Amigas which one?

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Amigas which one?

Post by rocket-dog »

There always appear to be a good number of ok-ish Amigas on e-bay. If next year I wanted to buy one which model should I look for and how much?
ppera

Re: Amigas which one?

Post by ppera »

Amiga 3000.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

I've got a 4000 sat on a shelf which, when I find some spare time, will get it set up, install my bought copy of WHDLoad and have some fun.

Amiga 1200 *minimum* with a decent sized h/drive and >2Mb RAM expansion. Then go and buy a copy of WHDLoad :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

muguk wrote:I've got a 4000 sat on a shelf which, when I find some spare time, will get it set up, install my bought copy of WHDLoad and have some fun.

Amiga 1200 *minimum* with a decent sized h/drive and >2Mb RAM expansion. Then go and buy a copy of WHDLoad :)
When I saw you had posted here I thought I was in trouble......

I could google it, but it would destroy the conversational flow, what is WHDLoad?

My reason for asking about Amigas it perhaps is the only real alternative as well supported retro-machine. I will never do anything serious with my Ataris, so to keep the interest in retro going in would be nice to have another machine I can explore and compare (and contrast) with the Ataris. And if I am asking daft questions about Amigas on another forum I am not upsetting people here asking daft questions.......... :mrgreen:

(Though I have promised myself a Tandy 102 from the States early next year. Wanted one as soon as played with one in the local Tandy. Shame I am not doing an IT elective next semester, turning up with one of those would make 'em laugh...)
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

WHDload is the best £15 you'll ever spend so long as you've got a h/drive for your Amiga. There's teams and teams of people (and individuals, natch) who spend their days making sure as many of the older games run on the more modern h/ware. A bit like what Klaz & Dbug do for the Atari series. Olde worlde games which only work on the A500 machines and 'persuaded' to work on the more modern machines which, due to sloppy coding or lazyitis, wouldn't work for love nor money on the newer machines.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
d0us
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by d0us »

Amiga 1200.

Its prett easy to install workbench and whdload on you pc using winuae onto a flash card then slot it into the amiga.

The problem is finding accelerators so I can install more ram for whdload....

I can't believe commodore crippled the 1200 to 2mb like that....
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

muguk wrote:WHDload is the best £15 you'll ever spend so long as you've got a h/drive for your Amiga. There's teams and teams of people (and individuals, natch) who spend their days making sure as many of the older games run on the more modern h/ware. A bit like what Klaz & Dbug do for the Atari series. Olde worlde games which only work on the A500 machines and 'persuaded' to work on the more modern machines which, due to sloppy coding or lazyitis, wouldn't work for love nor money on the newer machines.
Thanks! Back in the day I was only interested in the Amiga because of Tripos. Sloppy coding used to earn me a good chunk of my pay; no not my coding but getting called out to save the day when somebody else's sloppy code collapsed.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

d0us wrote:Amiga 1200.

Its prett easy to install workbench and whdload on you pc using winuae onto a flash card then slot it into the amiga.

The problem is finding accelerators so I can install more ram for whdload....

I can't believe commodore crippled the 1200 to 2mb like that....
2mb? I can't cope with that much memory. My Mega having 1mb is giving me a nose bleed... :)
Last edited by rocket-dog on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

A1200 is really the only Amiga worth buying for occasional use. It has AGA (256 colour modes) and an 020 CPU plus IDE controller for laptop hard drives and PCMCIA for wireless ethernet. And in the UK they are relatively inexpensive.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

Going off to check if A1200 will fit under my Mega; you watch the dimensions be at odds. (Oh I don't mean an exact fit, just to see if it will stack.)
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

A1200 is wedge shaped like ST. While it might fit size wise, (for shelves) it wont balance stacked under a MegaST.
manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

I took out my Amiga 1200 out of the box today. Great machine. Plus, you can still find peripherals for it much easier than any other Amiga like USB interfaces and stuff.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

alexh wrote:A1200 is wedge shaped like ST. While it might fit size wise, (for shelves) it wont balance stacked under a MegaST.
Thanks! I didn't know what configuration it was. Went off and had a look at one on the web but didn't come back and edit my post.

There is a really nice one on e-bay at the moment. But I think it will go for a fortune. And it will be probably subject to one of those annoying bidding wars which won't win unless you are sitting online at the sale closes.

But I think I have more chance of getting Amiga than another bigger Atari.

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”