urban myths in UK is that Hospital food over here is Terrible! , yet I enjoyed it on all of my 3 stays with the NHS over the past 15 years or so!
Having said all that my girlfriend's Mother is a Nurse, so there goes that fantasy :oops:

Take it easy over Xmas, as I intend to do!

:)
Perihelion

Post by Perihelion »

don't let go of your fantasies retroGamer, I promise I won't judge you :)
Btw, this raises an issue i've ben thinking a little about, what if one of us dies, no one would know why the person all of the sudden stopped popping up on the forum (well few of us)
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Good point Perehelion, perhaps there is an online oui-ja board somewhere?
Maybe my ethernet adaptor can communicate with the deceased if configured correctly?
Then again maybe Maartens is more qualified to answer this question than I.

Perihelion

Post by Perihelion »

yep, he is, or was, after all the zombie master. Nowadays, he's more into ducks ... I'm not sure if this is in a more sexual way, or just a shift in hobbies.
manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

Food was excellent. The first day after the operation I ate nothing, just water. The next day I had a really cool lunch (pork steak with barley-shaped pasta, apple, compote with peaches, cream) and excellent dinner (chicken with potatos cooked in the oven, yogurt, compote with peaches, cream). It was really good and my mother agreed because she tried it before me to ensure that it was cooked properly.

Haven't been in a UK hospital, although my ex (from Aberdeen) was a student nurse and her mother was the BNA agent in Aberdeen. Maybe, this is why I like nurses :wink: !
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Perehelion wrote:Nowadays, he's more into ducks ...
Well then perhaps Grave would be interested in the following tasty little thing in uniform?? :P
Warning! Do not touch this link if you are offended by unindecency!
http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/PVC/PV ... ynurse.jpg

Perihelion

Post by Perihelion »

I think nurse fetishism (er, spellcheck please!) is universal :oops:
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

I prefer my Duck crispy in O.K. sauce, with pancakes.

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”