Favourite 3D games that look visually pleasing?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

TomH
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Favourite 3D games that look visually pleasing?

Post by TomH »

Atari74user wrote:Yeah, I do remember it being a demo too, I remember it on screens constantly in my local computer shop, I think for the Archimedes. I remember the fuss at the time because it wasn't just a 3D game, it was a groundbreaking 3D game, shadows, lighting, pretty smooth rendering and little details.
The surprising thing is that the Archimedes original isn't particularly optimised; another developer picked it up a couple of years ago and has managed to increase the draw depth massively (Youtube link, with commentary).
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Atari74user »

The surprising thing is that the Archimedes original isn't particularly optimised; another developer picked it up a couple of years ago and has managed to increase the draw depth massively (Youtube link, with commentary).
That's interesting, I think I briefly read that somewhere. A lot of dedication from that guy from Youtube.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

Atari74user wrote:
This little article here is exactly how I remember the story as a kid, complete with teacher allowing us to play it on the Archimedes at school: http://www.flatbatteries.com/zarch.html
Cool to hear more about Virus, got that link bookmarked for reading when the times right this week.

We had acorns at high school, if they we're the same kind of machine I never knew they we're capable of more than an ST for graphics.
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

Thanks again everyone!

Turned out the only visual I used for that bit, was 'Interphase'. A favourite of mine too! But being passionate about these things its good to sift through every possibility before you commit.

The videos coming along very well now and I've recently included a Circus theme which suits the vibe nicely.
After many hours of sifting through 3D games and finding rare/interesting visuals to play with, I'm now onto the bit where the music goes haywire & fast, expect ecstasy influences (might even use part of the game 'ecstase' which unsuprisingly is full of classic Jungle samples & looks like a Helter Skelter Flyer!), Buggy Boy, Trailblazer, & whatever else I can find to accompany the rest of my wee characters. Buzzing to see it come together nicely, it's taking ages, but worth every second :-))
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

So many great suggestions here, nice one peeps!

I used interphase, a personal favourite of mine, for the main bit I want in the video.

Extensor was a great one too, but yes, I'm glad most agree that Virus is probably one of the most visually pleasing 3D games which comes to mind!

Still working on it, when it's finished I'll post it here & see what peeps think.

If anyone wants to contribute a demo/piece of art that could work with this space themed / whacky graphics based Atari ST video, it'd be great to see if I can include something you might take joy in seeing in the vid :-)
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

There are already some great suggestions on here - I would also recommend
Simulcra - awesome environment. (as previously mentioned)

I'm also going to through in Arctic Fox, another game I love. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

If anyone wants to see it, here's the finished video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBOyr35aODs

Not the best quality I could get for youtube, but should look amazing live on a big screen :-)
Might put it on vimeo, not sure. Nastynaut!
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

If anyone's interested, here's the finished video!

Plenty of Atari ST games & samples you'll recognise, featuring a Remix of Operation Stealth.

More to come as I work on making this into a live act, remixing Overlander, Cosmic Pirates,
Zynaps, The Games - Summer Edition, Turrican II, Speedball & many more, in my own silly way.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBOyr35aODs
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

(no need to post your video in so many thread, man - that makes it look like spam)

A nicely wicked animation this is! :D

Return to “Games - General”