Games that spectacularly fail to live up to billing....

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Fatberg
Atarian
Atarian

Games that spectacularly fail to live up to billing....

Post by Fatberg »

I’ve been playing Battlemaster recently, one of my favourite games from back in the day. It’s a tough game, so I never got very far back then, but I’m not far off completing it this time around.

One thing struck me though- the box art has impressive screen shots from the ‘Atari ST version’ one of which shows a dragon at the Mount Fang stage. Lo and behold, I reached Mount Fang the other day, nearly 30 years after first playing the game... only to be confronted with the message ‘the dragon is away’ and a rather disappointing little scorpion in its place. I was gutted!

Are there any other ST games that are disappointingly not ‘as advertised’?
Last edited by Fatberg on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari 4mb 1040STe+ Ultrasatan+ Goex; Atari 520 stfm; Greaseweasle F7 plus
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Games that spectacularly fail to live up to billing....

Post by Mug UK »

Outrun.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Cogweasel »

Psygnosis Barbarian had screenshots from rooms that didn't exist. But of course the controls were so utterly hopeless that the odds of me ever finding out back in the day was pretty much zero :)! Still loved the game though, since it looked and sounded amazing and was also one of my first ST games :)...
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Street Fighter II, of course, and it wasn't even me who bought it. :D
emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by emcclariion »

Mug UK wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:05 amOutrun.
It was better than the Amiga version :)
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

I know its not an ST game, please forgive me, but its too hilarious not to tell...

BMX Racers for the C64 by Mastertronic:

Apparently, there was an initial version that seemed much better and was pulled (for some reason) and replaced with the one I had. Both versions were designed by the Darling brothers. Maybe on the second attempt they must have presumed that nobody was going to play for more than a couple of minutes, because if you did, the screen would start to fill with what I can only imagine is garbage/random memory contents scrolling down the playfield. Perhaps this was a 'feature?' *

Alternatively, maybe I had a dicky cassette, or my VICII chip was a bit iffy? Im pretty sure it was the game that was at fault though, judging by other online comments of game crashing on later levels and such.

Failing to 'live up to the billing' in this instance, means failing to keep itself in good running order.

* A feature is often a programmer/electronic engineers way of passing off an embarrasing bug/kludge in a positive way.
Last edited by mrbombermillzy on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am * A feature is often a programmer/electronic engineers way of passing off an embarrasing bug/kludge in a positive way.
Reads game's back cover blurbs:
  • Thrilling action: Are you lucky enough to survive the random crash?!
Oh.
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

dma wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:47 pm
mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am * A feature is often a programmer/electronic engineers way of passing off an embarrasing bug/kludge in a positive way.
Reads game's back cover blurbs:
  • Thrilling action: Are you lucky enough to survive the random crash?!
Oh.
:lol: I cannot say anything that will better that comment right there! :thumbs:

Surely someone else must have encountered this game? Apparently, it was one of Mastertronics top sellers at the time (circa 300,000 sold!?!)...

Aah! The eighties! :D
Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Post by Marcer »

Power drive. Loved the arcade
Shinobi.. sms version is the best doh
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

dma wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:52 am Street Fighter II, of course, and it wasn't even me who bought it. :D
Interestingly, I have quite enjoyed SF2 on the ST. But I had never played the arcade version or any other version for that matter. ;-)
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

mikro wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 am
dma wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:52 am Street Fighter II, of course, and it wasn't even me who bought it. :D
Interestingly, I have quite enjoyed SF2 on the ST. But I had never played the arcade version or any other version for that matter. ;-)
You're in for quite a shock when you do play the arcade version then :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Wasnt there a pretty decent version of SFII that was demoed for the ST in monochrome? IIRC it was pretty good.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

I was quite disappointed on playing the demo of chaos engine after all STE enhanced hype, it just reminded me a bit of other similar games like crackdown. The in game graphics were awesome, sound was shitty, scrolling didn't seem like it used hardware scrolling and gameplay was meh. Cannon fodder was disappointing too , I mean that scrolling and would it have killed them to have some samples?
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am Wasnt there a pretty decent version of SFII that was demoed for the ST in monochrome? IIRC it was pretty good.
Yep, there was an STE demo by Patrice Mandin: http://pmandin.atari.org/en/index.php?p ... ngines-sf2
CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

Many things that came from inside a Psygnosis box fall into this category.

The obvious one is Sh*d*w *f th* B**st. But there seems to be a general aura of over promise with most of their 16 bit games.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
Mikerochip
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Mikerochip »

mikro wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 am
I loved it right until I visited an arcade a few months later, and got my ass handed to me, because the ST version ran at 25% of the speed of the arcade, and had 4 frames of animation.
I was gobsmacked.
I made sure my next purchase was a SNES with SF2:Turbo, which was announced not long after I visited the arcade.

Also not ST: but, Rise of the Robots.

And for me, Weaponlord on the SNES/MD.
I lusted after that game right until I got to play it. (It was unplayable, for anyone who'd never had the "pleasure")

On the ST: Risky Woods. I thought it was going to be like Leander, and have amazing animation and wonderful gameplay.
Instead I got ... Risky Woods. Which I hated. So. Much.

Return to “Games - General”