What Happened To Ocean?

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

mic
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mic »

Toki was developed in house bt the french division of Ocean. By the way, Toki on st = code by M-Coder !
Shazz
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Shazz »

Mic,

M-Coder real name is Jean-Charles Meyrignac ?

Who ! I did not know that ! :D
...8bits are enough...
mic
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mic »

Yes, that's it !
uno
Atariator
Atariator

Post by uno »

I once read that Gary Bracey, the boss of development back then, was fired because of the RobocopIII-dongle desaster, but I dunno if this is true. He was almost some kind of rockstar in the industry.
Ocean is probably my favourite publisher of all time (they started somewhen in `83 I think). No idea why almost everybody I know is bitching about them, I love arcade-2d-plattform-jump-n-shoots-and-whatever-games(tm), ok, forget about most of their movie-conversions...
I think only few games where done in-house anyway and btw: There were rumors and stories about their low morale when it comes to paying their employees.
bodkinz

Post by bodkinz »

hahahaha.. dongles.. a total waste of time... because?????

they rely on software... a lot of money to try and protect something that can be easily cracked.. am i right?

bodkinz
someone post something, i'm bored :)
Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Cyrano Jones »

If done properly dongles can be a total bitch (eg, the Rainbow/Sentinel ones)
Tim1712
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Tim1712 »

:cry: i do miss OCEAN a lot, too.Have loved games like Wizball and...*sneef*...also miss Psygnosis :roll:

Ohhhh remembering the good old ATARI times :wink: 8)
ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ggn »

Considering their releases on the ST as a whole, I'm not too sad they went away.

On a similar note, a word from one of the conrtactees of Ocean: (http://thelostpatrol.knagge.com/interview.htm)
We wanted to bring the game out just on Amiga and ST, but Ocean insisted that we also do a PC version. They sourced a great team to do the conversion, but I think it was in 4 screen colours and we hardly ever heard from them as they did their version. No requests for our control stat's for the game, its structure or how and why we structured the game as it was. I think they were just given an Amiga game and told to go and convert it by play alone! Ocean were interested only in getting titles out onto as many formats as possible, with little caring about gameplay."
also:
Christ . . . Okay. It was hell. They were unsupportive and downright obstructive at times. We'd taken the game idea and some screens to a couple of smaller companies, and thought we'd got it made when Ocean signed us up. How wrong we were! They were determined it was going to be an arcade game, we were determined that it wasn't - it was bound to go wrong at some point. But we also got to know other teams who were also working for them and discovered that Ocean was (alledgedly) known for not paying scheduled advances on time and being less than truthful when it came to paying royalties. Nobody stood a chance. They told you what sales had been like and you just had to suck it up. I still to this day believe that the game sold far in excess of what they told us.

They still owe us over £5,000 (which was a hell of a lot of money back then), held back they said 'just in case there were returns'. We tried to take them to court to get the money, but of course, they had more cash for lawyers than us, so after a costly battle we just had to let it go. My wish for many years was that upon my death my ashes would be scattered over the head of Gary Bracey, the then boss of development at Ocean :-)"
A bunch of greedy industrialists if you ask me :)

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Pang (the great pang) was also coded in france, by Adane and Boiramé. I've met them last summer in Paris in a videogame company ;)
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

Nopeee Tobeee ^^

Pang was done by P.adane and Thierry Levastre.
alain Boisramé has nothing to do with the game (or did he do the atari ST
convertion ? )

Yes Ocean France (french affiliate) had really done great job.

They showed how arcade conversion should have been on our machines.

Toki has been my best surprise from Ocean, a french conversion and very well done :lol:

And about Dawn drake the graphist girl (batman the movie hehe)
is just a georgeous woman with the most beautiful T*TS of the game industry ^^.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
NiceGuyUK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NiceGuyUK »

dlfrsilver wrote: And about Dawn drake the graphist girl (batman the movie hehe)
is just a georgeous woman with the most beautiful T*TS of the game industry ^^.
Gonna have to take your word for that - Google Image Search could only give me thumbnails cached from a site thats down :(
Also known as Big Boss Man of Demografica
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

Well i have a pic of her, and believe me, my actual girlfriend have the same :lol:

She is blonde, and very good looking.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Think there was a pic of her @ The Ocean Experience site ..

.... sudden rush of bandwidth and all coming from this site :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
NiceGuyUK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NiceGuyUK »

muguk wrote:Think there was a pic of her @ The Ocean Experience site ..

Yeah, thats the one I tried.
ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ggn »

dlfrsilver wrote:alain Boisramé has nothing to do with the game (or did he do the atari ST
convertion ? )
Off the top of my head: The only thing I remember Alain Boisramé did on ST was the conversion of Jim Power (crap Turrican wannabe, nice code anyway :))

George
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Afaik, Adane was working on the amiga version and Boisramé on the atari version.
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.
ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ggn »

tobe wrote:Afaik, Adane was working on the amiga version and Boisramé on the atari version.
Booting the game confimed this - the version I had played had the credits stripped, so I couldn't remember this ;)
CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

A bunch of greedy industrialists if you ask me
George, if you care to read any old issue of Maggie, usually the classic Lost Boys issues before we got hold of it, there are quite a lot of kickings aimed at Ocean and that other sausage factory of sub-standard games, US Gold!

Ocean DID do some good games, usually by buying in outside talent, like the Frenchies, and of course, the people that did F29 Retaliator, Epic, and RoboCop 3. Otherwise they were notorious for the bulk of their output being those generic samey platform arcade things, with whatever movie licence was currently being flogged printed on the outside of the box.

I do remember Gary Bracey from a pre-Ocean existence, as he owned a computer shop called Blue Chip Computers in Liverpool. He sold a computer to me (not an ST, that was too early! But I saw my first 'live' ST on those same premises a bit later on.)
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

dlfrsilver wrote: Pang was done by P.adane and Thierry Levastre.
Cheers DF, I've added Thierry and Ocean France to the Pang entry on Atari Legend, but before I make a mistake and add "P.Adane" as an indivdual, do you know what his first name is?

Also do you know if Ocean (France) were behind Toki and any other titles so I can amend their entries too?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
NiceGuyUK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NiceGuyUK »

Pierre
nobogod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by nobogod »

NiceGuyUK wrote:
muguk wrote:Think there was a pic of her @ The Ocean Experience site ..

Yeah, thats the one I tried.
Is she Dawn Drake?
Now this page is loading. check it out!
http://theoceanexperience.co.uk/pics.htm
where she is blonde

http://theoceanexperience.co.uk/pics4.htm
where she's not!
aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Post by aktiv8 »

Dawn Drake... 8O

When I first saw a pic of her in (I think it was) an old Your Sinclair I was droolling :P :oops:
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

I'm surprised *anyone* got any work done at that place (and some of the games do show this!) - free arcade machines, laid back attitude and *slurp* Dawn Drake :)

NiceGuy: Cheers mucker .. will add it to the AL database.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Post by unseenmenace »

Well I certainly would ;)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

So am I right in thinking Ocean France were responsible for:

Toki
Ivanhoe
Pang
Cabal
Plotting

No others?

I've split the AL database into Ocean (France) and Ocean (UK) so I can differentiate on the developer tag when it's in-house (i.e. not Special FX or Red Rat)

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”