agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: WIP: ScummVM-Lite Atari

Post by agranlund »

And a new version available here: http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/
It's mostly fixes and minor improvement:

- Tuned the Indy4 colour palette to make it look good
- Lower quality DMA sound on 8Mhz STE to make Indy4 playable with speech enabled on these machines
- Made the YM sound/speech option work on Falcon
- Re-enabled some expensive graphics on machines with 68030 or better (sunken ship in foreground of Monkey2 etc..)
- Fixed missing-sprite issues for objects which are spawned off screen
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

nice
where I can find data files for those games?
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

Cyprian wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm where I can find data files for those games?
These are the only places I know that sell them digitally:

Fate of Atlantis DOS CD-Rom version can be bought from GOG.com
You need ATLANTIS.000, ATLANTIS.001, MONSTER.SOU from the game folder.

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition contains the data files for the original DOS version and can be bought from Steam and GOG.
You can use "Monkey Island Explorer" to extract MONKEY2.000 and MONKEY2.001 from this version.
https://quickandeasysoftware.net/softwa ... d-explorer

Day of the Tentacle Remastered contains the data files for the original DOS version and can be bought from Steam and GOG.
You can use "DoubleFine Explorer" to extract TENTACLE.000, TENTACLE.001, MONSTER.SOU from this version.
https://quickandeasysoftware.net/softwa ... e-explorer

If you end up getting the games from some random place on the internet, make sure the sound file is called monster.sou and not monster.sof or monster.sog. Those .sof/.sog files are recompressed audio specifically for modern ScummVM and will not work with this port (nor with the original game engine from Lucasart)
AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by AdamK »

Thank you.

I'm intrested by "Lower quality DMA sound on 8Mhz STE". Can you explain the problem there?
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

AdamK wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am Thank you.

I'm intrested by "Lower quality DMA sound on 8Mhz STE". Can you explain the problem there?
It suffered from too much slowdown with speech enabled on 8Mhz STE, to the point of it not really being viable to play with speech enabled.
While it still slows down a little when characters are talking it's at least playable now with a reduced sample rate.
The Mega STE or better plays at 12517 Hz like before but the normal STE will use half of that.

I intend on revisiting the audio side of scumm again and see if there are more optimisations that can be made there. I simplified it quite a bit some time ago but I'm sure there's more that could be done (there always is :) )
AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by AdamK »

I uderstand there is a slowdown, I'm wondering where it is coming from. Playing DMA samples on STE is free, so what I'm askin, what is ScummVM problem with it?
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

AdamK wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am I uderstand there is a slowdown, I'm wondering where it is coming from. Playing DMA samples on STE is free, so what I'm askin, what is ScummVM problem with it?
Yep, the cost is purely for bringing the data through scummvm's mixer and into the DMA buffer(s).
Mainly sample-rate conversion at this point, all the other fancy per-sample processing scummvm was doing was already removed last time.

I took another pass at what was left, speed up the sample-rate conversion and got rid of some now redundant data copying, and DMA sound is now happily playing at 12517hz on the 8Mhz STE again :)

As a consequence of this optimisation Indy4 is now just barely playable on 8Mhz STs with YM speech enabled, I never thought that would happen..
YM speech doesn't sound all that good of course and it certainly suffers from framerate loss when characters are talking, but it is playable with interactive framerate if you really want speech on a regular ST.
Covox Speech Thing or the BAT cartridge makes it slightly better both in terms of quality and performance.

There is a new version with these audio optimisations here:
http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/
AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by AdamK »

I'm not 100% sure, but SCUMM games rarely played more than one sample at a time. That means that no real mixing is neccessary in most cases. So, if skip SCUMMVM mixer, preprocess all the samples, 50kHz DMA sound could be possible for free :)

agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

AdamK wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:20 am I'm not 100% sure, but SCUMM games rarely played more than one sample at a time. That means that no real mixing is neccessary in most cases. So, if skip SCUMMVM mixer, preprocess all the samples, 50kHz DMA sound could be possible for free :)
Absolutely. I already took out mixing, volume processing, panning & fading + the accurate-but-expensive rate conversion (and the completely unnecessary game-format -> scummvm standard-format conversion which was hugely expensive and completely unnecessary for the Atari target)
What's left is basically grabbing the data in the games original format when available given that there is room in the DMA backbuffer.
And at the same time doing unsigned->signed + very simple rate conversion.

The source audio for these games are at most 11khz 8bit mono, some samples are lower, so there is no need to up-convert the audio to a higher rate (which would be an added cost in itself).

It could correct for the sign and the rate when speech is streamed in from disk instead of when playing back - this may just end up adding to the already sometimes quite large stall (on 8Mh machines) before speech is started but might be worth a shot. The STE is at a pretty good point for audio at this moment but the non-dma machine could use all the help it can get.
(I rather not pre-process the entire monster.sou file at the installer process at this point but it's certainly an option worth considering)
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

At the moment it's all about fixing up a bunch of remaining known bugs and squeezing some more performance for the 8Mhz machines, anything better can already run these three games perfectly fine.
Much of the ScummVM rendering code has been rewritten and I have some bugs remaining there :)

Day of the Tentacle will likely never really reach good performance on 8Mhz machines and I'm fine with that.
A Mega STE or better should play it just fine with speech enabled (less some expensive cutscenes) and I think that is acceptable.

I'd say Monkey Island 2 is fine on all machines. It runs better than the original Amiga 500 version in some scenes (less the hardware scrolling of course) and in some scenes its worse but overall it is about on par.

Fate of Atlantis is probably fine for what it is on the 8Mhz STE with speech enabled, and the 8Mhz ST with speech disabled.
It's a bit too slow with YM speech at the moment, and BAT/Covox speech sits somewhere in the middle :)

Disk access is generally too slow for my liking.
I only touched it briefly and I'm sure much more stuff can be done there - at the very least do alignment + endian corrections in the installer pre-processor so it doesn't have to worry about alignments at load time. (standard 68000 cannot read words from unaligned memory as I'm sure you are already aware, the other variants can but with a performance cost)
I am already aligning the relevant graphics resource chunks, and the graphics inside those chunks, to 32bit to aid in rendering.
Machines with fastram can benefit from aligned 32bit reads and this was important back when this port wouldn't really run on anything less than a fast 68030 - not so important anymore :D
But anyway, for the lesser machines it's at least beneficial for it to be at least 16bit aligned.
Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Estrayk »

agranlund wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 am A Mega STE or better should play it just fine with speech enabled (less some expensive cutscenes) and I think that is acceptable.
I've tested DOTT today in my MegaSTE and works perfectly. Fully playable. good work agranlund :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5e0SL0Raq4
Last edited by Estrayk on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

mikro wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm Yup, IKBD hooks is the only non-clean thing which you should need the Super flag for. Everything else (incl. double/triple buffering) can be done in user code with zero Super/Supexec calls.
So programming in FreeMiNT + memory protection actually makes you a better programmer. ;-)
Bah! I get enough of that at my day job with the modern consoles. At home I just want to relive the good old days when I had to hack the hardware directly :)
ScummST goes supervisor at the start and never expect to exit, but at least I haven't gone so far as to overwrite TOS in the lower memory regions to speed up table lookups even if it's still tempting to do so.. :lol:

Jokes aside, I should probably revisit this for FreeMiNT at some point as long as it doesn't negatively impact running on 8Mhz machines in TOS which was the main goal of this thing.
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

nanard wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:03 pm would it be possible to go beyond the 16 colors by changing the palette on each line, or maybe every 8 lines or so ?
No, not really for being able to play on stock machines.
All graphics are already statically atarified and remapped to the fixed 16-color palette. Any kind of dynamic shenanigans here would kill it.

Or perhaps someone smarter than me would be able to pull something like that off :)
Maybe it's possible by dedicating 8 colors for BG and 8 for sprites and have just the BG colors change mid-screen, provided the color changing itself wouldn't end up eating too much CPU. But then there's the static BG objects that can be added/removed by script.. that could make it difficult for the pre-processor to calculate correct per-line palette lookups.
Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Hempsa »

This is amazing. Just tried MI2 and Indy 4 with my MegaSTe. Currently I'm unpacking DOTT's monster.sou with STZip, my TOS/DOS 256mb SD-card partition could not hold it otherwise, so far 2 hours of unpacking and still many hours left I think :D Keep up the good work, sir!
jeloneal
Atarian
Atarian

Post by jeloneal »

Wonderful work on that SCUMM stuff! I tried Indy4 so far and enjoyed it a lot on my MEGA STE and STE machines. Sound and speed are quite good, especially on the MEGA STE. Only one crash occurred: when trying to snap my whip on the jungle rodent in Tikal for the second time the game crashes with 2 bombs. Not sure whether this is a problem of my old machine or on software side. Just wanted to let you know.
Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Hempsa »

http://www.gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/

Would it be possible to use speech from those ultimate talkies in Monkey Island?
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Cyprian wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm where I can find data files for those games?
You can try the demos, download them from the ScummVM web-site: https://www.scummvm.org/demos/#lec

They work after renaming their files as explained here: viewtopic.php?p=400820#p400820

(Or does the latest version already check also for the demo file names?)
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

agranlund wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 am Day of the Tentacle will likely never really reach good performance on 8Mhz machines and I'm fine with that.
A Mega STE or better should play it just fine with speech enabled (less some expensive cutscenes) and I think that is acceptable.
Tried DOTT demo with the new version on 8Mhz Hatari STE emulation. YM music is pretty bad, but general MIDI works great! Speech seems to work fine in the demo, when music goes through MIDI, even on 8Mhz STE.
agranlund wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 am Disk access is generally too slow for my liking.
When starting the demo, I noticed that there are a lot of weird fallbacks to files that aren't present.

Based on following Hatari output, ScummVM-lite tries to load files from different subdirectories, using a wrong path separator (TOS uses "\", not "/"):

Code: Select all

WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'rooms/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'rooms/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'ROOMS/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'ROOMS/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 1/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 1/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 2/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 2/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 3/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 3/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'video/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'video/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'VIDEO/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'VIDEO/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'data/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'data/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'DATA/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'DATA/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'resource/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'resource/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'RESOURCE/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'RESOURCE/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'execute/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'execute/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'EXECUTE/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'EXECUTE/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 11 chars from '../TENTACLE.SOU' extension!
WARN : have to clip 11 chars from '../tentacle.sou' extension!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'voices/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'voices/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'VOICES/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'VOICES/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'CLUSTERS/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'CLUSTERS/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'clusters/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'clusters/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SPEECH/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SPEECH/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'speech/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'speech/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SWORD2/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SWORD2/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'sword2/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'sword2/tentacle.sou' base!
Btw. Because SWORD2 subdirectory is also searched, you may have remains of some other games still in your ScummVM binary.
emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by emcclariion »

Tested the day of the tentacle on a Falcon ct60 and mt32 and works fine
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb
jeloneal
Atarian
Atarian

Post by jeloneal »

My Indy 4 action buttons look a bit off. On your screenshots they looked better. Anything I can do about this? Tried on my Mega STE and the STE. Both look the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

Eero Tamminen wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 pm
agranlund wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 am Day of the Tentacle will likely never really reach good performance on 8Mhz machines and I'm fine with that.
Tried DOTT demo with the new version on 8Mhz Hatari STE emulation. YM music is pretty bad, but general MIDI works great! Speech seems to work fine in the demo, when music goes through MIDI, even on 8Mhz STE.
agranlund wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 am Disk access is generally too slow for my liking.
When starting the demo, I noticed that there are a lot of weird fallbacks to files that aren't present.

Based on following Hatari output, ScummVM-lite tries to load files from different subdirectories, using a wrong path separator (TOS uses "\", not "/"):

Code: Select all

WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'rooms/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'rooms/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'ROOMS/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'ROOMS/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 1/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 1/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 2/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 2/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 3/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'Rooms 3/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'video/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'video/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'VIDEO/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 6 chars from 'VIDEO/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'data/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'data/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'DATA/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 5 chars from 'DATA/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'resource/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'resource/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'RESOURCE/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'RESOURCE/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'execute/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'execute/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'EXECUTE/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 8 chars from 'EXECUTE/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 11 chars from '../TENTACLE.SOU' extension!
WARN : have to clip 11 chars from '../tentacle.sou' extension!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'voices/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'voices/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'VOICES/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'VOICES/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'CLUSTERS/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'CLUSTERS/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'clusters/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 9 chars from 'clusters/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SPEECH/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SPEECH/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'speech/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'speech/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SWORD2/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'SWORD2/tentacle.sou' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'sword2/TENTACLE.SOU' base!
WARN : have to clip 7 chars from 'sword2/tentacle.sou' base!
Btw. Because SWORD2 subdirectory is also searched, you may have remains of some other games still in your ScummVM binary.
Thank you for bringing this up!
Yes there are very likely a bunch of fallbacks and other crap still to remove :)

Edit: I also really need to make it properly detect and support the demo versions without having to rename files and so on.
There was a bit of demo-version specific code going on in ScummVM that is never going to be executed so it may not work 100% by just renaming the files (can't remember exactly what it was doing differently in these cases, maybe it is insignificant)
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

Hempsa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm http://www.gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/

Would it be possible to use speech from those ultimate talkies in Monkey Island?
Wow! Yes that might actually work..
I need to give this a go!

The readme hints at being able to package up the audio for the MS-DOS version of Monkey2, and as long as you do that it could work.
It needs to output a MONSTER.SOU usable by the DOS version, not the modern and ScummVM exclusive Flac/Ogg versions.
ScummST assumes the audio in MONSTER.SOU is always 8bit mono (unsigned) Creative VOC format - just like the original Indy4 and DOTT for MS-DOS.

Edit: yes it does indeed work :D
https://youtu.be/VejCEGoinP4
Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Hempsa »

agranlund wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 am
Hempsa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm http://www.gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/

Wow! Yes that might actually work..
I need to give this a go!

The readme hints at being able to package up the audio for the MS-DOS version of Monkey2, and as long as you do that it could work.
It needs to output a MONSTER.SOU usable by the DOS version, not the modern and ScummVM exclusive Flac/Ogg versions.
ScummST assumes the audio in MONSTER.SOU is always 8bit mono (unsigned) Creative VOC format - just like the original Indy4 and DOTT for MS-DOS.

Edit: yes it does indeed work :D
https://youtu.be/VejCEGoinP4
Tested it with real hardware too, did not know that monkey2 would look for monster.sou and work straight away :D
agranlund
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by agranlund »

Hempsa wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 am Tested it with real hardware too, did not know that monkey2 would look for monster.sou and work straight away :D
I was really surprised as well :)
I think Ultimate Talkie Builder is patching up the game script and/or other data files inside the .000/.001 files to do so?
Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Hempsa »

agranlund wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am
Hempsa wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 am Tested it with real hardware too, did not know that monkey2 would look for monster.sou and work straight away :D
I was really surprised as well :)
I think Ultimate Talkie Builder is patching up the game script and/or other data files inside the .000/.001 files to do so?
Could be, I think I used them to install it to ST.

Return to “Games - General”