The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

dma
Atari God
Atari God

Re: The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Post by dma »

Rustynutt wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:01 pm Im using gray hair for wires now at 65 today!
Ahah nice. :D
barristr
Atarian
Atarian

Post by barristr »

I haven’t been called a kid in a VERY long time. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling….. :D
Rarkhaan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Rarkhaan »

Hi everyone,

Introducing myself to the Atari Forum community.
I am 48, living In France.
My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81. I crossed Atari ST computers back In 1986.
Today I am the happy owner of 1 x 520STE, 1x1040STE and 1xMegaSTE all of them being equipped with 4Mb of RAM and various mods like multi-tos, external drive boot selector as many add-ons like Spectre GCR and SuperCharger.

Happy to join the community to learn more about Atari and humbly share some experiences.

Cheers
BarLuk
Atarian
Atarian

Post by BarLuk »

Hello everyone,

I am a "very long time reader", but now I felt the need to register and maybe participate in some topics.

Born in 1979, bought my first computer, an Atari 1040STe in 1991. Wanted to but a second hand C64 at first but my parent's neighbour convinced me to buy Atari instead. He runned a local offset printing shop, so in a few years I got addicted to Calamus and even bought a TT. Instead of working at a supermarket or something my partime job was at my parent's neighbors.

At the time of Atari's demise I bought a second hand falcon, not in a great shape. It went faulty, I started fiddling with a soldering iron which made matters worse; at the end it was only a bead to the keyboard that was defect, but I suspected the MC68901 chip at first and I screwed up the board a bit.

At 2002 I managed to but a falcon in a mint condition. But I didn't do much with that machine; I graduated as a bachelor in computer engineering at that time, but then I became depressed because I could not find a nice job as an engineer.

Fast forward: Now I have a happy job as a PCB designer. PCB design is my expertise, but only the PCB design, not the engineering and schematic design that precedes the PCB design. It's my job to turn a schematic in a first time right (as reasonably possible) PCB design. Happy with my job, a little less at my personal live. Stil single at age 42, often a bit jealous at those with wife and kids. But then again... I see a lot of people getting divorced and having troubled relationships, so maybe I should be careful with what I wish for.

I am living in the Netherlands. with the pandemic, I decided to take a short vacation with my parents. Mood set "just like when I was a kid". I remembered that it wasn't always fun, me as a spoiled adolescent whining that I had to go with them and could not take my computer with me, and looking for local atari dealers who were already scares in the mid 90's. So now, 2021, we went to a cost town in the Netherlands, rented a cottage for a week, had to pick up the keys... Across the street's there was a "multimedia" shop. From a distance I saw a old (the first CRT-) iMac. So I went to take a look. I could not believe my eyes. As if I was in some weird dream. In the window, or actually, a bit hidden between the two shop windows, there was a pile of 4x atari 1040's. wait... on a closer look, the one on the bottom was a Falcon. I went to talk to the owner. He got them from a friend. They collected a lot of dust, one had the floppy drive removed, the falcon did not have the original floppy but a much whiter one. After some talking we agreed that I could buy "one of them" for 100 euro... So I just bought another Falcon in 2021 for only 100 euro.

So now I am here. In retrospect I really regret that I missed out on the 80s and 90s demoscene. It seems that I was just a bit too you (or to occupied with Calamus / part time job) to really get into assembly programming. Who knows... If I can find the time I will to try to make a nice little demo, I would really like to visit something like Silly Venture, but I am not sure if what the community is like nowadays; what the ambiance is like, will I be "accepted" or will I be "just a strange dude"?

I really looked up to mr Czuba at the time when he was designing the CT60. I think I even spoke with him at a fair in Neuss, Germany when he was demonstrating the Phenix that sadly never made it into production. Now, I regret that it seems that I am too late to the party to get a CT60... or... will there be a new batch of CT60e's? But wait... if not... there is a schematic somewhere floating around on the internet. I could even turn that into a PCB myself ;-) or would that be a "not done"/design license infringement?

In the mean time: If there are some software (/ VHDL) / hardware designers that want to design some hardware but are afraid of the PCB design part: Let me know, if it is a interesting project I might could help you out to turn your design into a "signal integrity / EMC sound" and good manufacturable design (I don't need to make money out of it).
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Great story, like many.
Met my wife in Holland in 2007. She's a Dutchie.
Been there many times. First trek for me was the old stores. Unfortunately I didn't find a Falcon as you did :)
She was born in Epe, lived in Hilversum when we met. She worked for the Dutch Department of Justice Peter Barrn Centrum.
Not finding work there (Weapons simulation tech stuff), we decided she would immigrate from the Netherlands to America, and did so on a visa in 2009.
We now live in Oregon.
Welcome :)
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

BarLuk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:44 pm So I just bought another Falcon in 2021 for only 100 euro.
Welcome.
A Falcon for 100EUR wow 8O .... I wish.... :angel:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

wongck wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:05 am
BarLuk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:44 pm So I just bought another Falcon in 2021 for only 100 euro.
Welcome.
Yeah, that's almost unreal these days! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

DarkLord wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:01 pm
wongck wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:05 am
Welcome.
Yeah, that's almost unreal these days! :)
Not the typical "Dutch" price of things for sure :)
delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by delvis »

Back for the third time. Took a 2016 to 2021 Atari ST break. Now ramping back up.. Blow off the dust and see what has happened in my absence.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
400 / 800/ 1200XL / 800XL /65XE / 130XE
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”