The Top 50 Atari ST Games - The Great Atari ST Game Survey

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

The Top 50 Atari ST Games - The Great Atari ST Game Survey

Post by StickHead »

A huge thank you to everyone who voted across YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and here on Atari Forum. I've collated all the votes, assigned the scores and here are the top 50 Atari ST games according to contemporary Atari ST gamers!

You can watch the video if you'd prefer: https://youtu.be/uiUtumOhVGs
Or see this page on my blog: http://thejoyofsticks.com/the-top-50-atari-st-games

All images provided by Atarimania.

Happy reading!

50 – Deuteros: The Next Millennium

Released: 1991
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Ian Bird

Man has returned to Earth, rebuilt civilisation and forgotten about past adventures…

Image Image

Deuteros is the sequel to the much-loved Millennium 2.2 and the plot picks up after the end of that game where the Moon colonists have been successful in recolonising the Earth. The nearby colonies were all called back to repopulate this blissful new Eden (hooray!), but the outer colonies and their mutant populations were abandoned and forgotten (oh no!).

Due to the struggle to survive on this new Earth, no one knew or even cared about what was happening in the far reaches of the solar system and space travel couldn’t have been further from their minds. That is until a Dr Trout laid out a brave new plan for space travel and the construction of a new base on Earth modelled on the old Moon colony that would serve as a first step towards the rest of the solar system. Operation Deuteros was underway.

You start by controlling this ‘Earth City’ and fans of Millenium 2.2 will be right at home, as it’s a very familiar interface whereby you click on various icons to access the different areas of the base and direct its inhabitants towards the jobs you decide are important.

I’m not going to explain what happens next in the game, as part of the appeal here is that you discover for yourself what happens next and it is a great part of what define both this and the prequel that a core of mystery, discovery and narrative is the driver for the overlying strategy gameplay.

Atarimania link

49 – Chaos Engine

Released – 1993
Publisher – Renegade
Developer – Bitmap Brothers

Select two characters and enter the World of Chaos to battle with the ultimate killing machine, THE CHOAS ENGINE.

Image Image

The game boasts stunning graphics by Dan Malone (who also worked on the similarly stunning Cadaver and Speedball 2) and he uses a mix of organic and metallic styles with just a sprinkle of steampunk to create this hideous, malicious world full of weird monsters and mysterious locations. Into this nightmare you must thrust your choice of one of six characters: The Thug, Preacher, Mercenary, Gentleman, Navvie, Brigand and Mime (no, I made that last one up, there is no mime, thankfully). Each of these cut-throats have their own characteristics and special move (The Navvie was always my favourite – that Tom Selleck tash is just irresistible).

Primary amongst the games appeal is its excellent co-op play, and when matched with its challenging difficulty level, it really does feel like you are both venturing into a hostile land. Now, if you don’t have a friend, don’t worries: just hire one of the mercenaries to join you and they will be controlled by the AI. But be warned: there are fewer annoying things than having all the good stuff stolen by a light fingered computer controlled player.

The problem with the ST version is that the playing window is a little smaller than other versions, which combined with the push scrolling means that sometimes you can’t see far enough ahead of your character. The characters are so fragile, only taking a few hits before going down that you will find yourself edging yourself along inch by inch to avoid an unexpected death. This adds to the tension no end, but also slows down gameplay significantly.

Minor niggles aside, this is a complete package: the story, design, pixel art, music and gameplay all contributing to a compelling experience.

Atarimania link

48 – Treasure Island Dizzy

Released – 1989
Publisher/Developer – Codemasters

Can Dizzy eggstract himself from this desert island?

Image Image

This is the second game in the Dizzy series originally developed on the ZX Spectrum by those legendary boffins, the Oliver twins.

Basically, Dizzy’s cruise holiday has gone pear-shaped (or should that be egg-shaped?) and Dizzy has found himself trapped on the titular desert island. So, he must collect stuff to help him overcome traps and creatures as he collects all the coins and finds a way off the island to be reunited with his beloved yolk-folk.

A lot of Dizzy’s charm comes from its super cartoon graphics and charming animations. It was the first game in the series to introduce the inventory puzzles now synonymous with the Dizzy series. Unfortunately, this early Dizzy entry does not feature the later additions of an energy bar or multiple lives, so Dizzy is as fragile as… well… an egg. Huh. Maybe that’s what they were going for. You also can’t juggle your inventory like you could in later games, meaning that it is all too easy to accidentally drop your snorkel while underwater and bring your quest to a premature end.

Still, if you are a fan of the puzzle platforming genre, then this is a must play, both for its own merits and its historical significance.

Atarimania link

47 – Operation Stealth

Released – 1990
Publisher – US Gold
Developer – Delphine

The name’s Glames, Jonathon Glames.

Image Image

A beautifully presented point and click adventure game from the masters at Delphine Software, developers of timeless classics such as Another World, Cruise for a Corpse, Future Wars and Flashback (we won’t hold Shaq-Fu against them).

You play as a decorated CIA agent called John Glames who must investigate a stolen US stealth bomber. I won’t give too much away, as it could spoilt the experience if you haven’t played it yet to explain the tangled web of intrigue that follows. I will say however, that this adventure wouldn’t be out of place amongst Ian Fleming’s works: it’s basically as if Bond has been transposed over to the US. The protagonist is a suave, womanising secret agent with a briefcase full of secret tricks and although extremely capable, he soon finds himself in over his head in a series of ludicrous goings on.

Operation Stealth uses the same point and click engine as Future Wars which means that when you click the mouse button, you get a context sensitive pop up showing you the different actions you can take. It’s a neat solution and once you work out how to navigate through the game using this method, it becomes second nature and gets out of the way so you can concentrate on those puzzles.

As we’ve come to expect from Delphine, everything here is so polished and focused on delivering to the player an immersive, story-rich experience. It even links up with the Roland MT-32 to provide an excellent MIDI soundtrack.

Atarimania link

46 – Obsession

Released – 1994
Publisher/Developer – Unique Development Sweden

THERE IS A POINT BEYOND ADDICTION…

Image Image

Here’s a pinball game for STe and Falcon owners that was a huge critical success, if not a commercial one due to the timing of its release. Indeed, Obsession was one of the last official releases available for our beloved ST and what a swan song it was!

The game features four tables all aesthetically beautiful but also well-designed from a gaming point of view. Pinball tables of yore are evoked nicely here with some innovative and left-field concepts such as the Paris-Dakar rally and a baseball game. The best thing about these tables, though, is how they differ from each other, both thematically and in gameplay, resulting in a fresh experience each time you boot up a different table, which adds to the long term appeal of the game no end.

With the amazing visuals and scrolling and sound effects, this really is a window into what the Ste was actually capable of when allowed to flourish. Add to this a cracking soundtrack from Per Almered (otherwise known as Excellence in Art) and it all adds up to being the best pinball experience available for the ST.

Atarimania link
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.
Dromedary
Atarian
Atarian

Re: The Top 50 Atari ST Games - The Great Atari ST Game Survey

Post by Dromedary »

Wow, well done!
Dan1975
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Dan1975 »

Awesome. Can't wait for the rest of the parts :D
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

I especially like the Atari desktop view with video output windows etc, at the start of your YouTube video!
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

Excellent, I suspect only one or two of mine will make this list but its started well. Is there any chance you could show the number of votes for each entry anywhere?
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

Eero Tamminen wrote:I especially like the Atari desktop view with video output windows etc, at the start of your YouTube video!
Thank you! I use that all the time on my gameplay videos.
Zogging Hell wrote:Excellent, I suspect only one or two of mine will make this list but its started well. Is there any chance you could show the number of votes for each entry anywhere?
I did wonder if anyone would be interested in the stats. Maybe I'll pretty up the spreadsheet and publish that once we are all done.
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

StickHead wrote: I did wonder if anyone would be interested in the stats. Maybe I'll pretty up the spreadsheet and publish that once we are all done.
Yes please, I am that nerd! (it would be interesting to see the difference between the almosts and the made its in the list, and the differences at the top). Maybe just put the vote tally next to each entries' title or something on your page?
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours
mouse_master
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mouse_master »

StickHead wrote: I did wonder if anyone would be interested in the stats. Maybe I'll pretty up the spreadsheet and publish that once we are all done.
I think many would be interested in the stats, to be honest, especially after all the effort you went to to collect the data.
Dromedary
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Dromedary »

mouse_master wrote:
I think many would be interested in the stats, to be honest, especially after all the effort you went to to collect the data.
Yes please
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone. I really appreciate it. Here are the next five games! Happy reading! Or if you'd prefer, the video is here.

45 – Lotus Turbo Challenge II

Publisher: Gremlin Graphics
Developer: Magnetic Fields

The best just got better. Or did it?

Image Image

The original Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge was highly acclaimed for its smooth gameplay and sense of speed and this sequel sprinkles a little extra seasoning onto this race winning recipe. Not least amongst these extras is the ability to play a single player game using the full screen. That might not sound like much, but racing using only half of the screen was one of the biggest complaints about the original. But now look at how much sky you can see. Much better. You can also now choose between two Lotus cars: the classic Esprit and the then new convertible Elan (what do you mean they look the same except one’s got no roof. Shush). A nice addition are the new hazards and weather conditions that do genuinely keep things fresh for this sequel and it is genuinely atmospheric (no pun intended) to race during one of the games thunder storms or blizzards. Ooh, and you can also link two STs together for some 4 player action if you are a sociable sort.

Other changes less sought after by some include the loss of the fuel gauge and with it the need to enter the pits to refuel. I always liked the tactical element that added to the original and the tension of leaving it as late as possible as the car beeped frantically at you and then only pitting in for the briefest time possible, risking running out of fuel to save precious tenths of a second. But the biggest loss in my opinion is how the races in this game are no longer a simple race against opponents on a circuit, Magnetic Fields having instead opted to pit you against a stringent time limit. Because we all need more stress in our lives, right?

I’ll stop moaning on now, because the most important thing is that the thrilling sense of speed is still there and all the additions do outweigh the things they took away and the result is without a doubt one of the best racing games on the ST.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

44 – F19 Stealth Fighter

Released: 1990
Publisher: Microprose
Developer: MPS Labs

The Air Force won’t even talk about it. Now it’s yours to fly!

Image Image

Originally released for 8-bit machines in 1987 as Project Stealth Fighter, it was later ported to DOS in 1988 and then the ST and Amiga later in 1990. The F-19 is a fictional aircraft based on a model kit released in 1986. Later in 1988, the US would unveil the F-117 Nighthawk, a real life stealth fighter, which Microprose would later add as an optional extra for the Amiga and ST releases.

In this game, you pilot the F-19 on various missions in the Middle East and Central Europe, and was praised for its realistic AI responses and emulation of radar detection.

A nice touch is the different ‘scales of conflict’ that each zone can have. Ranging from ‘cold war’ where stealth is of the upmost priority for intelligence gathering but also international diplomacy to full scale open warfare where you must take down enemy planes and the like.

The game keeps track of the pilots in a roster, and deaths are permanent giving the game a nice, overarching campaign feel.

The presentation is nice, as is the norm with Microprose flight sims, with well-drawn skeuomorphic visuals accompanying the pre-flight preparation scenes. The in-flight graphics are basic, but functional and it all moves pretty smoothly. In their review, Atari ST User said “F-19 Stealth Fighter is stunningly fast, and the ground detail scenery is so detailed it’s breathtaking. A classic to add to the collection of quality games from Microprose.”

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

43 – Bubble Bobble

Released: 1987
Publisher: Firebird
Developer: Software Creations

Millions of bubbles, but not a single bobble.

Image Image

One of the reasons I and many like me were so enamoured by the onset of 16-bit computing was because the games were a step closer to their arcade counterparts. Full colour graphics? Yes please! Samples and speech? Oh, go on then.

Now I know that Bubble Bobble wasn’t exactly pushing hardware to the limits, but the upgrade from 8 to 16-bit was tangible and obvious. No longer did I have to tolerate the approximation that was the Amstrad CPC 464 port. No. I had a version at home that to all intents and purposes was arcade perfect.

Taito’s classic arcade features brilliant gameplay beats of jumping, collecting, trapping and popping enemies (which to be honest, if that was all this game had to offer, would still make Bubble Bobble one of the best platformers available on the ST) there are myriad different hidden details waiting to surprise players. Hard to reach areas become accessible to those who jump on their own bubbles and learning the huge variety of pickups and what they do is a treat. At first, power up appearances seem random, but actually everything that happens in this game is controlled by what the players are doing, or what they did on the previous screen. Genius.

Bubble Bobble has the rare honour of being the only game I’ve completed and then wanted to play again straight away. My best friend and I would play this game religiously. We played it so much that we knew exactly where each of us should stand for each level, and exactly who was responsible for which group of enemies so we could rinse each level as quickly as possible, minimising risk to our lives bank and maximising the possibility of juicy power ups on the next level. And then once we’d defeated the game’s impressive final boss. We’d go through the game again to try to find even more secrets.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

42 – Wizball

Publisher: Ocean
Developer: Peter Johnson

A mindfulness colouring book.

Image Image

Sensible Software would go on to dizzy, dizzy heights with huge hits later in their history, but here we have one of their earliest and boy, it’s a strange one.

You control a wizard who is determined to bring the colour back into the world stolen by the spectrum-hating Zark by transforming himself into a ball and taking his robot-piloting cat along with him. Laudable goal, questionable methodology.

There’s a nice power up system that see you collecting bubbles dropped by vanquished enemies and cashing them in for upgrades a very ‘Gradius‘ manner. Many of these upgrades are essential for you to be able to accomplish your task. The first two of these power ups stop you from bouncing about like a fart in a colander so you can actually dispatch enemies a little easier, and another calls into play your trusty feline friend, who is needed to collect the droplets of colour that will eventually revitalise this drab, grey, lifeless world.

It’s strange. It’s challenging. But it is compelling. Thanks to its unique nature and tight design, you will keep wanting to return until you’ve started to make some progress in this unique game.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

41 – Gods

Publisher: Renegade
Developer: Bitmap Brothers

Any man through skill and courage may earn a single favour.

Image Image

Gods is one of those releases that rightfully earned the Bitmap Brothers the reputation for creating stunning looking games (see The Chaos Engine from earlier in the list), Gods is gorgeous. The stone textures, the metallic sheen, every sinew of the hero, the gruesome enemies, the flashy effects and colourful sunset: all rendered in incredible detail.

Tighten your togas and strap on those sandles, because four particularly nasty pieces of work have invaded the citadel of the gods and you, playing as Hercules, must vanquish these nefarious ne’er-do-wells. Here’s a Brucie Bonus though: the gods will bestow upon the victor one favour. Being but a half god, Hercules quite fancies having the full kit and caboodle, so chooses immortality as his favour, much to the gods chagrin.

Unfortunately, this task is not going to be easy. The game is fiendishly difficult, which wouldn’t normally be a problem, but your so-called ‘demigod’ of an avatar is so unwieldy, so clunky to control at times that it can lead to some frustrating moments. In his defence, this lack of agility is at least completely predictable so when you take the time to adapt to his sluggish nature, you can minimise this frustration and begin to make good progress.

As a side note, this game also has one of the best shops ever seen in a video game. Selfridges has nothing on this cornucopia of commercial delights – those Bitmaps really knew how to design a 16-bit shop, didn’t they?

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

OK everyone, here's the next five. As always, you can read it here, on my blog, or watch the video. Enjoy!

40 – Captain Blood

Released: 1988
Publisher: ERE Informatique
Developer: Metal Hurlant

Brilliantly bonkers space adventure from ERE Informatique.

Image Image

Bob Morlock, a videogame developer otherwise known as Captain Blood has developed a natty little game about squiddly aliens and somesuch. During a particularly frantic crunch time (he really should get himself some union representation) he is zapped into the game, whereupon he is cloned 30 times. In order to get back to the land of the living he needs to collect the vital fluid of these clones. So far he has tracked down 25 of them, but you must aid him in his hunt for the final, elusive 5.

To do this, you fly through the game world in your living ship, visiting planets and launching a probe in order to have a good old chinwag with some aliens. Use the game’s unique iconography language UI to gain their trust and they might just give you some information that leads you to a clone.

Time, however is not your ally in this quest. In a brilliant twist of UI design, as your quest continues, Captain Blood’s health deteriorates and his hand will slowly start to shake, making the game more and more difficult to control. Disintegrating a clone and liberating those vital essences is the only remedy.

Captain Blood wears its influences on its sleeve. Giger-esque alien morphology, Kubrick-ish warp sequences, Mandelbrot-ian lansdscapes and Jean Michelle Jarre soundtrack are all front and centre. Any science fiction fan with an ST or an emulator owes it to themselves to hop onto this thrillingly atmospheric interplanetary ride.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

39 – Rod-Land

Publisher: Storm
Developer: The Sales Curve

So cute… it will make you puke?

Image Image

There are very few games that one could really say are arcade perfect on the ST. But this is genuinely one of them. It’s a spot on conversion of the single-screen platformer from Jaleco that harks back to the good old days of Taito’s arcade dominance with games like Bubble Bobble. Just like the games of that golden era, it has a ridiculously cute aesthetic, solid controls and secret gameplay elements that reward inquisitive players.

The graphics really are a treat for the eyes here: the sprites are all very cute and colourful, designed in the Japanese chibi style and animated with tons of character. The backgrounds are colourful and nicely detailed without being too distracting and the occasional cut-scenes are beautifully drawn.

Rod-Land has some nice, novel additions to the genre too. The village elder has gifted you a rather fetching pair of rainbow booties that can summon a ladder with a press of the fire button and your dear departed father has left you the Rod of Sheesanamo, a magic rod that can grasp enemies and repeatedly suplex them until they die. Each time you kill an enemy like this, a weapon will drop that you can use to dispatch the others: bombs, rockets and bouncy star things will all kill enemies for a nice juicy fruit bonus.

Each level also has a collectible that can be snaffled in order to turn the enemies into weird peachy things that can then be farmed for letters. Use these to spell out EXTRA for an extra life, and you’re going to build up a healthy stack of those the challenges coming later.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

38 – Turrican II

Publisher: Rainbow Arts
Developer: Factor 5

The Final Fight

Image Image

There are very few problems that a bio-mechanical suit can’t fix, and an alien invasion certainly isn’t one of those. So, as you are the last surviving member of your crew, you better don those metallic pants and get ready to blast those alien scumbags.

Your nifty Turrican suit comes with a few additional extras to help you in your quest. You can turn yourself into an invincible spinning ninja star to zip around and take out those xenomorphic shins or release a smart blast that causes a wall of fire to spread across the screen. Experimenting with these and the variety of power-ups to your main blaster constitutes a lot of the appeal of Turrican II and finding which weapon works best in each situation will see you progress a lot further.

You can basically think of the Turrican series as the west’s take on, and mashup of Metroid and Contra. The theme and main character feel very Metroid, whereas the power up system feels very Contra. The levels have a maze-like quality to them like Metroid, requiring you to blast your way through until you get to the big fella at the end, like Contra. There’s also a nice R-Type style horizontal shoot ’em up level that breaks up the action nicely. And it’s actually a lot better than many shmup’s entire game.

Turrican II is very difficult, but rewards patience and perseverance with some great set pieces and the amazing soundtrack throughout makes the game worth a play alone. The best run and gun action the ST has to offer? Maybe.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

37 – Another World

Publisher: US Gold
Developer: Delphine

It took 6 days to create the Earth. Another World took 2 years.

Image Image

Delphine at their cinematic best. From the moment the opening sequence begins you know what you are in for. Lester Chaykin turns up for another boring day at a hi-tech underground laboratory. Sipping his Mountain Dew and kicking back in his chair, he sets up another test run and… ZAP! He’s in… you guess it… Another World!

Eric Chahi was a visionary and Another World doesn’t just provide a unique gameplay experience. The atmosphere. Animation. Cut-scenes. Sound effects. I’m a sucker for a developer who shows the heart they have put into their work through delicate little touches and this game has them at every turn. The way the beast at the very beginning of the game is animated just exudes menace. The way little fangs pop out of the knee-slugs with a little flick of venom. The way the guard languidly removes his coat. And there’s many more that will mean so much more when you discover them for yourself. Just masterful. Anybody who cares about narrative design or animation really should have played this already.

The best part of the game for me is the comrade you encounter and help free from the prison. I don’t want to tell you exactly what happens in case you haven’t played it yet, but this character provides some of the most memorable moments of pathos I’ve ever experienced in a video game.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

36 – Prince of Persia

Publisher: Broderbund
Developer: Broderbund

Mechner’s classic delivers some acrobatic, swash-buckling action.

Image Image

So funny that this has ended up shoulder to shoulder with Another World on the list as it’s a game that occupies the same headspace in my mind. And that’s mainly due to the exquisite rotoscoping animation on show here. And I can’t help but think that Eric Chahi must have been a fan of Prince of Persia before developing his game. This is the second game that Jordan Mechner made using the technique, the first being Karateka. Mechner famously dressed his brother up in white and filmed him executing the game’s moves.

The game is set, obviously, in Persia. The sultan is away and his ill-intentioned vizier Jaffar is doing his best to seize power from the Sultan’s daughter. He locks her away until she agrees to become his wife, and it is up to the player to rescue her. The only problem is that he himself is trapped in the dungeons and must escape first.

The bulk of the gameplay comes from successfully negotiating the traps and hazards around the dungeon and defeating guards in swordplay. There’s definitely a trial and error element to the gameplay here, and progress is earned the hard way. But once you learn the game’s systems and perfect the control of the characters movement and combat you begin to inch through the game and there are some amazing moments later on which I won’t spoil here.

The ST version suffers from a little slowdown here and there, but does have a bit more colour than the Apple II, Amiga and IBM PC versions, so it is worth giving this a go on an ST if you can.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

Another bunch of grade A classics - Again some surprises in there, would have thought Turrican II would be higher.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

ArsTechnica has "Prince of Persia" "War Stories" video from the creator of the game that tells a bit more about its background: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/ ... mitations/

The most amazing thing is that it was originally done for Apple II at end of 80's, a machine that had 48KB of RAM...

Note: if you haven't played the game yet, ArsTechnica video has game ending spoilers!
Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Sturm »

Awesome work as usual, i'm really surprised that Prince of Persia or Captain Blood are so low in the list.
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

Zogging Hell wrote:Another bunch of grade A classics - Again some surprises in there, would have thought Turrican II would be higher.
Me too! Though I'm still stinging over Bubble Bobble being so low! :D
Eero Tamminen wrote:ArsTechnica has "Prince of Persia" "War Stories" video from the creator of the game that tells a bit more about its background: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/ ... mitations/
Thanks, Eero. I'll check that out. Looks fascinating.
Sturm wrote:Awesome work as usual, i'm really surprised that Prince of Persia or Captain Blood are so low in the list.
Thanks for the kind words, Sturm. Last time I did this, Captain Blood was number 16, so that is quite the slide. I wonder why that is? But, hey, Prince of Persia didn't even make the top 50 last time, so we can console ourselves with that at least.
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

StickHead wrote:Me too! Though I'm still stinging over Bubble Bobble being so low! :D
Well if it had been a top ten games rather than five I think Bubble Bobble would have made it in to my list. It will never make top five for me for one reason - because it took me years to work out (bearing in mind my formative age at the time) that you need to hold down fire when you die to continue in single player rather than just press it as the manual suggested. I spent years playing it with two joysticks and alternating players as I couldn't seem to 'press fire' at the right moment consistently. Grrrr!

Finishing it is some achievement though, I only managed somewhere in the 50s I think - aren't there a hundred levels? I guess most kids have that one game that not only clicks with them but they are also pretty good at. I'd always loose a bunch of lives on those damn levels where you have to time a jump precisely to blow a bubble into an area chocko with baddies. Perhaps it might be time to share your skills in a long play of the game with tips ;) I'd certainly watch it, as new tips for some of the levels would be helpful .
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

Zogging Hell wrote:you need to hold down fire when you die to continue in single player rather than just press it as the manual suggested.
We didn't know that either! We were always so careful to make sure that we didn't both die at the same time so that we could always continue. If we'd known about the holding fire trick, it would have saved a lot of stress and panic! A pretty huge oversight to not put that in the manual!

And yes, there are a hundred levels. You are right about certain games 'just clicking'. I'm no hardcore, elite, pro gamer by any stretch of the most overactive imagination, but there were a few games that I was pretty good at. Bubble Bobble, IK+, Llamatron, Super Sprint. Sucked at near everything else, though! :D
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

35 – Falcon
Released: 1989
Publisher: Mirrorsoft
Developer: Spectrum Holobyte

Get set for the flight of your life.

Image Image

The second flight simulator on the list is the seminal Falcon, a game that was lauded for its accurate simulation of the F-16 fighter that it is named after, while still being accessible enough for newcomers to get into.

Many features that would later become staples of the genre were first showcased here, and the attention to detail is astounding. There are three separate instrument screens to switch to if you want to see all of the dials, switches and furry dice on offer and although, EA’s Interceptor boasted an exterior camera, Falcon was the first to allow the player to view their plane from almost any angle. It was also one of the earliest flight sims to offer head-to-head dogfights via null modem link and there was also an innovative ‘black box’ feature which allowed you to analyse each flight after landing. Another nice touch is how you can pull too many Gs in a turn and cause your pilot to black out.

The difficulty level is chosen by selecting the rank of your pilot, with Colonel offering the most accurate simulation and steepest challenge, while 1st Lieutenant enjoys unlimited ammo and a plane that is more forgiving to fly and completely invulnerable to collisions. Another great addition to ease in players new to flight sims.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

34 – Blood Money
Publisher: Psygnosis
Developer: DMA Design

First, there was Menace…

Image Image

Pretty well received in the press at the time, but obviously well loved by many ST gamers to appear this high on the list, Blood Money was one of the earliest games developed by DMA Design, the creative force that would go on to create Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto.

Fire it up now, and you might be tempted to dismiss what seems like a pretty hum-drum shoot ’em up. In 1989, however, Blood Money was notable for many interesting and novel features such as its four directional scrolling and the ability to fly different vehicles on the different levels like helicopters and submarines. The game’s unique selling point, though, was the central mechanic of blasting enemies for cash and then spending that cash on upgrades. And upgrades you will need, because the ineffective pea-shooter you start with just isn’t going to cut the mustard. You can get spread shot, reverse fire, speed up your thrusters and a multitude of other upgrades to improve your chances of surviving.

To be honest, my absolute favourite thing about Blood Money is the manual. That might sound like damning with faint praise, but that’s where all the world-building takes place: there’s a letter from the game’s protagonist to his mum promising he’ll be a sensible captain and not join the Alien Safari and an Alien Safari brochure for ‘the folks back home’ to laugh about. It’s just delightful. Bring back manuals, I say!

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

33 – The Bard’s Tale
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Interplay

They disbelieved my wind dragon… They possessed my greater demon… Now it’s up to the Bard and his magic fire horn.

https://i1.wp.com/thejoyofsticks.com/wp ... .gif?w=648 Image

The Bard’s Tale was originally released as Tales of the Unknown: Volume 1 on the Apple II in 1985 and was absolutely revolutionary. The unprecedented animated 3D graphical representation of the game world alongside detailed portraits served to hook players into this evocative adventure. The evil Mangar has frozen the lands of Skara Brae with a spell of eternal winter and it’s up to you and your rag-tag band of wastrels and nobodies to save it.

Gameplay consists of you creating a group of six player characters and proceeding to level them and gear them up until they are strong enough to take on the dangerous enemies in three dungeons. Along the way you’ll be swiping important items and solving puzzles. If all this sounds familiar, that’s probably just a testament to how influential this game has become.

Bard’s Tale is one of those games that builds a fascinating world that’s a pleasure to exist in. So yes, you do have this over-arching quest that needs to be fulfilled, but to be honest, it’s such a treat just to explore, find new things, make progress and vanquish enemies you were previously unable to that it’s easy to get lost in the game and forget all about Mangar and his evil schemes.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

32 – SunDog: Frozen Legacy
Released: 1986
Publisher/Developer: FTL games

Star freighter SunDog requesting emergency assistance… fuel low… shields failing… unable to make port…

Image Image

Originally released on the Apple II a year prior, SunDog: The Frozen Legacy was to be the first of three astounding games that FTL would unleash on the ST. Not a bad hit rate, really, FTL. Only three games released, but all of them absolutely stonking.In fact, FTL originally planned to release more games in the SunDog series, but the success of Dungeon Master meant that they plowed all of their resources into that series instead.

You start SunDog as the underdog. You have been enslaved and forced to work in the glass mines. Your uncle has recently died and bequeathed you his ship. Now, that’s given you a little taste of freedom and you want more. If you can fulfill your uncle’s promise to start a colony you can earn that freedom. Unfortunately the ship he’d left you has seen its fair share of action and is currently being held together by little more than gaffa tape and rat poo.

At the beginning of the game you’ll be walking around your ship and interacting with the different consoles and systems to see what you need to repair. Then it’s up to you to travel to town in the buggy to buy the correct parts, repair those systems and then get busy living up to your uncle’s legacy. The game has such a great implementation of a mouse and window driven interface, before such things were commonplace. There’s a neat open-view ship graphic and it looks a lot like the recent indie hit FTL (that can’t be a coincidence, right?)

The attention to detail in the game is astounding. For example, if you park your vehicle in the street when visiting the bank, you will get a parking ticket. While you’re out and about in the town, you run the risk of being mugged by the local thugs, and losing the money you are carrying. You’ll have to look after yourself as well as your ship: you will become tired if you don’t rest and will get hungry if you don’t eat. I could go on and on about the brilliance of this game, but it will be best served if you just pick yourself up a copy and have a go for yourself.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

31 – Rick Dangerous
Publisher: Firebird
Developer: Core Design

WAAAAAAaaaaaAAAaaaaHHHHhhhh!

Image https://i0.wp.com/thejoyofsticks.com/wp ... .gif?w=648

I seem to be referencing historical significance a lot this week, so I won’t buck that trend when talking about a game from the team that would go on to make Tomb Raider flexing their plagiarism muscles again here to come up with another take on the Indiana Jones phenomenon with our friend Rick here.

I say our friend, but there is very little that is friendly about a game of Rick Dangerous. It’s an absolute git. Random, unforeseeable and unavoidable death stalk you around every corner in this game, right from the word go. I say random, but that’s not entirely accurate and the predictability of the dangers Rick faces is central to the game’s design. Things seem random until you’ve learned them. And learn them you must if you are to make any progress at all. Where was that hidden spike? When will that blow dart fire? Which direction will the bat fly in? I’m not a big fan of trial and error gameplay usually, and you will die and die again as you learn Rick’s secrets, but knowledge, as they say, is power and as soon as you know each level inside out, you will begin to rinse them. And that’s satisfying. Deeply satisfying.

The thing that keeps you coming back for more during all this punishment is just how tight the design is here. Rick is responsive and enjoyable to control, the collision detection is spot on and the game is chock full of charm thanks to the cheeky sprites and over the top samples. The game might have simply been infamous for its difficulty or just dismissed as a mere precursor to one of the most successful franchises of all time, but thanks to these deft touches the game has tons of heart and because of that, Rick Dangerous is a classic in its own right.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

Another bunch of greats. Blood Money only disappointed with the annoyingly short shot distance. World's first case of a impotent space blaster weapon. Falcon really deserves more credit today, these old 3D flight sims are often seen as old hat, but the speed and fluidity of Falcon was astonishing at the time, and it was actually easy to pick up and get straight into, unlike some flight sims where you spent have an hour searching through the manual to turn the engine on and another half an hour trying to take off, before spending half an hour flying to your destination. I'm still waiting for something I completely disagree with being worthy of being in there.. ;)
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

Here are the next 5! Watch the video here if you'd prefer: https://youtu.be/0QobOEM-hQo Or read it on my blog here: http://thejoyofsticks.com/the-top-50-atari-st-games#30 Enjoy!

30 – Millenium 2.2
Publisher: Electric Dreams
Developer: Software Studios

Return to Earth.

Image Image

You have witnessed a catastrophic event. As the leader of the Moon colony, you watched as a 20 trillion ton asteroid struck the Earth, making it completely uninhabitable. All that is left of humanity is you, your small group of colonists and a band of half-human mutants living on Mars. It is up to you to ensure the survival of the species by exploring and colonising the Solar System.

The game unfolds as you direct the inhabitants of the Moon Colony to mine the correct resources, research new technologies and construct space craft that will allow you to explore the solar system. Resources on the barren, rocky moon are limited, but there are untold riches to be found on far flung moons and microplanets.

Unfortunately those dastardly Martians are not happy to sit back and watch you dominate the Solar System planetoid by planetoid and declare that any craft seen leaving the Moon will be considered an act of war.

Most of the game is presented through static screens where your decisions are made via clicking on icons. This UI is so good, so intuitive that the manual does very little to tell the player what they must do. It tells you what each UI element does but then leaves you to explore the options and courses of action available for yourself. There are some live action sequences were you must hop into the seat of a defense fighter to blast the Martians to smithereens before they bomb the colony.

One of the most remarkable pieces of music on the ST plays during the simple but effective opening sequence. David Whittaker’s excellent adaptation of the Adagietto from Mahler’s Symphony No. 5. This stunningly beautiful piece of music, which was composed as a love song to his wife, is used as a bitter counterpoint the tragedy of a dying Earth.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

29 – Super Cars 2

You like cars too? Super!

Image Image

Magnetic Field’s second game on the list absolutely entranced me the first time I saw it. I was a huge Super Sprint fan thanks to the super tight racing on offer there, and had experienced the first Super Cars, which brilliantly utilised weapons and upgrades to add a little more spice, but it was a little lacklustre in the driving physics department.

This sequel however, nails the driving while retaining the fun power-ups and destruction from the first game and wrapping it all in a typically excellent Magnetic Fields sense of style. Fans of Lotus will be familiar with the premium wood and leather presentation on offer here.

In between races, the action is punctuated by entertaining and funny, almost RPG like, question and answers sessions. Where a journalist or driving inspector will grill you for the opportunity for some bonus cash to spend on your car. Be careful though, because you might just end up with a hefty fine.

The racing action is fast and fierce, especially after some engine upgrades, and your rival AI racers will really infuriate you on higher difficulty levels. This, combined with the randomness of these kinds of violent arcade racers can be frustrating, but the animosity that you feel towards your opponents just makes it all the more satisfying when you shove a missile up their jacksy.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

28 – Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge

Sometimes, the original is best.

Image Image

Following on the heels of Magnetic Fields’ finest overhead arcade racer comes their finest vanishing point racer.

One of the things that really struck me when I first saw this game was the presentation. Now that sounds like a pretty shallow thing to appreciate in a game, but that swish opening sequence really sets the scene for this game. Sports cars are all about elegance and style, and this game did its best to emulate that. A beautifully rendered Esprit winks me while Ben Dalglish pours aural adrenaline into my ears and I’m ready to love this game before my feet even touch the pedals.

But what of the game itself? Racing games live and die by two things: the sense of speed and the thrill of overtaking. Lotus does both better than nearly every other racing game on the ST and as a result it is one of the best racing games on the ST. Indeed, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge is one of the best of its genre on any system.

Many prefer the sequels, and the features and improvements that they added, but me, a purest? I’m happiest when playing the original. And judging by its position in the chart, I’m not alone. This was the only game in the series to have a straight race against opponents without a clock and it’s the only one to have a pits and a fuel gauge to keep an eye on and consider during races. And well, maybe it just has a special place in people’s hearts because it’s the first. And we all remember our first, right?

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

27 – Turrican
Publisher: Rainbow Arts
Developer: Factor 5

Your struggle gigantic… your firepower gargantuan… your failure… genocide!!!!!!

Image Image

Morgul, master of all the fears and nightmares of mankind is back to his old tiricks again and its up to you to don the metallic pants of awesome known as the Turrican Suit and show him the door.

Luckily, you have a few tricks up your silver sleeves to help you on your way. You can lob grenades, drop mines, blast out walls of death and turn into a living ninja star in order to despatch enemies, but that’s not all. Holding down the fire button projects a crackling bolt of lightning from the end of your gun that you can direct towards the oncoming alien hordes. Ooh, and let’s not forget the power ups you can pick up to apply new effects to your standard laser blaster. Now there’s useful.

Some people are not going to be happy that this one beat its younger sibling to a higher position on this list. On the surface, it seems that the sequel is the same game but better, but I guess people voted for the game they held most fondly in their memories just like with Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, and its the original that won out.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link

26 – Starglider 2
Publisher: Rainbird
Developer: Argonaut Software

The Egrons strike back!

Image Image

If you think of this game like Star Wars, but better, you wouldn’t be far wrong. The Egrons (The Empire) are trying to wipe out the Novenians (Rebels) by building a planet destroying Giant Beam Projector (Death Star). An ace pilot names Jaysan (Luke) agrees to join the fleet to try to destroy the evil weapon before it can be assembled. Great stuff. And not an Ewok or Gungan in sight.

From the banging reggae rock of the intro music to the little novella you get in the box, you can tell that Starglider 2 is a labour of love. But the real beauty of Starglider 2 is in its smooth filled polygon vector graphics. Argonaut really knew what they were doing here. It’s interesting to note that the 3D tech that Argonaut cut their teeth on here would help them to go on to develop the Super FX chip for Nintendo’s vector based brilliance seen in Starfox (known as Starwing here in the UK). Argonaut were certainly pioneers for gaming’s first forays into 3D, so it’s worth playing this game for its historical significance alone, but aside from all that, it’s a brilliant game in its own right.

Atarimania link
Atari Legend link
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Starglider 2 is one of the few games I bought for my STfm (mostly I played PD games, and coded) and I still have it in the closet along with the other games.

Argonaut SW supported games both on color and mono monitors, which one of the reasons I bought Starglider 2, besides liking earlier Starglider I a lot.

I only had TV in addition to my monochrome monitor though, and picture on latter was so much better. Filled polygons just didn't look as good when dithered to monochrome as non-filled polygons. So I preferred Starglider (from Power pack disk) in mono and quick blasts over longer sessions of Starglider 2...

(I've checked few cracked versions of them in emulators, but they seem to have screwed up the mono support.)

Return to “Games - General”