text adventure gaming

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

text adventure gaming

Post by sh3-rg »

i was thinking back to macfalcons posts about his adventure game today. text adventures are something a few of the older rgs think back to fondly... so i did a little searching about. i found an inform compatible zip interpreter for the st that i'd not seen before & then i realised how many little adventures i could have on my st ;) so today i've been playing the inform version of HLA Adventure and now i want some more. so if you have some to recommend I'd like to hear ;)

interpreter : ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/infocom/int ... arizip.zoo

HLA adventure : http://members.tripod.com/~panks/hlainfrm.zip

byez!
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

I fully agree, text adventures offer a unique spirit! I even considered once to write my own.

What about another D-BUG with text adventures on? IIRC I already did send Grazey a few...
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
Showaddywaddy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Showaddywaddy »

simonsunnyboy wrote: What about another D-BUG with text adventures on? IIRC I already did send Grazey a few...
I can't recall you sending me any :( Can you please resend them ? As for D-Bug... no new menu since November 2004 (10 months!)

Shw
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Goldrunner was converting a lot of old adventures to work with the Inform engine - I posted a request here a few weeks ago for a compiled version of the last source code ..

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6967

Pity that the stuff that was being converted ended up being slower than the original 8-bit engine the adventures were taken from .. :(
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Grazey: Hmm, I think I did send you some...at least I remember that I talked to you about that topic. Well if you have interest, I still have the few AGT based adventures around that I had in mind.

Time for a new D-BUG if you ask me :)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Tons of AGT adventures on the Floppyshop disc as well as loads more out there which are released every year for the Interactive Fiction competition.

Surely they'd be better off as non-DBUG disks and released on their own like AL have done with some of the Sierra remakes done?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by PaulB »

I once did a complete port of PAW (Professional Adventure Writer) from the Sinclair Spectrum in GFA basic. It worked really well and allowed you to create your own text adventures. Even made it so you could compile your own games in a standalone program and run it from the desktop. I've still got the source code but it won't load into GFA any more and the computer just hangs up :cry: . I never made a backup of it (was on hard drive) and it's in .GFA format so I can't even salvage anything!
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Same for me with PVK .. the download I did have up on the site of v2.1 is a corrupt file and no-one has ever found a way to rescue the data :(

But I'd have loved to have seen a PAW interpreter / compiler on the ST, might have converted some of my old adventures (if I can find the original cassettes they were stored on!).

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ggn »

muguk wrote:Same for me with PVK .. the download I did have up on the site of v2.1 is a corrupt file and no-one has ever found a way to rescue the data :(

But I'd have loved to have seen a PAW interpreter / compiler on the ST, might have converted some of my old adventures (if I can find the original cassettes they were stored on!).
IIRC, lp (http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/) has lots of hand-on experience with tokenised GFA BASIC files. Perhaps you should mail him (or, as he reads this forum reply here) whether he can help on this.

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^
SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by SkylineDave »

Aah text adventures - in some ways much better than even the most advanced PC or PS2 offerings. I always turn to my Atari 800 emulator to get the best text adventures! :)
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!
Developer of DemoBaseST
PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by PaulB »

I know what you mean. It seems the art of making an atmospheric text based adventure and the solving of elusive cryptic puzzles is a dead art nowadays. I was a major fan of them back in the day but I have to admit that I did resort to the ST News adventure walkthrough sections on more than one occasion.
skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by skeezix »

Just remember that text adventures are still being written today (in TADS and ZMachine/Inform mostly), with Inform/ZMachine being the native tongue of the old Infocom games. So using the ST's port of Zip and Frotz and such, you can play all the old classics as well as the many new ones :)

Text adventures rule :)

But no one will ever top Magnetic Scrolls.. be sure to fire up The Pawn and The Guild of Thieves on the ST :)

jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sh3-rg »

hey jeff,

i've been using the zip port and tried out a few games but i don't have frotz... know where i can get that?

I've never actually played any ST text adventures... if the pawn & guild of thieves are as good as you say then i think that's what i'll have to do!
skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by skeezix »

Check the IFArchive.. if theres a frotz in public, its likely there. I made a really crappy frotz port myself a year or two back but never released it (as it was total crap, jusdt a quickie proof of concept.)

The ST had some great stuff -- obviously the Infocom stuff is slick, but its also available on other platforms (and using things like Frotz you can run the games natively, without going through an emu per se.) However, the ST had a pile of great ones of its own..

Magnetic Scrolls games had _great_ parsers and engines.. and with their static artwork, just looked amazing. At the time, when The Pawn (their first) came out, I was slackjawed for awhile :)

The Pawn and Guild of Thieves (and a few others too!) are very very good.

You can run them natively as well, as they're in a virtual machine like ZMachine(Infocom) as well, but they're best on the ST ;)

Theres also "Breakers", one of the few IF (interactive fiction) games written by a poet laureat; its very good if I rememer correctly, though no artwork :)

The ST was well served in this niche :)

jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

ggn wrote:
muguk wrote:Same for me with PVK .. the download I did have up on the site of v2.1 is a corrupt file and no-one has ever found a way to rescue the data :(

IIRC, lp (http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/) has lots of hand-on experience with tokenised GFA BASIC files. Perhaps you should mail him (or, as he reads this forum reply here) whether he can help on this.

George
I just rescued PVK at muguk's request, well what I could of it. It appears to be fairly intact, but since I didn't code it, I am not sure.

I'd be willing to take a look at PualB's "adventure creation tool" that won't load and see if I can rescue that as well. Now is a good time, as I have some psuedo automated tools for repair after working with the PVK files.

To PaulB, if you want to, just visit my site, goto the contact page and mail me the file. :)
skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by skeezix »

Offtopic..

Interesting. I started to write a GFA Basic interpreter for other platforms (ie: portable), so run old BBS games directly on a telnet port without emulation etc, but lost interest after awhile as I couldn't be botherted to figure out the format of protected files or pure gfa files.. I coudl only deal with .lst type text exported files for my interp...

Natch, you could open up many gfa files to export them manually, but some were protected. I don't know how they did the protection.. didn't look into it, but likely lost the variable names and such, but might still be usable.

jeff
--
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

skeezix wrote:Offtopic..

Interesting. I started to write a GFA Basic interpreter for other platforms (ie: portable), so run old BBS games directly on a telnet port without emulation etc, but lost interest after awhile as I couldn't be botherted to figure out the format of protected files or pure gfa files.. I coudl only deal with .lst type text exported files for my interp...

Natch, you could open up many gfa files to export them manually, but some were protected. I don't know how they did the protection.. didn't look into it, but likely lost the variable names and such, but might still be usable.

jeff
Such files can be unprotected. I can undo such files. The method used is really simple. The symbol tables are gone, as in the variable names. However once, unprotected it's not to hard to figure out what the names should be, maybe. Depends on the complexity of the program. :)
farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: text adventure gaming

Post by farvardin »

it's quite an old thread, but if you're interested, you can find many interactive fiction games on disk images on this website:
http://atariforce.free.fr/txtad_fr.htm (some are old, others are more recent, in the 90' for ex)
skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: text adventure gaming

Post by skeezix »

Looks like (by name anyway) a lot of those are relatively recent entries in the IF-competition; I guess someone has been putting them onto ST disks lately? Cool :)

jeff
--

Return to “Games - General”