No more wireless 802.11

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

No more wireless 802.11

Post by techie_alison »

Thank God!!

I've just gone back to wires, as enough is enough. Well it's not quite wires, it's those Devolo Mains Networking things. And while doing the benchmarks with some 100MB movie files, well let's just say that I don't have the wireless benchmarks as it kept on losing connection every time. The Devolo is rock solid.

A few years back I went wireless. This was in a house with no other surrounding networks. All well and good yes. Then we moved. The house we're in now is wireless city. Let's just put it this way, whenever our ADSL connection has gone down we've never been without the Internet. There's about 5 or 6 networks, and they're just the ones I can see without trying.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=27m6

This mains network is copying data from my PII-266/64MB NT server at about 1.2MB/s. Which is perfectly acceptable for me, as it doesn't drop the connection.

The biggest problem when developing code is that I often (used to) use more than one PC. The source would be stored on the server etc. etc. And in the last year or so it's been a real real problem. As the wireless connection just continually drops once placed under any load. The 802.11g router is on floor 1, I'm on floor 3.

Anyway...

#1 BT Voyager 205 ADSL model (floor1)
#2 Linksys 802.11g router/4 port 10/100 switch (floor1)
#3 Devolo 85Mb/s link1 (floor1)
#4 Devolo 85Mb/s link2 (floor3)
#5 Netgear 10/100 switch (floor3)

This is brilliant!!! I'm wired again and it doesn't drop!!
belboz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by belboz »

Glad to hear the new setup is working!

At our old house I had about 75% running wired, with a couple things running on 802.11n (pre-n). Wireless stuff was a laptop, palmtop, and my oldest daughter's computer up in her room.

We built a new house last year so I had 2 Cat 5e lines run to pretty much every room (along with phone, and multiple RG6 lines).

The wiring guys thought I was crazy when they were putting it in, but everybody in the house loves having ample network, phone , and video lines pretty much everywhere.

So everything in this house is wired now. The palmtop is really the only wireless device anymore (although the laptop can be when taking it outside, etc).

Next thing I want to do is get a 24 port or so gigabit ethernet switch!
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

Wires are:
-cheap
-reliable
-fast
-non-carcinogenic

Make the switch from your cruddy old wireless to new wired technology today!

I'll admit though, the remote for my VCR is wireless :roll:
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by PaulB »

Well my webserver, for pure speed and reliability is wired and the pc I use from day to day is also wired. Both are on a Gigabit lan. We have laptops too and pocket pc's which use the wireless network. Although perfectly setup they've always had the occasional problem such as not being able to connect from bootup or simply dropping their connection. People on the net are saying that the amount of electromagnetic radiation from a wireless network is unacceptable and could be dangerous. What do you guys think?
techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Post by techie_alison »

I think that there may be truth to this EM story.

In the early 2000's I used a mobile phone alot where I'd be on it for like an hour at a time doing support calls. The side of my head would like kind of radiate if you know what I mean, a kind of warm toastied feeling. After I would also feel maybe slightly confused, else maybe that could be the joy of getting the annoying bastards finally off the phone. I don't know :-)

Where we are know, we almost feel worn out alot of the time. When we went up to Edinburgh and stayed in a B+B we felt alive. Again, when we go to my parent's in the country.

I think that there may be some truth in it. C'mon, it's only taken them 400-years to finally admit that smoking might be bad for you.

Let's face it, with the amount of stray EM flying about we shouldn't even need electricity!! I think they've already proven that you can light an LED or something just from the EM around us.

I want to live in the countryside.
unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Post by unseenmenace »

techie_alison wrote:I want to live in the countryside.
Sounds good to me, maybe I could join you :wink:

Incidentally how many times have you changed your Avatar recently? 8)

Seriously though I have actually started to get a bit paranoid about this and keep the WiFi on my router turned off unless Jenn has got her PC out and needs it on (mine is wired obviously :) ).
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com
techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Post by techie_alison »

lol.

oh the avatar. Dunno really. Have given up on that.

You know, one wifi device I think is fine. It's just when you're surrounded by them. Us and the neighbours all have 2.4Ghz DECT phones, that's 3. There's (hold on..) 7 SEVEN wireless networks.

At least 10 wireless 2.4Ghz devices around me right now. I just have that heavy headed feeling all of the time except when I'm not here. It goes within say 2-3 hours.

We have our suspicions anyway, so you're not alone.. I don't care what companies or governments say.

Oh, and I also feel it a bit when I go down to London.
Dew-It
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Dew-It »

techie_alison wrote:lol.

oh the avatar. Dunno really. Have given up on that.

You know, one wifi device I think is fine. It's just when you're surrounded by them. Us and the neighbours all have 2.4Ghz DECT phones, that's 3. There's (hold on..) 7 SEVEN wireless networks.

At least 10 wireless 2.4Ghz devices around me right now. I just have that heavy headed feeling all of the time except when I'm not here. It goes within say 2-3 hours.

We have our suspicions anyway, so you're not alone.. I don't care what companies or governments say.

Oh, and I also feel it a bit when I go down to London.
I like your current avatar Allison. Are you a red head? Your hair looks red in this Avatar.
Have you played Atari Today?
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

I think I should make a house out of Tin shielding :-)
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Sarek »

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by PaulB »

Reminds me of 'Eon Flux'. Although not the best of films the storyline was that the radiation from modern technology was making people sterile.
Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Sarek »

PaulB wrote:Reminds me of 'Eon Flux'. Although not the best of films the storyline was that the radiation from modern technology was making people sterile.
I think it is true :)

Or it might just be from the extended hours sat scrunched up on swivel chairs :wink:
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

PaulB wrote:Reminds me of 'Eon Flux'. Although not the best of films the storyline was that the radiation from modern technology was making people sterile.
Haven't seen the film but I assume it's based on the cartoon Aeon Flux which used to be shown on MTV back when they had clever stuff now and then (like the Head...). Interesting, if occasionally disturbing (in one episode she's cloned and tries to free the trapped clone or something, but ends up sacrificing herself instead.... or something).

Interesting to hear powerline networking has come along - last I'd heard of it, admittedly 4 years ago, they were only reporting speeds of 3-4mbits.
85mbits is fairly decent. :)
tá'n poc ar buile!
Carbon
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Carbon »

Most wireless problems are caused by other networks using the same channel number. Switch to another channel, and it should be better.
Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Sarek »

Just out of interest, when did powerline networking first start?
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

Sarek wrote:Just out of interest, when did powerline networking first start?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance

The Homeplug stuff goes back to 2001, so it was at least commercially available from then or earlier. I remember reading some of the HPA literature back in about 2002, too.
tá'n poc ar buile!
Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Sarek »

The reason I asked is because in 1995 I came up with the idea of using the mains for computer networking and described it to my school physics teacher about using a small series capacitor to filter a data signal from the power lines. He said that it wouldn't work due to both signal degradation and the amount of noise and voltage spikes on the mains. Obviously he was wrong :)

I came up with the idea after my school shelled out for a load of nimbus's and after seeing how every machine had both a mains cable and a network cable, I thought that the mains wires could carry the network signals to save on cabling, and to have it conveniently routed everywhere the mains went.

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”