The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Xerus

Re: The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Post by Xerus »

Welcome compatriote :)
gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by gilles504 »

wongck wrote: There's a thread on Atari st series computers conversion PC, may be useful for you to browse.
I've read this thread month ago while trying to find if someone already did the conversion
http://www.silicium.org/forum/viewtopic ... 44&t=27668
Last week I got a very small VIA C3 pc motherboard + internal Power supply, I wanted an original case.

case is not cleaned for now and I have a better keyboard for it.

(I tried to post in the original subject but it was not approved (nor disapproved) for now :) )
cpt stark
Atarian
Atarian

Post by cpt stark »

hi all

me i play games, simple as that. i tryed uni and work , didnt like it so games it is.
i had an atari 520stfm back in the day (i upgraded it to 4 meg) , moved over to pc's (self builds) in the mid 90's
since games are been being made for monkeys these days (the less intelegent ones at that) i started trying emulators.
qiute quickly i remembered what good games actualy were so i ebayed me up an st again.
while looking for various snippets of info i came across this site repetedly , so here i am.
Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Retrogamer_ST »

Well, i'm here mainly because of nostalgia. I have owned most of the old computers and game consoles, from Channel F, Odyssey II, Atari 800 and so on. I was mad about computer magz and bought most of them in the 80's and 90's, from Your Sinclair to ST Format, Gamepro, Commodore User or CVG. After Nintendo 64 i lost interest for computer gaming when all games became big expensive (cold unhuman) polygon creations made by big and rich companies like EA or Sony. Then both the feeling and fun was lost for me. Saying that as a Ridge Racer, Fighters Megamix, Robotron 64, Rush II and Tekken Nut. ;)

Atari ST was (is) a great computer that i used for many years making music, playing games and for lots of other stuff. ST Writer Elite, Kuma Data, Spectrum 512, De Luxe Paint, Harlekin, Degas Elite, Aegis Animator, Cubase, TCB Tracker, K Spread, Hyperpaint, Calamus, Hyperdraw, Protext, Fcopy etc was commonly used on my expanded 1040 STE.

Today i use STeem to run all games and applications.

And when i want some arcade action i run MAME.
highlandcattle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by highlandcattle »

Hi, I'm new here! I just got my first ST an 1040STF! Which I got for ten euros. I still need a mouse and a megafile. I'm actually an Amiga head, but because I'm also a 16bit gamer I thought the ST couldn't miss in my collection. I also love Jeff minter and all his stuff. Most versions seem to originate from the ST.

Also psst: I really prefer the ST case design over that of the Amiga 500 much more stylish!

Anyway I'm hoping to have fun here!
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

highlandcattle wrote:Hi, I'm new here! I just got my first ST an 1040STF! Which I got for ten euros. I still need a mouse and a megafile. I'm actually an Amiga head, but because I'm also a 16bit gamer I thought the ST couldn't miss in my collection. I also love Jeff minter and all his stuff. Most versions seem to originate from the ST.

Also psst: I really prefer the ST case design over that of the Amiga 500 much more stylish!

Anyway I'm hoping to have fun here!
Greetings, and welcome aboard! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
koshman
Atariator
Atariator

Post by koshman »

Hi,

Radim here from the Czech Republic.
I'm mainly an Amiga fan, but I'm also into retro computing in general.

My father was always crazy about computers so fortunately since I was 6 or 7 I've been surrounded by computers even though they cost arm and leg here in CZ before the Velvet revolution. First the 8bits - Sharp MZ800 (my dad spent 3 salaries on this at the time :) ), Amstrad CPC, Atari 130XE, Commodore 64(later swapped for the C version). My father then already switched to PC (in 1991 I think). In 1996 or so he got me an Amiga 600 for games, which I enjoyed immensely as it was the first computer that was truly mine.
I later bought more Amigas, sold all of them around 2002 and about 2 years back I returned. Emulation simply cannot replace the real thing.

I've always been aware of the ST as 'the other 16bit' and my friend in high school bought one for music. That was after I already had my A600 so I was sort of experiencing the famous rivalry a few years late :) Anyway I liked the machine, remember how we used to play Flight Simulator II on it, but then I went to college and only seen the guy a few times since (interestingly he became a professional musician and I think the ST must have contributed to it in a way).

In the meantime I became really interested in retro video consoles, computers etc. I enjoyed using Hatari on my Palm Tungsten, especially for playing Sundog: Frozen Legacy, which was one of the ST exclusives that I always missed on the Amiga.
A year or so ago I became really interested in the Falcon and later convinced myself that I needed to have one (I have to admit that its relative rarity and the high prices it still fetches on ebay contributed to my lust after it :) ). Finally I bought one on German ebay yesterday. It wasn't cheap, but I'm really excited about finally having my own Atari and looking forward to exploring 'the dark side of the force'. I'm sure it will stand proud next to my Amigas :)

By the way, like highlandcattle above me, I've always considered the sharp angular lines of an Atari ST case better looking than the wedge Amigas :)

Anyway looking forward to having lots of fun with my new soon-to-be-delivered Falcon!
Atari Falcon - 14MB RAM, 8GB CF, HxC SD Floppy emulator, Micromys v3
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

Welcome Koshman, great to hear your story and I hope the fun continues!
tá'n poc ar buile!
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Welcome to the forum guys.
Hope you all will enjoy both MC68K machines for a long time. :D
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
31336haxx0r
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by 31336haxx0r »

Hey folks!

I'm from Germany and into Ataris for some 25 years now, starting with a trusty 8 bit XE my father bought back then. Years ago, I owned a 1040STE but sold it. Yellow_Colorz_PDT_32 Recently, I aquired a lot of STs at epay and now I have an STE again. :D Some may perhaps know me from atariage, where I'm active, too. Regarding my unusual user name, it's because I enjoy hardware hacking. :cheers:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

Welcome to the forum and good to hear of one of the longer serving ST fans! :cheers:
llamapants
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by llamapants »

Hello there....

I'm Chris and I'm from Nottingham, England. Recently turned 40 (as in yesterday!)

I started my computer life back in 1986, when I was given a huge powerhouse for Christmas....a Sinclair ZX81 :) 'Upgraded' to a Spectrum 48k rubber relic job, the following year. Happy days they were...tape loading games & spending hours typing programs/games from the magazines of the day (Your Sinclair, etc). And then having a mardy, because they wouldn't run!! (Normally a typo error -- either me, or in the mag) :)

Moved up to a 128k+ with built in tape deck & not long after that, bought a 128+3 with the built in floppy disk drive. I was 'reet chuffed' with it. :D

Zooming on a bit, I bought my first 520ST when I was 17. Cacked me pants on the bus bringing it home, 'cos of all the envious looks I was getting :lol: Kept my little monster for years & years & bought just about every book & magazine available at the time. I couldn't wait for Saturday mornings to come round, so I could catch a bus in to town and go along to the ST Club. I've still got some of their disks...and they still work! :)

I bought a 520STE a few years later and then I bought a 1040STE, which I upgraded to a whopping great 4MB RAM....I felt like Superman when I switched it on :lol:

I then dabbled in the dark side for a while....no, not fags, booze & marriage, i mean Amigas 8O. I never really enjoyed/understood them like ST's and by this time I had bought my 1st PC, with Windows 98, 256MB RAM, 40GB H/D, for a staggering £1800 :!:

I carried on using me ST on & off and even bought a job lot of Atari ST stuff off ebay (Peugeot 405 estate filled from top to bottom. front to back). I spent quite some time sorting through this little lot and sold most of it on. In the meantime, I was upgrading/replacing the PC and eventually the ST got boxed up & left in a corner.

A few years ago, I got the urge to dig the ST out & play a few of my old favourites.... loads better than faffing about with emulators, methinks. Also, ran a few of the more serious things I used to use daily, like Personal Finance Manager....How long did I spend copying my bank statements over, line by line? :)

I dabbled with a Mega STE last year that proved to be suffering with old age & 'rust/mould infection'. I am currently running a 520STE with 4MB RAM and enjoying playing all the games I kept & looking through the stack of floppies, for nostaligic purposes.
520 STe 4MB / Ultrasatan with 2GB SD card / Third Coast 1GB Hard Drive/CD-Writer combi unit
Print Technik Professional Scanner II (Flatbed type)
HP Deskjet 960c Inkjet / Citizen Swift 240c Colour Printer / Brand Spanking New Star LC-10 printer
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Welcome to the Forum! :)
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

Great opening post there Chris which I really enjoyed reading. I'm the same age as you but got into computers in the late 1970s, but did not own one until 1983 with a ZX Spectrum. I'm amazed that in 1986 your first was a ZX81! I'm also impressed at how you stayed with the Sinclair line to it's end with the +3; you only missed out on a ZX80 and a QL for a full suite! :lol:

I also felt like a king when I installed 4MB into my STE back in 1998 and wondered how I would fill it, and then a mere two years later my uncle donated his old PC with approx 64MB and instantly it felt tiny and in need of an immediate upgrade, which I did to around 96MB or something.
llamapants
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by llamapants »

Shredder11 wrote: I'm amazed that in 1986 your first was a ZX81!
Thanks for your reply

Well, back in those days, I was the youngest in a household of 7!! Whilst we didn't live a paupers life, money wasn't in abundance. Most of the my early computers were either hand me downs from my older brothers, or my Dad bought them off one of the neighbours/friends at work. This was better than having a brand new computer for Chrimbo, 'cos at least I ended up with boxes & boxes of games, books & magazines, rather than just a basic (but new) computer.
Shredder11 wrote:you only missed out on a ZX80 and a QL for a full suite!
Spookily enough, I am actually perusing fleabay at the mo' to buy the full suite of Sinclair computers :lol:

One major regret I have at the minute is selling all of my Spectrum/ST/Amiga stuff years ago....especially with some of the prices being charged at present :( Oh well, I suppose I wanted/needed the money & room at the time.

Anyhoo, I'm glad to be living in a Retropolis now and can relive my 'yoof' :D
520 STe 4MB / Ultrasatan with 2GB SD card / Third Coast 1GB Hard Drive/CD-Writer combi unit
Print Technik Professional Scanner II (Flatbed type)
HP Deskjet 960c Inkjet / Citizen Swift 240c Colour Printer / Brand Spanking New Star LC-10 printer
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

My first ZX Spectrum in 1983 was bought as a present by my uncle. My second micro I bought myself in 1987 from my mum's mail order catalogue, at a cost of £2 per week for two whole years! It was an Amstrad CPC464 with MP-1 colour RF modulator box. My third micro was a 1040STE and SM124 monitor from a friend in 1994, as he needed the money towards a Mk2 Land Rover he wanted. Anyway like you I am also planning on getting the full Sinclair suite! So far I have a couple of ZX81; a ZX Spectrum 48K (series 2); a ZX Spectrum+ 128K (I fried it two weeks after buying it :( ); a ZX Spectrum +3. As well as a rubber 48K model, I had the + 48K, due to taking back about three or four faulty rubber key models under guarantee between 1984 and 1985.
PZAWAFR
Atarian
Atarian

Post by PZAWAFR »

Hello everybody !
I'm from France, 30, married and one child.
I'm an Amiga fan (My first computer was an Amiga 500). But don't banned me immediately ! :mrgreen:
Mainly, I'm a retro-computing fan and I have an enormous respect for Atari, for its machines (XL/ST/Falcon), for Atari coders and
i don't forget that Atari/Commodore/Amiga have a common history.
Even i know little about ST (i know little more about Atari XL 8 bits) I want to discover him.
:)
CarlR
Atariator
Atariator

Post by CarlR »

OK, apparently I need to make three posts so I'll make one to introduce myself.

I'm Carl from Sweden. 39 years old and got my first Atari in 1989, a 1040 STfm. Used it to make music via its MIDI interface, and also a little bit of gaming. In 1992 when I wanted to upgrade to the new version of Cubase which required 2 megs of RAM my father agreed to buy a Mega STE with 2 megs and a 48 meg hard drive. I felt I got a monster machine. After I moved out my father kept using it for Band-in-a-box for another decade. In 2006 I finally brought it to my home and started upgrading it. I put in 4 megs of RAM and a 1 GB hard disk.

It hasn't been used much the last few years but I recently brouhgt it out again to practice some C programming. I do find the hard disk a bit noisy though, so right now my quest is to make it quiet somehow. I'd like to make it a solid state Atari. The Ultrasatan seems to fit the bill but right now it doesn't seem to be available to buy. Some sort of card reader without having to do any soldering in the original parts, is what I'm looking for.

Regards,
Carl
Mega STE, now solid state and quiet.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Welcome !!!

right now, there is a possible run on ACSI-SCSI adapters, read this thread here.
It's now as easy as the Ultrasatan as you need to chain a SCSI hard disk or SCSI card reader.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
CarlR
Atariator
Atariator

The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Post by CarlR »

Thanks.

Yes, I've already been in touch with the German gentleman so hopefully I can get one of those once it's ready.
Mega STE, now solid state and quiet.
purplerose
Atarian
Atarian

Post by purplerose »

HI!
I'm new and a big fan! I still hope to learn a bit from the pros here.
I'm 30 and from Nottingham. Pleased to meet everyone :cheers:
Mad-Man
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Mad-Man »

Greetings from Greece.
I'm new here and i think you have an amazing forum.
I have 4 Atari's but i usually use two of them.
Greetings again.
ruthless
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by ruthless »

Not been on in some time, but heard some count zero music on you tube this morning and brought back a lot of awesome memories

Big hello to all members :D
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Greetings, and (re)Greetings! :)
Shed Bloke
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Shed Bloke »

Hi
I'm Olly Harlow, 50yrs old and I'm more into Hardware than I am into Software. I don't write S/W much, if possible, but I do like playing Games. Hence my decision back in 1981 to buy an Atari 400 rather than wait for the obligatory BBC Micro. I'm glad I did, it was a blinding machine and Star Raiders was the best thing around! :D
I'm afraid I subsequently migrated across to the Amiga A500 later before the final plunge into the maelstrom of "PC"s.
However, I started my Computing life working on an old Elliott 903 we had a school in the late 70's which I subsequently saved from the skip when the Beebs finally arrived. Almost 30 years later, Feb last year, I donated that 903 to The National Museum of Computing and joined up as a Volunteer there to "Lead" the restoration team (sort of! :oops: ). We got it up and running by the end of the year and now the guys interested in fiddling about with the S/W side of things are popping up so I decided to take on another challenge.
So, following my computer past, I have decided to "Lead" the restoration and maintenance of our smallish Atari collection - firstly by donating my old 400. I'm not an expert on Ataris in general by any means but the work is more about cataloging, cleaning and generally "sorting stuff out". I've located about 20 computers of various sorts so far, for example.
You'll be glad to know that - although there is a vague tendency to prefer British exhibits - we now have that 400 playing PacMan in the 8 Bit Gallery (a "hands on" exhibit). There's also an unpowered 520STFM on the shelves there and a Portfolio in one of the cabinets. For the immediate future there is also a 520STFM as part of a Jack Tramiel exhibit in the foyer (along with a PET 2001 and C64, well, had to 8) ).

Anyhoo, I thought I ought to join here, do some lurking maybe, introduce myself and add a bit of advertising for the Museum (of course! :lol: )

Be sure to expect some dumb questions from me at some point about some of the stuff, I guess. Feel free to come and visit the Museum too of course, opening times are on the website and, sorry, yes, we now charge for entry.
Olly
Volunteers Association of The National Museum of Computing
Team Lead : Elliott 903, Teletypes, Atari
http://www.tnmoc.org/
[TNMoC: 1x400, 2x800, 3x800XL, 2x65XE, 3x520STFM, 2x1040STF, 1x1040STFM, 2x520STE, 1x1040STE, 1xTT030, 1xPortfolio, 1xPC-3, 2x2600, 2x XEGS]

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”