Before ST

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Before ST

Post by Retrogamer_ST »

A longtimer, eh?

Was ST your first computer?

I played arcade Pong in the mid 70's. My first console was a Fairchild Channel F (1979).
Then i bought a Philips Videopac G7000 in 1981 or 1982. Then it was time for Commodore Vic-20 in 1983. Then i bought a Milton Bradley Vectrex games console. Then i bought Mattel Intellivision in late 1984. Then it was Atari 800 XL in 1985

3 years later 1988 i bought an Atari 520 ST.

Actually i wanted to buy a swedish ABC 80 computer long before i bought my Vic-20 in 1983 but couldn't afford it then. I wanted to buy a ZX Spectrum too even if we mocked a friend for buying one as Vic-20 owners.

Atari ST was just a powerful new 16 bit computer for me while ST was the first computer for many other people. ;)
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Before ST

Post by DarkLord »

Guess I followed the path that many did:

(with the exception perhaps of the Falcon and certainly the Firebee).

8bit line (800XL)

ST

Lynx

Falcon

Jaguar

Firebee

Many models in between as well (Mega ST, STe, Mega STe, TT, STacy, etc).

Now with my son, who was pre-teen/teen aged at the time, we did have
various NES's, Sega's, Playstations, etc,...honestly though, except for a few
titles that grabbed my attention (Ico and Shadow of the Colossus spring to
mind - oh, we liked the Twisted Metal series too), he played on those systems
much more than I ever did.

Then as now, Atari runs in my veins... :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Post by FedePede04 »

the first home experience with videos games, was also pong..
we got a couple, and i think to remember something about that they break easily.

my first computer was a Lambda 8300 2k it was later expanded to 16k of ram,those there they days :)

same time that i had the lambda, i also got an intellivision.

then i got a spectravideo svi 318 with build in joystick :)

after i got the spectravideo svi 728 MSX

and then i got the Atari ST, i think it cost something like 6300 Dkr converted to English Pound using today rate, it would be something like 726 pound and that was with out monitor :D

an after the Atari i got my first PC, and it is first lately that i got a couple of old game consoles.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)
Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Retrogamer_ST »

To all people who posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing your computer history the years before you got your first Atari ST. :)

The big problem with computers as Lambda 8300 was, no support and they died off quickly. In the good old days to buy a computer was kind of wild west. A Sord m5? Perhaps i should by a Jupiter Ace, a Lambda, a Compis or perhaps ABC 80, New Brain, Microbee, Colour Genie or a Micro Professor II?

It didn't took long before only a handful of computers was left on the market.

For exemple, Fairchild Channel F got about 24 games in total before it died off in silence.

Yet it was a fun experience.
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

The Nascom was probably the first computer I used which my uncle built for himself in 1979/80. After that I used a Atari VCS 2600 woody in 1981 I think. After this I used the BBC Micro at school with the 5¼ inch floppy drive. I finally owned my own computer in July 1983 with Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K rubber keys model series 1 or 2 I forget now; my uncle had previously got one earlier that year and loved playing Psion Flight Simulator on it. Next for me was the Amstrad CPC464 which was only used to play games on, of which I bought around 500 and the rest were copies. I then lost interest in gaming and computers in general until in September 1994 my friend needed money to buy a series two Land Rover, so he sold me his Atari 1040 STE with SM124 monitor and a copy of Steinberg Cubase v2.0; I was a long time musician and needed something more powerful to progress with. Later in June 2000 my uncle gave me a Socket 7 based desktop PC and I abandoned my STE in favour of using the internet (bad move I know but...). Much later in September 2008 I saw an Ebay auction for two STE machines, one with internal IDE and many extras, and so I began my epic retro hobby. This was also partly a big mistake for personal and family reasons, but apart from that it has proved interesting and I have been part of a wonderful community online. In the past 30+ years I have used many other computers at other friends houses or elsewhere; computers such as the MSX, VIC=20, Oric, Dragon 32, Zx81, +2, +3, + 128K, Acorn Electron, Amiga 500 / 600, C64 and many, many more.
purpleeagle01
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by purpleeagle01 »

I made my first experience with.

800XL
ST
STE
Jaguar
Lynx
Falcon

My STE 800XL and Falcon still on my Big Table in use :D
The Most Good things beginning with the letter A
Like Atari Austria Wien(My Favorite Soccer Team)
Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Retrogamer_ST »

Why my first computer was a Vic-20 is not so strange. ;)

In Sweden Atari 800 was horrible expensive, so were the games and pheripals. ZX Spectrum was not as well promoted in Sweden. Vic-20 was showing up on ads just about everywhere as "The Peoples Computer", an affordable colour computer for everyone. Vic-20 soon became the market leader in Sweden.

Then came C64. Many Vic-20 owners bought Commodores new computer. The price was still pretty steep for getting a C64. After a short while Commodore lowered the price on C64 several times and forced Atari to follow. Suddenly i could afford the 8bit computer that i wanted from the beginning, 8bit Atari.

The most ironic thing is that i can thank Commodore for that. :D
polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

My first computer experience was playing with teletypes that spit out perforated tape at my father's work. Now that was something :)

First computing device I've owned was actually an HP 41CV, back in early 80s, but for real computers, here we go:

C64 - 1985
520ST - 1987
Mega ST -1989
Lynx and Portfolio somewhere in between
Amiga 3000 - 1992

Early in 1993 I got into PCs and got rid of all other computers. Mark Williams company that made the C compiler for ST also made Coherent Unix clone on the cheap, and it was a perfect transition tool... Everything was great until a retro bug hit me, and I think in 1998 I started going back, first to various 8-bits, from C64 and Atari 800XL to Apple II. Few years later I added 68k based computers, everything from Mega ST to Amiga 2000, even an Ateo Tower, while switching to Macs for normal computer use.

The only game consoles I've owned were Lynx - had it for few months, then sold it, Gameboy DS, and Playstation 2 and 3 - only had it to play Gran Turismo series.

Now I'm organizing/streamlining my collection again, and have ordered Mist and Firebee, everything else is going into storage and/or eBay. Mist will be great for my gaming needs while Firebee will keep the fire burning for my programming needs :)
m68k forever
Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Retrogamer_ST »

polbit wrote:Everything was great until a retro bug hit me, and I think in 1998 I started going back, first to various 8-bits, from C64 and Atari 800XL to Apple II.
Same thing happend to me. ;)

I remember that i bought 3 new games for my newly chipped Playstation late 1996. Yet i went into the bedroom to play some more Llamatron and Pac-Mania on my Atari STE after reading some of my old ST Format magazines same afternoon. Since then i'm a retrobuff. Right now Atari 800 is THE computer. I have spent months to sort out all games and appz i have downloaded on internet to get a complete collection of Atari 8bit games and appz. At the same time i trying to increase and sort my ZX Spectrum, VIC-20 and C64 collections, so it's very much 8bit for me right now.

At the same time i learn a lot about computer history and software companies. :)
rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rpineau »

For me it was :
Sinclair ZX81
Oric Atmos
Atari 130XE
Amstrad PC (a short 3 month of the POS PC).
Atari 1040STF
Atari MegaSTE
Atari Portfolio
Atari Falcon
Apple Mac Pro PPC
Apple Powerbook G4
Apple Mac Pro Intel (2006)
Apple Macbook Pro (Intel)
Apple Mac mini (multiple, including the latest one, some are used as media center, one is my main computer).

These are the one I owned. Along the way I also had access to a ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC 464, Apple IIe, some PC in various flavor, Macs (512 then some based on a 68030)....

I since then also bought a Apple IIc (about 12 years ago) that still works and I still have my ZX81 (with the 16KB expansion) that also still works.

On the game console side : Atari VCS2600, Atari Jaguar (development version with the Alpine board), Sony PS1 (PSX), PS2, PS3, Wii, PSP, Gameboy advanced, Nintendo DS (multiple versions)...
I also inherited a Lynx about 3 years ago.

As of today I still have the Falcon, a 1040STF (not my original one), ZX81, Apple IIc, Lynx, Jaguar, PS2, PS3, Wii, Mac Pro Intel, Macbook Pro, Mac mini Intel (x4) and a few handled game console.
Add a few linux servers to that :)

Regards, Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php
MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by MrMaddog »

My first computer back in grade school (early 80's) was a Radio Shack Color Computer, mostly because my parents shopped there frequently. I've always wanted an Atari 400 or 800 because I loved the 2600 console, but it was just too expensive back then. But at least I learned BASIC programming at a young age, and didn't have to buy a seperate cart for it.

Then in high school (late 80's) I got an Atari 130XE which was way cheaper and more powerful. I was able to do and learn more on it plus it helped me get through some English courses. Software for it was very rare when I moved but I was able to get stuff from the Antic coverdisks. Also during my later high school years we used the original Macintosh. They had a great interface and the wonderful HyperCard app along with some cool games. Techwise though it wasn't great with the memory limitations (ie constant disk swapping) and always prone to crashes.

Around the time of my graduation I came across a STe at a computer store. I've read about ST's in Antic but never saw how great the games were comparied to the 8-bit systems I've used. They had Killing Game Show running and I was blown away by the graphics and gameplay. Then I saw a Mega STe next to it with a mono display and it looked just like the Macs I used. It was amazing to see how those were pretty much the same machines, and can also do Mac emulation also. So that was my graduation gift and got me through college. The best thing I've gotten out of the ST was getting in touch with a great community of users (first a local user group and then a newsgroup online) as well as knowing how to get the best from any computer.

After college though, my ST monitor died and I pretty much have been using PC's ever since. It's mostly for the games but I use Linux off and on plus ST emulation help keeps me in touch with my favorite platform for the last 20 years. :)
Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Retrogamer_ST »

More veterans on the thread. :)

I didn't tell you about my machines after i bought my first ST. I had a Gameboy, SNES, Sega Megadrive, Amiga CD32, Playstation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64. After that it was all about PC.

It took a long time for me to get a PC, i really hated the PC. I hated DOS too. Everything was much easier when using Atari ST. Then PC became more and more popular. At last i got my first PC 2002 with Windows 98 SE. Later i upgraded to XP.

Then i tried Linux for a while, Mandrake (mandriva), Knoppix, Puppy Linux and Ubuntu. I was even moderator in a swedish Ubuntu forum for a year. Today i use a multicore PC and Windows 7. A computer today feels more like a kind of everything machine then a computer (me think). If i want to run a computer i start STeem, Altirra, Spectaculator or VICE. ;)
maergrey
Atariator
Atariator

Post by maergrey »

I started with:-

sinclair zx spectrum+ 48k
sinclair zx spectrum+ 128k
sam coupe 256k
atari stfm 512k
atari stfm 1040 1mb

my atari stfm 1040 1mb is the longest computer i have ever owned. :)
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

First computer I remember was ZX81
Later, I remeber going with father to buy ZX Spectrum
And few years later, Atari ST (1986.)
We had Atari computers exclusevly in home until 1999. ;)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by nativ »

Grandstand FireFox F7
Nintendo Game and Watch

Edit : at School there was an RM Nimbus with a LOGO Turtle
And at a later school a series of BBC B's / Masters ? One in the Library had a Laserdisc with The Doomsday book on .
Amstrad PCW 8256
Spectrum +2
PC - 286? with Hercules GFX card ( PC hi res mono )
Spectrum +3
Atari STe
old 286 for college
HP Vectra 386/25 + FPU
Atari Falcon
P166MMX - win95
Atari XE
Dreamcast
most of the Pc's were family computers

used loads of different pc's along the way.

as of 2010 I got a G4 mac cheap about £10 then picked up a MDD Dual 1.25 which I run alongside the ST
Last edited by nativ on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
KLund1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by KLund1 »

Cool thread!
Interesting to see the difference between Europe and America users. What they had available and what you used. Lots of fun!
My little story started out in 2nd grade '73 when my school got three TTY's modem connected to Stanford University's mainframe. Learned Basic, and logon skills.
Then I get a summer at Xerox PARC after 4th grade. There I had my own ALTO connected to turtle with colored pens on ground covered in paper. She (ALTO) was purple, and her name I think was Mindy. They like to name the machines to make seem more friendly. Had my own HD pack I loaded each morning with the smaltalk programs I wrote. I was part of an Alan Key research project, I came to learn about many years later.
Then in 1979 I got a very early Atari 800. Only 8K, CTIA, with the larger square 410. I was so excited to have my own computer, and in my own house!! I Read and learned Atari Basic in a night!! A couple years later, I drove to Atari in Sunnyvale, (about 5 miles)and upgraded to a GTIA, and got 2 16K modules. Then a little while later, came the 810 !! Major speed improvement!
I think late 1984, 85(?) I got one of the first 1040ST's. I remember saying to myself it was really cool to have a mouse again, thinking back to my ALTO summer. That was an odd thought since the ST was only the 3rd home machine to come out with a mouse. Then came the x86 stuff.
I still use my Falcon, 1200xl every week!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

@KLund1

you work/study at Xerox PARC? COOL! :)

do you know that Alan Kay work for Atari in early 80s?

"The Birth of the Fantasy Amplifier" by Howard Rheingold - http://www.rheingold.com/texts/tft/11.html

in basic, some people believe that work on computers at Xerox PARC destroy true possibilities of computers - Xerox did hire lot of Douglas Engelbart colleagues from NLS project but they (Xerox) did not pursue original Douglas E. agenda: to use computers to make "collective IQ" but they made computers to become "simulator of paper" because they were photocopying company, and until today (30+ years later) we are still stuck with this Xerox paradigm, not Douglas Engelbart! :(
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lschafroth »

My first computer was a HeathKit H80 that I built with my father in 1981. The screen and keyboard were one unit and the 5 1/4" floppy drives were in a seperate case. (later became hard drive case for my ST)
We soldered every component on the boards, assembled is, flashed the BIOS and ran CPM on it.

Then the Spectrum, then Atari 400, Atari 800XL, then Atari 130XE. I used that through college dialing all the BBS systems in 1986.

Then I jumped to the 520ST and upgrade to a 1040ST. Ran PCDitto hardware, then ICD adapter and hard drive. (using old heathkit case)

Manage 1000+ Mac computers at work. Come home to Windows 7 that just works! Mac os is pretty but VERY, VERY, VERY unreliable and not very consistent.

Lannie
KLund1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by KLund1 »

calimero wrote:@KLund1
you work/study at Xerox PARC? COOL! :)
I was just there in a summer school program in 4th grade.
Yes I did. But when I was at PARC I may or may not have met him. All the people there were just big adults getting the way of my turtle, drawing pictures on the ground, that I programed.
Side note to PARC: My mother's best friend IS Bob Taylor's (original PARC boss) ex-wife. Oh, the stories I'm not allowed to tell about Bob would cruel your toes. He was a visionary at work, but all the rest would make a great Biography Channel 2 hour Special !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But back to this thread.
Somewhere in the mid-80's I had a Sinclair ZX80 (the white one)
Also in high school, I used a TRS-80 model I, then III. For a couple months in '84 had an HP-83, neat but useless in high school. My school also had an HP 9845. That was fun to use, but old. It had cool little tape cassettes for storage. They made a sound like a small jet taking off when doing a full wind. I got to use an HP 3000 once in a while at my Dad's office during Jr. high school. It was NOT user friendly. I never ever used an Apple II, or Mac. For some reason I never knew anyone that had one. I still haven't used one. Wouldn't even know where the power switch is on them :) I hear they were popular, though :)
So here is my list in somewhat chronological order:

TTY to mainframe
Alto
Atari 800
HP 3000
Sinclair ZX80
TRS Model I
HP 9845
TRS Model III
HP-83
Atari 1040ST
x86
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

KLund1 wrote:
Yes I did. But when I was at PARC I may or may not have met him. All the people there were just big adults getting the way of my turtle, drawing pictures on the ground, that I programed.
"The first revolutionary learning instrument introduced in LOGO was the "turtle," a device that is part machine and part metaphor. The original LOGO turtle was a small robot, controlled by the computer and programmed by the child, that could be instructed to move around, pulling a pen as it moved, drawing intriguing patterns on paper in the process."

http://www.rheingold.com/texts/tft/11.html

:)
KLund1 wrote:Side note to PARC: My mother's best friend IS Bob Taylor's (original PARC boss) ex-wife. Oh, the stories I'm not allowed to tell about Bob would cruel your toes. He was a visionary at work, but all the rest would make a great Biography Channel 2 hour Special !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! You should write about Bob Taylor! He is one of most important figure at creating computer world. I read that he was backing Douglas Engelbart NLS project but later, by Ted Nelson words, he was main "offender" for making computers to become a "simulators of paper" and not real tools for augmenting human intellect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6SUOeAqOjU
KLund1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by KLund1 »

calimero wrote:
Wow! You should write about Bob Taylor! He is one of most important figure at creating computer world. I read that he was backing Douglas Engelbart NLS project but later, by Ted Nelson words, he was main "offender" for making computers to become a "simulators of paper" and not real tools for augmenting human intellect.
Negative on writing about Bob T.
His attorneys are stronger the mine, by 2 or 3 magnitudes in $$$. But I will out live Bob, and my mom. These stories will get out somehow, but later.

Your link is interesting. Listened to him for all episodes. He has good points, but a bit narrow on some subject topics. (no flame here, new topic only)

Back to thread: Others
Please list your "Before ST" life

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”